Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (COMPLETED 7/24: EPILOGUE)

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 9/26: Chapter 8)

Wow, that's impressive with Aragon. The lack of good spears (only spear militia) made it impossible for me once the Moors got Grenadine Lancers (which are somehow unavailable to me in Grenada...grrr).

I have no interest in Gracul, because I really want there to be some ebb and flow to the history of the game. I want war and peaceful times in between. And I want factions to at least honor their alliances when it makes sense. I get the feeling that everyone backstabs everyone in Gracul, even when it is a bad strategic decision.

We'll see how things go here. My goal long-term is to at least take all of Iberia (maybe more), but I want that to take hundreds of years. And if I lose, I lose.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
    Wow, that's impressive with Aragon. The lack of good spears (only spear militia) made it impossible for me once the Moors got Grenadine Lancers (which are somehow unavailable to me in Grenada...grrr).
    The only way I've found that was successful to fight Grenadine Lancers is to have cavalry of my own. Fight fire with fire so to speak.

Does Portugal get Jinetes? Unless they were removed from Portugal's roster for 6.3, I know the Portuguese have Jinetes in 6.2. Fast moving Javelin throwers that can cut into the armor that the Lancers have is what you need. Then use a few units of heavy cavalry to clean up the survivors. In most games I've played, I've found it necessary to build an all-cavalry strikeforce to deal with the occasional dangerous enemy stacks. Castile/Leon will probably give you as much trouble as the Moors. They have Jinetes, and at least in my game, they spammed heavy cavalry.

sbroadbent: Yes, Portugal does get jinettes. Aragon doesn't seem to, or at least I couldn't get them in my game anyway. Jinettes (and Grenadine Jinettes) seem to be one of, if not the only, unit that Portugal gets that Aragon doesn't. But they have made a big difference. In reality, taking Granada from the Moors may also have made a big difference, as I haven't really seen any Lancers from anyone yet (though I'm always nervous they are around the corner). Full update coming in a couple minutes.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 9/28: Chapter 9)

Chapter 9: The War of Spanish Succession

After Salvador’s close victory over trespassing Leonese troops began the War with León, Prince Fernao also managed a difficult victory over a small Leonese army the same year. King Alexandre immediately ordered the army re-expanded after the short-lived contraction of the years prior. Salvador’s son Gil Bandeira comes of age the following year. While Gil is the spitting image of his father, he abhors drink, no doubt due to his father’s overreliance on it.

The rest of the royal family has grown tremendously, as there are seven generals from the new generation, as well as several princesses and a few younger children not of age yet.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[This is not a fully updated family tree, as the full one takes a lot of editing, which I will reserve for when a new king takes over. But I thought it would be interesting to see how much things have changed.]

Once war began with León, Portugal’s former allies began moving troops into position to attack Oporto and Salamanca, as well as potentially Seville.

At war with both France and León, and with relations deteriorating with Aragon, King Alexandre feels compelled to finally accept the Moors’ offer of trading rights. For years, the King rejected repeated ceasefires until 1169, and he has rejected their repeated offers to trade for the past 8 years. Now, King Alexandre has little choice if he wants to revive the sluggish Portuguese economy.

Meanwhile, a Leonese army has moved down from Murcia to besiege Granada. Salvador and his remaining veterans rush to the beleaguered mountain fortress, attacking the same year. Alberto de Castelo sallies with his garrison. While the numbers favor Portugal, Leon’s troops are better trained and on the defense.

Salvador’s army is forced to climb a steep hill to get at the enemy, and they reach León’s army just as Alberto’s army is attacking their flank. Trapping the enemy between them, the Portuguese armies grind down the Leonese troops and win a hard-fought victory.

Salvador’s army is depleted, but with Granada momentarily free from attack, Alberto can afford to send many of his men with the Portuguese hero. As Salvador move north, his son Gil Bandeira travels from Cordoba to Lisbon to study mathematics and the skills needed to govern. Gil’s cousin, and the presumed heir, Guilherme, moves from Lisbon to Seville to join the fight against Portugal’s Christian neighbors.

That same year, Leon’s King Pacheco threatens the northeastern Portuguese city of Salamanca. Fernao’s son Filipe takes an army from Salamanca and attacks.

