Thread: Clive Cussler

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Default Clive Cussler

Who has read his books?

I have read seven of them so far, I intend to go through the entire Dirk Pitt series. They are very good. You might know one of them, a movie was done on it. Recently, called "Sahara". He is proclaimed the 'Grandmaster of adventure'.

What do you think of them?

The only Clive Cussler book I ever read was this one about a Japanese car company sending nukes over on transport ships ... Dirk ends up detonating an old nuke and causing a huge tsunami, wiping out their base. It was pretty cool and well done. I don't recall the name; "Dragon" or something...

I also saw "Sahara" and liked it, entertaining action movie. So I'll have to read the book one of these days...

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    The only Clive Cussler book I ever read was this one about a Japanese car company sending nukes over on transport ships ... Dirk ends up detonating an old nuke and causing a huge tsunami, wiping out their base. It was pretty cool and well done. I don't recall the name; "Dragon" or something...

I also saw "Sahara" and liked it, entertaining action movie. So I'll have to read the book one of these days...
    Dragon is correct. That is one of the books I have read. Very good one.

i've read and own all the Dirk Pitt ones, they just absolutely rock...

i got a little bored with Kurt Austen and the NUMA files though... Kurt is just a recycled version of Dirk, because Dirk had gotten too old, he may have different likres and interests, but he's really just Dirk over again, with a spanish side kick instead of an italian one...

Raise the Titanic has also been made into a movie, but it was soooo bad Cussler disasociated himself from it. he's also launched a law suit against who-ever did Sahara, he apparently hates the movie and claims they didn't keep to their contract in making it...
    i have to say, the movie was on the bad side of average IMO, and really only like the book in terms of similarity of events...
    Sahara is one of the best Dirk Pitt books and the movie so does not do it justice. Valhalla Rising is also a good one...

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

A quick Clive Cussler rant - like Stephen King and Tom Clancy, many of his books have the same general theme
    (prologue about a mysterious lost Incan/Aztec/Chinese treasure; madman out to destroy earth with virus/sonic wave/giant iceberg making device; totally hot meterologist/anthropologist/geologist with big tits who humps Dirk Pitt silly in the back of the NUMAmobile) And WTF is up with Abe Lincoln ending up in the Sahara!?!

That being said - he's a good genre writer who's pretty entertaining. I personally liked Inca Gold and would also recommend his Sea Hunters books about real-life expeditions.