Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Third Age Total War "agony" page!

Default Re: Third Age Total War "agony" page!

when a small mordor army attacked my huge gondor army.i was thinking it was going to be easy then i saw about 30 olog-hai trolls charging at me... i was wiped out real bad

The awkward moment when you observe the battlefield realizing your enemy has the high-ground playing as the dwarves vs. High elves...

When you realize that snaga skirmishers are extremely effective at killing your high elven swordsmen mid-charge.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Remeber my SE-campaign, first to ever finish. Had my elite army with might triumvirate Thranduil, Legolas and Haldir in the breach, proud to keept them alive for so long.

Got 3 stacks to siege Baradur since I knew about the Sauron unit and thought he would appear as the balrogs does.
    Aaaand... last siege-turn for Mordor, they attack, but Sauron did not come.
    Yeay! My royal house would live to see another day and bring Mordor down!

My turn: Thranduil is dead. What? He did not die during the battle, did he? Then; plauge! The army in Baradur got the plauge and now Legolas is dead as well...
    Last edited by Ngugi; January 23, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Yesterday.

My "hunter-killer army" led by Arathorn the Merciless, decimated after about 7 battles against both Mordor and Rhùn's armies finally have his last stand against 3 Rhùn's armies. Had been the most epic battle ever fought because odds were ridicolously against my troops, yet they fought till the last one. I ended ordering Arathorn to left the battle, imaging his soldiers that yelled him to run away before the enemy could surround them, so he could survive to tell about their epic story.

Battle ended with a defeat, of course, but i was so satisfied that even an heroic victory couldn't have made me more proud of my men.

Then, ctd. One of the 4-5 i've encountered in about 150turns.

What

the

hell
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Todays agony. Playing as HE, turn 86. As Imladris is getting pounded by OOG and OOtMM i decide to dispatch some backup from Mithlond. Backup consisted of 2 Generals, 4 squads of elven archers and 4 squads of lancers. Imladris was full of troops and holding against attacks nicelly so thought this backup to intercept orc squads lurking around Imladris would be enough.
    About on halfway in Shire lands i encounter a stack of OOG, about 600 troops, thought nothing of it, engaged. Placed my lancers and generals away from archers into a forest and started the battle. All went nicelly, archers doing what they were supposed to and when time was right i charged with my cavalry and flanked the enemy who were charging my archers. Generals were a bit hasty and led the charge, didnt see any spears so all was gravy. As one of my generals started to get a bit bloody i moved him away from the lancers quite far into the woods for safe keeping and turned my attention back at the rumble.
    Suddenly i get a note saying my general has fallen. WTH, cant be the one fighting as he is just fine in the action. Looked up the general i sent away and what do i see: Apparently 2 orcs had followed the gen...ONLY 2 of them as rest of that squad had died. And they attacked the general and killed him while my generals bodyguards sat on their butts and did nothing. Bloddy hell i thought!!! FINE, i still got my other general...a new note...Noble Death...huh? I failed to notice 2 squads of enemy halebird units coming out from the other side of a forest and straight into my cavalry. Generals dead, cavalry gone i manage to win the battle with archers. 4 turns later my mighty backup arrives to Imladris....with 1 halfdead unit of elven archers.

Malin's Avatar Civis

Up until now, I was doing an Eriador campaign to restore Arnor, because I never did it before. 110 turns in it, borders secured, Aragorn is still kicking, alliance done, Annúminas is 500 people away from becoming a large city, but then... a message came saying 'Faction Destroyed'... Please let it be Gundabad, or Rhún or something... but no, it was Gondor, who got morbidly screwed up by Mordor and his uber-troll-catapult stack spamming might. All that work and waiting for nothing...

You can still get it as long as the alliance was still in place when Gondor was destroyed

My Noldor empire just got steamrolled by my former dwarven allies. Suddenly 4 Full stacks of them attacked the Mithlond area, where all my garrisons combined did not even make up 1/4 stack and consisted mostly of elven infantry and light archers. My main army was busy defending Mirkwood with my Silvan allies against Rhûn who had destroyed Dale. Lost 4 Large Cities and the backbone of my economy now

Malin's Avatar Civis

Oh... oh! Good to know that, thanks!

agonizing moments; your allies have a gazillion stacks sitting on their asses (because you killed their direct opponents) but they won't send a soldier to help you take Mordor... there should be a crusade system for good factions, right now Rohan, the 2 elves and even the dwarfes are sleeping... it's just me, Arnor, and Gondor obviously, facing Mordor and Harad

Quote Originally Posted by Mongolhorde View Post
    You can still get it as long as the alliance was still in place when Gondor was destroyed

My Noldor empire just got steamrolled by my former dwarven allies. Suddenly 4 Full stacks of them attacked the Mithlond area, where all my garrisons combined did not even make up 1/4 stack and consisted mostly of elven infantry and light archers. My main army was busy defending Mirkwood with my Silvan allies against Rhûn who had destroyed Dale. Lost 4 Large Cities and the backbone of my economy now
    Same thing happened to me back in 1.3, thats why that area is now a retirement community for triple gold med and heavy archers, cavalry, Eldar and Mithlond swordsmen. Med archers are spread out as I actually pay for them. And yes my best units just sit there. I like building up experienced troops anyway so it works for me.