With four large catapults and two ballistae, Filipe takes advantage of his position on a small hill to rain down rocks and arrows upon the Leonese King and his army.

The siege engines do moderate damage, and Leon’s army begins to climb the hill to get at its tormentors. Cresting the hill, the Leonese smash into the Portuguese troops. Though Portugal’s spear militia initially hold, King Pacheco is a renowned warrior and well feared by all throughout Iberia. As the Portuguese militia begin to rout, Filipe urges his cavalry onward, charging the enemy King.

The Leonese King’s cavalry are veteran fighters, and are not easily beaten. They fight back against Filipe’s cavalry, slowly pushing the Portuguese general back. Meanwhile, the entire Portuguese army has routed.

Unwilling to flee, Filipe fights to the bitter end, cut down by the enemy King himself at the young age of 22.

When a messenger arrives to Seville to inform Fernao of the grim news, the Portuguese general becomes enraged. Furious at the death of his son, Fernao gathers all of Seville’s garrison, hires several bands of mercenaries, and storms out of the castle. “I will kill that dog Pacheco and have his body rent in two!”

As Fernao heads north, King Pacheco and his 300 soldiers easily cut through the remaining 270 soldiers from the late Filipe’s army.

Fernao and his army of nearly 1000 come upon an army of León that is heading north to link up with Pacheco’s veterans, who have begun the siege of Salamanca. Still blinded by rage, Fernao orders an immediate attack.

Outnumbering the Leonese army nearly 2 to 1, Fernao orders a straightforward assault, charging his infantry and flanking with his cavalry. The Leonese army is decimated, the remaining soldiers fleeing back to their own kingdom.

Later that year, Fernao’s army arrives and attacks the Leonese King. Alberto de Castelo’s son Diogo leads the garrison out to aid Fernao, but the Portuguese general orders them back. Pacheco’s army would easily destroy Diogo’s, and besides, Fernao wants the king for himself.

Fernao’s army vastly outnumbers the Leonese King’s. Fernao orders his army forward, his archers and javelinmen slowly defeating Pacheco’s jinettes. Fernao himself charges straight for the enemy king, trapping Pacheco between a unit of light men-at-arms and his own elite cavalry.

Seeing his army routed, Pacheco tries to extricate himself from the surrounding Portuguese army. The rest of his cavalry killed, King Pacheco begins to flee.

Fernao and his cavalry give chase, determined to kill the dastardly king. Fernao’s horsemen are fresher, and catch the king as he runs. One of Fernao’s men knocks the enemy king from his horse. Defeated, his army destroyed, Pacheco pleads with Fernao for mercy. The pious Salvador may have granted it. The cunning Alexandre may have granted it.

Fernao brought Pacheco back to Seville in a wagon.

The other half he left on the ground outside Salamanca.

One of Fernao’s two remaining sons is besieged by a separate Leonese army that same year. Hearing the news that Marcio is outnumbered and trapped in Oporto, Fernao cannot hope to reach the castle in time.

The inexperienced Marcio and his men wait anxiously behind the castle gate as the Leonese army approaches.

Marcio’s archers shower the incoming enemy with arrows, killing dozens. Nearly 200 Lusitanian javelinmen do the same with their javelins, killing dozens more. Still, the enemy comes.

Marcio’s light men-at-arms first hold off, and then destroy, Leonese troops that climb the walls with ladders. Lusitanian javelinmen do the same to the Leonese infantry that reach the wall with a siege tower.

Leonese troops break through the gate and race into the castle. Marcio’s men await them, determined to make a stand.

The men-at-arms come down from the walls to help in the fight, and Portuguese archers and javelinmen shower the enemy from above.

After hours of fighting, Marcio and his men stand victorious, having utterly destroyed Leon’s army.

It is a heroic victory in more ways than one. Marcio has proven himself an excellent commander by holding the castle against a larger force, suffering minimal casualties. He has kept the Portuguese capital out of Leonese hands. He has also freed his father and his uncle, Salvador, to concentrate on the eastern half of the kingdom.

