Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

interestin story "storyteller"

I would like to be the one to welcome you to the forums.

If you would like, I would encourage you to write a small piece introducing yourself in the general section-it might be interesting to hear more about you...

I for one always believe in the divine power of laughter. So my quote then, from gladiatior,

"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

Anyway, back onto the topic......*
    back on topic tomyris? At last someone writes something decent in this thread and you want to go back to LOTR?! You should be ashamed of yourself. You and eothain, if you write ANY more LOTR quotes i will use validation on both of you. STOP THE LOTR shite!

BACK ON TOPIC, storyteller, you made me look at this quote in a whole other angle. Thanks. But although Voltaire was a "comedian philosopher", I think he meant the quote in questioning God's purpose. But as you said, i don't know the context of the quote itself, so it can go either way. I think Voltaire was deist though... i have to recheck that.

French writer, satirist, the embodiment of the 18th-century Enlightenment, remembered as a crusader against tyranny and bigotry, a friend of Frederick II of Prussia and Catherina the Great of Russia. Voltaire represented anti-romanticism, wise skepticism, sober classicism; he did not believe in the solution of the great metaphysical problems and his religiosity was anticlerical. But compared to Rousseau's (1712-1778) rebelliousness, Voltaire was deeply rooted in the middle-class values. Voltaire disliked his great competing figure of literature and philosophy, but their ideas influenced deeply the French Revolution. In 1761 he wrote to Rousseau: "One feels like crawling on all fours after reading your work."

EDITED AFTER ALL THIS HAPPENED: Please read all posts below this one.

I will not tolerate people ignoring my rules, ESPECIALLY if it is new members. I will not ban you, i will mod you (Eothain). If you oppose me, then you have the right to leave the forums, if you try to rationalize what you have done, then be my guest, but don't act like a 10 year old kid.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Eothain's Avatar woo

i will use validation on both of you.
    You'll do what?
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

S...sorry, great Siblesz!
    But we were authorised to do this.....
    At the bidding of Lord Aden the Great, senior moderater!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

I'll use validation on you. That means that every post you make on this topic will be checked before i let it be posted. Lord Aden the great.... i made this thread and i intended this thread to be phisolophical, not LOTR crap. If you want to create an LOTR thread only then go ahead. IF you are too lazy to do so then I'll just press delete for every LOTR quote is see here.

Storyteller, excuse these LOTRies... I hate them as much as you.

Member of S.I.N.

You're so right, Siblesz. We were foolish to anger you, to incurr your wrath.
    With your permission, I will indeed start up a topic on LOTR quotes solely...
    Oh, by the way, I only meant "Back on topic" jokingly, hence the .
    Delete them all!

Eothain's Avatar woo

If there's going to be this damn tyranny and prejudice then i'll just leave! Go ahead and ban me!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

Eothain, shut up. I would like you to leave on your own if you're going to be such an a$$ to me and to the forums.

Posts deleted as you asked tomyris.

BTW, i checked how many posts about LOTR you wrote after storyteller posted, and the number was 15 posts. THIS IS UNTOLERABLE!

Member of S.I.N.

Ah, that's easier to breathe in.
    Anyway, back on topic........

Welcome Storyteller, when I saw your very first post your name intrigued me, and your most recent post here on this thread has only increased that interest.

You sound like you have quite an interesting story to tell.....

Eothain's Avatar woo

Fine. Good-bye. Farewell. Or perhaps... Narmarie.

You can now ban my account if you like as I won't be coming back.

Edit: And I have nothing against the forum.

God... sometimes people have to grow up. Go ahead... leave... what have you done to contribute to this forum? It is alright to post SOME things about LOTR, but it is not alright to post EVERYTHING about LOTR.

Member of S.I.N.

Fine. Good-bye. Farewell. Or perhaps... Narmarie.

You can now ban my account if you like as I won't be coming back.
    Ooh. He took that rather harshly.
    I took it as a constructive comment.

Wulf's Avatar Lurks

Finally - this LotR crap is lifted. Thanks for breaking the oppressive atmosphere Storyteller!

Smith

Storyteller is The One.......
    The anomaly in the system.....

Anibal Barca

very funny Mr.Smith! But beware coz you may be starting a dangerous series of Matrix quotes... lol j/k

Welcome Storyteller, you're definitely a very nice Storyteller

And now my contribution, narrated by Plutarch...

When before the battle of Cannae, Varro had hung out his purple cloak as a signal for battle...""this boldness of the consul and the numerousness of his army, double theirs, startled the Carthaginians. But Hannibal commanded them to their arms, and with a small train rode out to take a full prospect of the enemy as they were now forming in their ranks, from a rising ground not far distant. One of his followers, called Gisgo, a Carthaginian of equal rank with himself, told him that the numbers of the enemy were astonishing; to which Hannibal replied with a serious countenance, "There is one thing, Gisgo, yet more astonishing, which you take no notice of." And when Gisgo inquired what, he answered... "in all those great numbers before us, there is not one man called Gisgo." This unexpected jest of their general made all the company laugh, and as they came down from the hill, they told it to those whom they met, which caused a general laughter amongst them all…""

The coolness of Hannibal Barca... THE (real) ONE!