Warg riders are supposed to be evil side's cavalry forces, but when they charge at the enemy, their charge is pathetic and does almost nothing to the enemy lines, whereas a horse charge obliterates the first line of the infantry and damages the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    Yesterday.

My "hunter-killer army" led by Arathorn the Merciless, decimated after about 7 battles against both Mordor and Rhùn's armies finally have his last stand against 3 Rhùn's armies. Had been the most epic battle ever fought because odds were ridicolously against my troops, yet they fought till the last one. I ended ordering Arathorn to left the battle, imaging his soldiers that yelled him to run away before the enemy could surround them, so he could survive to tell about their epic story.

Battle ended with a defeat, of course, but i was so satisfied that even an heroic victory couldn't have made me more proud of my men.

Then, ctd. One of the 4-5 i've encountered in about 150turns.

What

the

hell
    It's as if all your efforts had never even happened. Being unable to save your progress during a campaign battle, that's a serious agony no matter which mod you play.

having too much money to spend reminiscing about early in the game XD

converting eriador to arnor and realizing that arnor units SUCK!!! I hoped to get Gondor-Type-Heavy-ScrewThemAll'ers.
    Got crappy Men at Arms, just as powerful as goblins! WTF!!!
    reforged kingdom my a**!!!
    now checking every turn if i can recruit anuminas knights or dismounted dunedain knights. all other = fodder.
    oh and lots and lots of ap units, right? no?

oh yes, and one more: 4 stacks of high elves in my territory, milling around my cities
    perfect relations? well, I still dont trust those pointy-ear bastards one bit anyways.
    mirroring their movements with my arnorian grunts just to see a massive dwarven army appear one after another. yeah, perfect relations with them as well.
    10 turns walking around mirroring my "dear allies".
    what are they waiting for? Is there an Octoberfest in Annuminas due to start soon or what?
    Last edited by loony; February 07, 2011 at 04:42 AM.

Reading through this thread while playing a campaign as Eriador and not having had any of these disasters happen to me, while maintaining exellent relations with the elves and dwarves (in my back) .

You just have a tremendous amount of luck

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    Reading through this thread while playing a campaign as Eriador and not having had any of these disasters happen to me, while maintaining exellent relations with the elves and dwarves (in my back) .
    Especially watch out for those hairy guys, once allied I try never to talk to them again, it just gives them a chance to end the alliance. As high elves in a campaign now I have saved Eriador from Gundaband twice, Dwarves once, and Isengard once. How much saving do they need. There is a veritable dwarven choo-choo train coming across the North towards Mithlond because of this. they have bypassed Arnors cities and stacks. What does Arnor do NOT A THING. I am busy crushing Haradrim coastal cities to relieve pressure on Gondor, saving Dale from Rhun operating out of Dorwinion. And Dale would you quit sending your Kings out into Rhunnic territory with a unit of Longbowmen and a catapult. You have to be running out family members. And do not get me started on how many times I have gotten Edoras back for Rohan. Going on 7!!! its turn 163. They have like full stacks wondering around it and never attack it.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by muller227 View Post
    And do not get me started on how many times I have gotten Edoras back for Rohan. Going on 7!!! its turn 163. They have like full stacks wondering around it and never attack it.
    About that; Rohan pleaaaaase cross the bloody Great river. 3 times Ive played HE, SE and Arnor, killed of OotMM, Isen and OoG - but if neither Lothlorien is lost or Minas Thirit, Rohan who now no longer is under attack just chills out with their multiple stacks, while I fight Mordor/Rhun as crazy.

Gives them the little town n.e of the Black Gates but noooo, they wont move over a singel unit over the river from their brodering territory - they gladly wait until Mordor comes and takes it back and I'm still alone to keep 'em evil forces at bay in the northeast...

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

The agony of this moment is that I cannot get any further in the campaign because Isengard keeps sending new armies at me and I cannot get over 3000 gold, because I have to keep dealing with them.

So now I decided to send as many units south as possible to take Isengard down. If now the dwarves decide to attack me in my back (I have outstanding relations), or another "crusade will be called on me, I will quit playing 3rd Age, because it's an insane/ridiculous game then that has no sense.

You have to be able to make progress with the resources you have (I'm very experienced TW player). There is nothing left to upgrade for more income, or taxes to be squeezed out of my population (it's like the Netherlands ) and the only direction left to expand is towards Isengard (I destroyed Gundabad).
    Last edited by William the Silent; February 09, 2011 at 07:58 PM.