In 1179, the aging Pope calls another Crusade against Frankfurt and the Holy Roman Empire. King Alexandre declines to send troops at first (and keeping a close eye on Salvador), deciding to wait to see Leon’s decision first. If Leon’s new King chooses not to send troops, then Alexandre won’t be able to afford to, either. But if Leon does send troops, Alexandre may be forced to do so as well in order to retain the Pope’s acquiescence for the war against León.

That year, Salvador’s army attacks a slightly smaller Leonese army skulking about near Cordoba.

Salvador’s mangonels rain down fire and ash upon the Leonese army, causing chaos and death.

Salvador and his mostly professional army are able to make short work of the enemy, sending the survivors fleeing back to Leon. Since returning from the first aborted Frankfurt Crusade, Salvador has always offered to ransom Christian prisoners, and León accepts. Oftentimes, Salvador will just outright release them, which always angers King Alexandre, who knows they will simply return to fight later.

Alexandre’s son and the presumptive heir, Guilherme de Portugal, is already an excellent general. Having learned from his father and expert soldiers in Seville, Guilherme crosses into Leonese territory, gaining distinction as the first Portuguese general to do so. He easily defeats a slightly smaller Leonese army in 1179.

The following year, a Portuguese cardinal is elected Pope, thus ending the Second Crusade against Frankfurt. King Alexandre signs a quick ceasefire with France (after Rute seduces and steals away the 24-year-old French royal family member Pepin Capet), and it becomes clear that Pope Ioannes XV favors Portugal over León. Still only 50, the Portuguese Pope may have a long time to rule the Church. It may provide the opportunity Portugal needs to take the fight to León in its own lands.

Later that year, Miguel de Castelo moves out from Granada with an army, leaving his father behind. His goal is to attack the eastern Leonese coastal city of Murcia. Marcio takes most of Oporto’s garrison and heads toward the enemy’s previous capital city, León, and Salvador takes up a position defending the eastern road to Cordoba.

Leonese and Aragonese armies are both defeated by the Moors in northern Africa, forced to flee homeward to the east. King Alexandre hopes the Moors are not inclined to follow, as a two-front war would be nearly impossible to manage.

The King receives a message from Alberto’s son Diogo that he would like to marry Alexandre’s daughter, Angelina (as would everyone else in Iberia). With little interest in securing alliances with any other Christian nations, the King consents. Angelina, currently in France, slowly makes her way back to Portugal.

That year, an Aragonese army crosses into Portuguese territory, unannounced and unwelcome. King Alexandre’s inclination is to send an army to attack them, war with Aragon be damned. He is about to do just that, when scouts report on the Aragonese army; there are more than 200 Crusading nobles who had just joined to Crusade against Frankfurt. With the Crusade ended, the Aragonese general has decided upon a new target for his elite fighters: Cordoba.

None of the Portuguese armies have the kind of professional troops or knights necessary to defeat Aragon’s Crusaders. But Aragon’s transgressions cannot be allowed to stand. As dawn breaks on a warm summer day in 1181, King Alexandre sends word to Salvador to make war upon the Crusading Aragonese army. Thus begins the three-way War of Spanish Succession.

Karnage's Avatar Centenarius

You pulled off marvelously, way to go my friend
    My work in progress AAR, come and have look.

L'État c'est moi, The Monarchy of France
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=355826

Critic Quills review about my AAR.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365219

Well done. I'm looking forward to the battle with Aragon.
    Watch out for feudal knights, those can really be a pain it the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy winter View Post
    Well done. I'm looking forward to the battle with Aragon.
    Watch out for feudal knights, those can really be a pain it the ass.
    Unless they serve you But I agree, if you see Feudal Knights, try to be in a position where they cannot charge you effectively, top of a hill would be best. If there is no such hills, then spears is your best bet.

I'm not sure how things will go with Aragon. On the one hand, another enemy (and lack of a trading partner) could be devastating. On the other, they are all the way on the opposite side of Leon. Still, I think they share military access, so that may not be much of a deterrent. I really need England or France or (both) to help out against Aragon.

On an unrelated note, no faction has been destroyed yet, not even the Crusader States. That's pretty surprising to me, as they were the first faction gone in my Aragon and France campaigns in 6.3. Plus, most people say the CS are usually gone by 50 years or so. I'm 80+ years in, and they are still holding on.

