Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ran No Jidai - Castles&Sieges

Default Ran No Jidai - Castles&Sieges

you need to get multiple walls and moats into the game if you can for ultr realism, i have layouts for the edo, osaka, and hemijei strongholds, all with many many walls, some with up to 3 moats.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang
    you need to get multiple walls and moats into the game if you can for ultr realism, i have layouts for the edo, osaka, and hemijei strongholds, all with many many walls, some with up to 3 moats.

I really want sieges on castles instead of giant cities where you only use a small section of one wall. Could be alot of fun with a whole castle under siege.

A ridiculously well protected castle would make the odd siege challenging and ridiculously hard like real life.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    A ridiculously well protected castle would make the odd siege challenging and ridiculously hard like real life.
    yeah, I don't want multiple moats and things... haha

Well, all i'm saying is that was what the castles were actually like, and beleive me (i was at a few) - as defenses they would work, and it would give a nice setting for the use of cannon later in the game. It also means the only way in is to follow the path and force the gates. If it could be done it would make seiges epic and fantastic, and as you said realistic.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Here are links a few shots I took while living in Japan

Himeiji overview
    inner gate
    Osaka castle main gate
    Osaka castle inner moat
    Himeiji main tower
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

well, I've heard the AI won't attack any wall inside a first wall, they'll just leave their siege engines behind. so multiple walls might not work. I'm not too sure of it, tho, so you could still try it.

and then there's the fact that sieges and assaults are way too common in RTW engine, since you can't pull your troops out to meet an enemy before he besieges you (which is an EXTREMELY stupid gameplay restriction by CA's part).

Solar:

Any inner walls could be left with uncloseable gates, like in STW. These would still act as chokepoints, hindering the enemy advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TomteOfDoom
    Solar:

Any inner walls could be left with uncloseable gates, like in STW. These would still act as chokepoints, hindering the enemy advance.
    sounds good to me.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

I can get access to a book called "Japanese castles, 1540-1640 " by Stephen Turnbull. Here is the summary:

"From the introduction of stone walls and tower keeps in the mid-16th century to the last battle of the Age of Warring States, this book traces the development and combat history of the Japanese castle. The great sieges of Nagashino, Kitanosho and Odawara are all featured, and life in a besieged castle is reconstructed. "
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Quote Originally Posted by TomteOfDoom
    Solar:

There is something similar in roman big cities , the buildings make the units do a focred path to reach the central plaza , I only I could edit those settlement plans we could have good castles...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

One of the major issues with castles is that they need to have a spiral entrance... Japanese castles usually used a spiral entrance were attackers who had broken the gate still had to run down a long gauntlet of arrows and musket fire.

Also do we attempt to make grappling ropes? They were comonly used in Japan

RESCOURCE:

http://pages.ca.inter.net/~ttoyooka/oshiro/
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Guys we cannot make collapsable buildings , this is a problem and means no trebutchets and no cannons and no sappers....

only ladders and rams and perhaps if is historical towers , other forms of disrupting walls can't work at the moment ....

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Just a thought;

Any hindrance you make (like inner walls) will be a hindrance only to AI. I'm sure it won't be able to use any of it properly in city defence. AI just doesn't know how to use choke points. So you'd be making city defense too easy for human player.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts
    Guys we cannot make collapsable buildings , this is a problem and means no trebutchets and no cannons and no sappers....

only ladders and rams and perhaps if is historical towers , other forms of disrupting walls can't work at the moment ....
    All of the walls should be like towers (firing missiles) but not many specific towers existed like in Europe
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager
    Just a thought;

Any hindrance you make (like inner walls) will be a hindrance only to AI. I'm sure it won't be able to use any of it properly in city defence. AI just doesn't know how to use choke points. So you'd be making city defense too easy for human player.
    It's the same in Rome Total War, with only a few streets to access the town square, so I don't see the difference.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by random hero
    It's the same in Rome Total War, with only a few streets to access the town square, so I don't see the difference.
    The difference will be obvious when you'll put archers on inner walls as well - if that is possible, naturally.

actually Japanese castles and city defense is really crappy, they do not have good siege equipment, Japanese castle can be anything, even you put a wood around a area that place can be called city or castle. well, I would say there's only 3 close to defineation of castles in Japan. so make the castles weaker which is nessasary.

Japanese casltes were built like mazes with lots of dead ends to confuse attackers. But since we have aerial survellence unless we decide to turn it off, we don't really need to portray that.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager
    The difference will be obvious when you'll put archers on inner walls as well - if that is possible, naturally.
    the AI will be able to pathfind regardless of archers, that will only make it harder on the attacker, but as the Japanese bows were weak anyways, it sounds like it will work out to me.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast