Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanks

BrotherSurplice's Avatar Semisalis

Default Tanks

I see on the model page that you have several different types of tanks down for the British (e.g. Mk I's, Mk IV's, Whippets e.t.c).

When tanks are implemented, will all of these tanks be available as soon as the tech is researched, or will they need different buildings?

You could have two different types of tech, like "primitive tanks" and "advanced tanks." "Primitive tanks" could just unlock the Mk I's, while "advanced tanks" could unlock the Mk IV's and Whippets.

Also, what building do you plan to make tanks available from? I would have thought the artillery buildings.

Lastly, has there been any progress with getting models into the game?

Thanks.

Default Re: Tanks

As for building....hmmm... probably make it like experimental howitzer somewhat, that way so its not so readily available in the beginnning since tanks didnt really enter the field in large numbers until Cambrai in late 1916.

They will probably be made either from artillery buildings or military factory/industrial buildings.

They will be available through an advanced/late-game tech, but advanced vs. primitive of tanks remains to be seen.

And Bdizzle is making good progress in the importation of the first artillery piece.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

i think it would be better to divide them as light tanks and heavy tanks instead of primitive and advanced IMO...

They didn't really have heavy tanks back then, did they?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Flagon Slayer View Post
    Heavy Tanks

They didn't really have very advanced tanks back then, did they?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Advanced Tanks

BrotherSurplice's Avatar Semisalis

Oooooh yes they did. The first tanks were slow, heavily armoured (for the time) and really friggin heavy. Which is everything that a heavy tank should be.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama
    Well, I mean advanced for the time.

Patrician

Yeah the first tank ever invented wasa heavy tank, what we would consider advanced tanks werent being produced until the very end of the war and were never used in battle.

Were there any light tanks during WW1?
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Yeh the whippit.

Ah, so the Whippit will be faster than the heavy tanks, right?
    New website for AtC (Advance to Combat, formerly known as Nations at War) Check it out here! We average 155 unique hits a day! AtC is a mod for Empire Total War focusing on implementing modern-day units into custom battles.

I am andand! Woo!

The Renault could technically be considered a light tank...and a slightly advance one for it had a rotating turret,

Civis

it could be one of artilery technologies in tech tree (like rotating turret) and when you researcg that you will be able to recruit reanault and other tanks with ratiting turrets
    "Your majesty will faster see Vysla streaming backwards than lithuanians and their etmon routing"

I suppose those could be considered Heavy Tanks since their military named them so. I would consider them to be more along the lines of a Medium Tank, with a Heavy Tank being able to withstand all but the most destructive shells on earth. A matter of perspective I guess, I'll concede to seeing Heavy Tanks so long as infantry who are armed with anti-tank weapons are still able to bring them down, albeit slower than Light Tanks.

infantry who are armed with anti-tank weapons are still able to bring them down, albeit slower than Light Tanks.
    You mean making it so that infantry take longer to blow up a heavy tank than a light tank? Would that be unrealistic, I wonder? Also, it would anti-tank guys kind of worthless or bad compared to light tanks.

I am andand! Woo!

Patrician

I suppose those could be considered Heavy Tanks since their military named them so. I would consider them to be more along the lines of a Medium Tank, with a Heavy Tank being able to withstand all but the most destructive shells on earth. A matter of perspective I guess, I'll concede to seeing Heavy Tanks so long as infantry who are armed with anti-tank weapons are still able to bring them down, albeit slower than Light Tanks.
    Heavy doesnt necessarily mean it can take a ton of damage, no tank or anything else could stand up to the most destructive shells on earth, your thinking of it too much in the video game sense of the meaning and not historical, heavy tanks were larger slower and packed more fire power than light tanks thats the real distinction

Also anti tank guns in WW1 were actually large rifles and not so much a bazooka type of weapon which goes to show how thin the armor was back then.
    Last edited by B-DizL; September 20, 2010 at 06:36 PM.

Ah, but were they better at blowing up tanks than light tanks?

I am andand! Woo!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Ah, but were they better at blowing up tanks than light tanks?
    Yup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast