Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Age Total War "agony" page!

Battlerager's Avatar Civis

Default Third Age Total War "agony" page!

Okay, stole the idea from a man much smarter than I...

Napoleon Total War "agony" page!

Let's ask questions, and answer ourselves about those agonizing moments that occur in any game - despite the quality of said mod.

Mine? Playing as Eriador, the goal of reforming Arnor...my armies march against Isengard, while holding fast against the Orcs...wait, what's that in the distance? It is marching towards The Shire! The Shire! ...of all places.

A Dwarven army? Allies coming to support me...from this direction? My confusion grows. My curiosity encourages the next turn, alas..."Settlement under siege sire!" The Dwarves have betrayed me! I frantically search for answers, and troops to pull from my towns which are scarcely guarded - only then, armies of blue...the Elves! Have they come to help? No! They betray me as well!

That, was my agonizing moment - crushed by good and evil.

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Third Age Total War "agony" page!

Agonizing moments?

When every turn i crushed 4-5 fullstacks of Mordor and a couple of tturns later there were other 4-5 stacks waiting for me.

Man, i hated stackspam.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

Agonizing moments?
    mulitiple stack of trools knocking out your troops and settlments wile you watch hopelessly

when your general is forced to engage in a outnumbered battle and can't retreat, your general decided to fight to the death instead of fleeing

also when you lost your major settlement to a dark crusade, and after you retake it you find out the unique building was destoryed

When Gandalf goes mad after a massive battle in which Aragorn dies, and you read on the forums that gandalf respawns the first time he dies so you kill him and he never comes back. :'(

Seeing how your're enemies are growing and growing and how your're stupid allies are just sitting there and get raped.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by oheels View Post
    When Gandalf goes mad after a massive battle in which Aragorn dies, and you read on the forums that gandalf respawns the first time he dies so you kill him and he never comes back. :'(
    Fellowship campaign.

Defending a settlement against the odds. Realising that you might just actually win the battle. And then seeing there's an enemy unit in the town square you completly forgot about.

Malin's Avatar Civis

Crushing Dale as Rhun, only to be attacked by Dwarves on the next turn, who then started to spam full stacks from the mountains. I lost half my family tree on the next 3 turns...

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

///

Yesterday i quit my campaign at turn 168. i was on a huge support campaign for gondor which
    has lost 5 of the eastern countries. I've build up a huge army of high tier units with my best
    generals (Elrond, Elladan, Glorfindel and some other guy - all silver and gold experienced).
    So after about 50 turns of preparation and planning (military access, collecting of all units
    from all over my empire to restore and upgrade them at my own and only full developed citadel)
    i finally had four supreme full stacks at the norther border near Dunharrow already in enemy territory.

But than - badammm - "Faction destroyed". Gondor had about 10 or more territories left and i
    gave them several 10.000 of gold form time to time - gave them Cair Andros at turn 80 or
    something, which they still owned by than. But they just had one family member / general left,
    which died in a siege. That was a complete discouragement leading to me quitting this campaign.

///

Doing something really stupid in a campaign. Then thinking that was bad i will go back to my last save then you find that save was 3 or 4 hour ago.

As Eraidor... getting attacked by the dwarves (who attacked first) which breaks your alliance with the Helves right after you start the war with OoG, then getting attacked by the Helves, and then isengard, and fighting a 4 front war as Eriador... and then getting the first barracks event and realizing its only 30 turns into the game and your already screwed.

This thread is epic!
    My Arnor try- one army north, bunch of heroic wins, hold Angmar and the OoG are kinda squished.
    One army south, few heroic wins, Isengard is reeling and I'm inching towards Isengard itself. I do a 'wasup' kinda fow and Imladis is crawling with snaga rodents.
    My fault really- I shoulda' sent my hobbits to protect the elves.

Eriador campaign. The evil lord called for a invasion of Bree (ofcourse). Time goes by, no orcs, fighting OOG in the north and Isengard in the south. 2 turns away from starting the last building needed for Arnor. Suddenly a small invasion army (around 700 man), arrives at Bree. Gandalf was at Fornost to rage the population, he leaves with his 500 man army to relieve the 200 man at Bree, brining with him a grandson of Aragorn as a "trainee" general.

just outside bree my movement points is spend and i press end turn.
    Just to see 3 orc armies arrive (2 OOTMM and 1 OOG), surrounding me. They commence the attack, and my 500 men, unable to retreat, make a last stand on a hill. Gandalf dies saving the grandson's life (he got hit by like 200 arrows just as he passed the trainee.) The trainee dies as the last man, my entire army being annihilated (the orcs took something like 20 prisoners), and i only kill 700.

Oh well i thought, I'll just bring my southern army up, Isengard hasn't moved for a while.

Turn moves on. And, ofcourse, Isengard attacks my souther army, led by a Son of Aragorn (not one of the starting ones, a guy who was born to him), and the sons Trainee (Also named Aragorn).
    The fight commence, being the bloodiest I've fought in a while, i lost around 1400, Isengard lost roughly 2000. Aragorns son dies in the process, but the son manages to turn it around, but has less than 150 living troops afterwards.

My entire campaign nearly broke down, 1 turn and my heartland & southern borders were completely exposed. I managed to survive, and form Arnor, but It didn't last. My elven allies failed big time and lost Imladris to the OOTMM, who proceeded to pour into my lands, while the OOG and Isengard pushed me back too. Aragorn died defending Fornost, and his grandson (Aragorn III), died defending Annuminas.

Decided it was a fitting end to the Kingdom of Arnor and quit the campaign :p

Agonizing moment -

I attack and capture Barad Dur as Gondor only to see stacks of trolls and uruks pop up out of no where with full star generals....

Milligon's Avatar Foederatus

Seeing Aragorn getting barbecued by a mordor catapult fireball about 20 or so turns after I got him for Gondor.

The worst part was I played about 2 hours before that by having a couple other battles, and I forgot to save before the Aragorn battle

Quote Originally Posted by Milligon View Post
    Seeing Aragorn getting barbecued by a mordor catapult fireball
    Nearly the same happened to me. One of my best generals got killed by the FIRST catapult shot.
    I guess it was just bad luck.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by gloin99 View Post
    Nearly the same happened to me. One of my best generals got killed by the FIRST catapult shot.
    I guess it was just bad luck.

"Bad Luck" that happens suprisingly often

For me it's having a city ready to defend a siege against 4 stacks from Rhun only to have a new general (through marriage) pop up outside the city meaning that now I have to fight a field battle not a siege.

Of course I retreated first time but then he got caught and defeated and ran away back to the edge of the city. Got attacked again , no retreat and forced a field battle again. I lost

Why no option not to support another stack?

Um....chasing skirmishing elven archers through the woods at the end of a battle with 1 stack of exhausted orcs and 3 wargs (turn to speed x6 and hum the benny hill song) ?

Rogal Dorn's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by menawati View Post
    Um....chasing skirmishing elven archers through the woods at the end of a battle with 1 stack of exhausted orcs and 3 wargs (turn to speed x6 and hum the benny hill song) ?
    Of course. Benny Hill makes everything better!

Battlerager's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Drathmar View Post
    As Eraidor... getting attacked by the dwarves (who attacked first) which breaks your alliance with the Helves right after you start the war with OoG, then getting attacked by the Helves, and then isengard, and fighting a 4 front war as Eriador... and then getting the first barracks event and realizing its only 30 turns into the game and your already screwed.
    Interesting...same thing happened (see first post) to me as well. Damn traitors!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast