Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

Time for Ancient Greece to speak! :

Sophocles
    "If you are out of trouble, watch for danger."
    "There is no success without hardship."

Socrates
    "The nearest way to glory is to strive to be what you wish to be thought to be."
    ''Look death in the face with joyful hope, and consider this a lasting truth: the righteous man has nothing to fear, neither in life, nor in death, and the gods will not forsake him.''
    ''The unexamined life is not worth living.''

Epictetus
    "Practice yourself, for heaven's sake, in little things; and thence proceed to greater."

Aristotle
    "It concerns us to know the purpose we seek in life, for then, like archers aiming at a definitive mark, we shall be more likely to attain what we want."
    "To perceive is to suffer."
    ''Young men err in everything by excess and vehemence, contrary to the precept of Chilon; they do all things too much, since they love and hate too much, and likewise in everything else. They fancy and insist that they know all things, and this is why they overdo everything.''

Pindar
    "Success for the striver washes away the effort of striving."

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

Civitate

Now, one of my favourites:

"If you(pl) do not want me, I want you(pl)!"
    Alexandru Lapusneanu, a romanian voievode, when returning to retake the throne of Moldavia.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I'm sorry if my post causes fits of anger for some of the members; it is related to Lotr (partially)

FACT: Tolkien writes in his prologue that none of the events in his book have ANYTHING to do with the things that went on in real life. Remember that he was forming the idea already in the trenches of WWI.

"An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely complex, and attempts to refine the process are at best guesses from evidence that is inadequate and ambigious. It is also false, though naturally attractive, when the lives of an author and a critic have overlapped, to suppose that the movements of thought or the events of times common to both were necessarily the most powerful influences. One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war to feel fully its oppression; but as the years go by it seems now often forgotten that to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hiedous an experience than to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead."
    Tolkien in his prologue for Lord of The Rings.

I will not quote him further, but he goes on to deny the connection between the scouring of the shire and the post-war situation in england.

I also have a quote in mind (not from LOTR, mind you)!

"you have cut off your right hand with your left"
    - an advisor to emperor Valentinian III, the emperor had just killed his finest general, Flavius Aetius "the las Roman" with the Imperial Sword.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Civitate

Stalin said:

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of one milion is merely a statistic."

Quite the affaire, isn't it?! -_-

JvlivsCaesar's Avatar Civitate
    San Francisco, CA. But I whant to be in Sankt Peterburg.

Stalin also said "No man, no problem"
    That gouse to show everyone that Stalin wasent realy profound and should not be quoted unless done by profetional phyciotrists just to see how insane he really was.
    Caveat Lector

JvlivsCaesar's Avatar Civitate
    San Francisco, CA. But I whant to be in Sankt Peterburg.

Back to the topic my favorit quote is
    "Those Who Come Into Russia With A Sword Shall Fall From It" By St Alexaner Nevsky.
    Caveat Lector

solid's Avatar Civitate

these are funny quotes

when the persian king xerxes at the battle terpmophylia demanded that the spartans should give in their weapons their answer was:"come and get them"

also from the spartans

when king phillip the second wrote to the spartans:

"if i conquer sparta i will destroy your city"

they answered: "if"

Here is my national motto:
    Tu madre fue una puta.
    All of you Spanish-speakers can clearly understand what I am trying to say.

Visit my Lair at Uncyclopedia

"The truth is a trap: you can not get it without it getting you; you cannot get the truth by capturing it, only by its capturing you."
    -Kierkegaard

"Great men are meteors destined to burn the earth."

Napoléon Bonaparte

AlecTrevylan006

A secret is best kept by two people, one of whom is dead. –Iosef Stalin

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.

The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching train.

China is a large country, inhabited by many Chinese. –Charles De Gaule

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three rights do make a left.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. --George Patton--

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking. --Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

"My troops may fail to take a position, but are never driven from one!"
    - General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia."
    -Otto Von Bismarck

"All that is neccessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing"
    -Edmund Burke

and nothing completely philosophical sounding, but with no actual meaning

"i've had my share of memories, now i'm drinking to forget" spoken by Nick Summers, a little known philosopher and law teacher. this quote in the right circumstances would have been extremly profound and could perhaps have summed up experiances in for instance the trenches.

it was however an answer to a complaint from a law student on being told they were expected to learn off by heart section 9 of Theft Act 1968 when their teacher didn't know it!

Theft Act section 9
    9.-(1) A person is guilty of burglary if-
    (a) he enters any building or part of a building as a trespasser and with intent to commit any such offence as is mentioned in subsection (2) below; or
    (B) having entered any building or part of a building as a trespasser he steals or attempts to steal anything in the building or that part of it or inflicts or attempts to inflict on any person therein any grievous bodily harm.

(2) The offences referred to in subsection (1)(a) above are offences of stealing anything in the building or part of a building in question, of inflicting on any person therein any grievous bodily harm or raping any woman therein, and of doing unlawful damage to the building or anything therein

this we were told (hopefully in jest&#33 that we had to learn along with numerous other parts of statutes - and no, i didn't type this out from memory!

Civitate

Takeda retainer:

"A samurai don't has to try to forget his wife and children on the battlefield, because a samurai never thinks of them at all."

"One is owner of the words that one does not say, yet slave of those that one does say. "

-Anonymous.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

"one ping, vasili"

ninlarr

"It's better to speak and be thought a fool, then to remain quiet and remove all doubt"

*ot* On another subject I read the first 9 pages of this thread and there was a lot of America bashing from what I can only assume were non-americans. Whats with that? What the F$%K has Britian done so special that makes you think how you do. Becuase no matter what you say. The bottom line is we are THE super-power on the planet. So we sure as hell doing more things right then wrong.

I have learned not to talk about the US' defects.... I know I'm gonna get a 4 page debate out of it if i do.

ninlarr, when you read something against your country and react in rage, ignore it. Nationalism is an evil thing. Don't put your country before your mind. Judge your country's mistakes and do not ignore them. Instead, try to fix or inform people of these mistakes. Don't be blind to the truth and accept other's people's opinions, do not just dismiss these opinions as stupid.

AND please remember. The US is not the World.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

I finally decided that mostly people bash the US just because it is such a huge power. If China were the most powerful country, they'd all be frothing about the Chinese government.

Anyway, it hasn't been the Brits on this board who have done most of the bashing.

Now, wave your hand like this, in a sign of dismissal.

"It's better to speak and be thought a fool, then to remain quiet and remove all doubt"

Hahahahahah. Uhhh... Sorry but thats a quote from mark twain, and he said: It is better to NOT SPEAK and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

Originally posted by ninlarr@Feb 26 2004, 05:17 AM
    Guess that settles that...
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.