Btw, I'm with you on this one Siblesz! It's a bit lack of respect, to the person who starts a topic, to continuously go against his intention for what he wanted this thread to be, especially after some personal 'warnings'. And 15 posts after that 'The Storyteller's post !! That means between yesterday and today :ph34r:
    I, myself, watched and enjoyed very much the 2 LOTR movies, and I can't wait for the 3rd one, but 'bombing' this thread with LOTR quotes (some very beautiful I must say) was also driving away other members from posting, who seeing this was not what they were looking for simply did not post the quotes they previously meant to. Having said this, let's all try to make a funny interesting awe-inspiring HISTORICAL 'Library' shall we

The Storyteller

A welcome I never expected! *blink blink*

Since I'm on a roll...

'If one makes many calculations [plans] before battle, victory is assured. If one makes few calculations before battle, defeat is certain.'

- Art of War

I applied this principle assiduously in my final film project at university. It was meant to be a group project but I was not at all keen to work with the other students on the course. There were various reasons for this, but chief among them was that I didn't feel they were as committed to this principle as I was.

So I (rather arrogantly&#33 recruited crew and actors from among my acquaintances, called in personal favours and made promises of assistance to finally put together a team who understood the need for prior planning. Of course, because it wasn't THEIR project, I could just plan and incorporate their advice... without being forced to take it. It freed me from having to have meeting after meeting with groupmates who didn't see the need for meetings... No, I just did all the production work by myself, passed everyone their intructions, and told them to raise any problems they had.

And boy did I plan. I planned for THREE MONTHS to put together a 9 minute video. I thought about all the variables and problems, and tailored the script to minimise them. I wrote a script that only required one location, and made sure the location was so near my house that I could easily have pushed the equipment there in a supermarket trolley. It was an indoor location, so the weather was out of the picture. Schedules, storyboards, plans... Everything was planned down to the last detail.

It's funny, but people choose to see film making as a magical, creative process that happens on the spot. I choose to see it as a magical, creative process that happens before the first actors arrives on the scene. The earlier in advance i plan, the more time I have to get creative. The more rigidly I enforce my plans, the more time I have left at the end to squeeze in creative shots. The more I anticipate problems, the more time I have to deal with problems that do arrive.

Lots of student film makers, their minds filled with the words of directors talking about 'brilliant mistakes', never plan. They just turn up with their stuff, not knowing how long a shoot will take, and brief their actors on the spot. Alas, if brilliant mistakes happened all the time, they would neither be brilliant nor mistakes.

It DID pay off in the end. I finished shooting a full day and a half ahead of schedule than everyone else. Editing finished half a day earlier. My film was sent for 2 film festivals, and was hailed as 'the best film this course has ever seen, be it by an MA or a BA student' (courtesy of the course director)

Okay, I'm blowing my own trumpet so loudly that my ears are falling off

But this is a principle I still believe in. In projects or presentations, just as in warfare, prior planning will very often carry the day. Which may well be the reason why Wellington had so much success in his day. He was by no means a military genius, and he seldom fought with flair and flashy tactics, but boy did he plan. Likewise, the failure of many a commander to plan has led to armies dying of cold in Russia.

There's a website that talks about this as well in terms of computer game design. www.sirlin.net Great site.

Shall leave off my terrible bragging now

very funny Mr.Smith! But beware coz you may be starting a dangerous series of Matrix quotes...
    Don't worry, Anibal, Smith won't be posting again- he was my backup userfile when a certain evil person broke into my account, but that definitely won't happen again, and so I won't be using Smith again.

Words I live by,,,

The following eight counsels are a basic guide to Epicurean living.

1) Don't fear God.
    2) Don't worry about death.
    3) Don't fear pain.
    4) Live simply.
    5) Pursue pleasure wisely.
    6) Make friends and be a good friend.
    7) Be honest in your business and private life.
    8) Avoid fame and political ambition.
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Originally posted by The Storyteller@Nov 14 2003, 05:48 AM
    It's funny, but people choose to see film making as a magical, creative process that happens on the spot. I choose to see it as a magical, creative process that happens before the first actors arrives on the scene. The earlier in advance i plan, the more time I have to get creative. The more rigidly I enforce my plans, the more time I have left at the end to squeeze in creative shots. The more I anticipate problems, the more time I have to deal with problems that do arrive.
    There is a lot of truth to this, but sometimes the greatest accomplishments in history have been done by mistake. People that plan ahead TOO much are likely to leave off something in the way. I know as a fact that there are people that take their time doing stuff and other people that have to be pressured by someone or something in order to complete their stuff in time. I am one of those "slobs" and I can say that when i am under pressure to complete a task in a short amount of time, i will do it a lot better than if i plan ahead. That's just how i am though.

Member of S.I.N.

Amnt

Words can damage. Silence can heal. Knowing when to speak and when not to speak is the wisdom of sages.
    Knowledge can hinder. Ignorance can liberate. Knowing when to know and when not to know is the wisdom of prophets.
    Unimpeded by words, silence, knowledge, or ignorance, a fluent blade cuts cleanly. This is the wisdom of warriors.

Suzume no Kumo (1434)

I do not feel like reading the last pages, nor to go into a political argument just yet.
    That's my favourite quote at the moment, since it is very true.

I'll remember a more engaging one soon...