I like to think that my success against the Moors, which caused the Fatimids to attack their eastern regions, somehow took pressure off the Crusader States. In reality, that's probably just a coincidence. I never turn off Fog of War, so I have no idea exactly what's happening over there. Maybe I'll turn it off to show you all what's going on.

The next update will probably be next week, as I'll be out of town for the next few days. Hope you enjoy it so far.

I'm not sure how things will go with Aragon. On the one hand, another enemy (and lack of a trading partner) could be devastating. On the other, they are all the way on the opposite side of Leon. Still, I think they share military access, so that may not be much of a deterrent. I really need England or France or (both) to help out against Aragon.

On an unrelated note, no faction has been destroyed yet, not even the Crusader States. That's pretty surprising to me, as they were the first faction gone in my Aragon and France campaigns in 6.3. Plus, most people say the CS are usually gone by 50 years or so. I'm 80+ years in, and they are still holding on.

I like to think that my success against the Moors, which caused the Fatimids to attack their eastern regions, somehow took pressure off the Crusader States. In reality, that's probably just a coincidence. I never turn off Fog of War, so I have no idea exactly what's happening over there. Maybe I'll turn it off to show you all what's going on.

The next update will probably be next week, as I'll be out of town for the next few days. Hope you enjoy it so far.
    In my campaign, Crusader states still live to ym surprise as well, and even now, I dont understand why and I'm passed turn 128 I think.

You should a diplomat and seek an alliance with France,Genoa and Sicily. That would help you and keep Aragon in check "If" they declare war.

The economy is a game killer if you dont manage it. As I mentioned, send a diplomat out and seek trade rights with distant nations. Build roads, markets and ports if you can. Although I know you know this and your economy is strained due to multiple wars.

Whew. Long weekend away at a conference. I've been able to play a bit (playing in airports without a mouse is not recommended, by the way), and there is a new king. I'll be able to do an update in a few days complete with full family tree, new rankings, Alexandre's legacy, and what has happened recently. Not surprisingly, I'm having some trouble getting new children, as I have too many generals and not enough cities. Also probably not surprisingly, I'm having major issues with the Pope.

I also have to say that I really love 1 turn per year. I do miss the changing seasons, but I actually like the fact that generals' lives go by fairly quickly. I'm 100 turns in and the fourth generation of family members is now middle-aged (or older). I've taken pics of all family members, and I will post them as well as give a short bio of each. It's sometimes hard for me to keep track of personalities and attitudes, but I've tried to role-play them differently from one another. Look for an update in the next few days.

Chapter 10: On All Sides

As war with León begins in earnest, and Portuguese armies fan out to attack the neighboring kingdom, Aragon begins to try their luck with Portugal as well. The Kingdom of Aragon sends thousands of troops through Portuguese territory, ostensibly to attack the Moors in northern Africa. In reality, it is a thinly disguised ploy to aid their close allies, the Leonese.

In 1181, Salvador Bandeira’s army attacks the Aragonese army and its 200 crusading nobles.

Fighting uphill against superior troops, the Portuguese army has a difficult task. Salvador’s veteran jinettes and archers are able to hold off several dozen Aragonese horsemen, while the Portuguese infantry entraps and defeats the crusaders.

In the end, the Aragonese army is routed and sent back to its ally’s territory in the east.

The next year, Fernao’s oldest son and the hero of Oporto, Marcio, assaults the Leonese ctiy at León. Taken by the Moors decades ago, the old Leonese capital was reconquered by the Kingdom of León in recent years when the Moors were hard pressed by Portugal. Though Marcio’s army is not a large one, the enemy garrison is even smaller. However, the enemy king, Marchena, is personally commanding the Leonese forces.

The Portuguese forces scale the walls, and light men-at-arms fight for control.

The Portuguese forces take control of the walls, pushing the defenders back to the city square. The enemy king’s cavalry are inundated with javelins and arrows, as they attempt to hold the city.

Marcio sends his mailed knights forward at King Marchena, and the Leonese leader is soon surrounded. Battered and bloodied, Marchena fights valiantly.

King Marchena eventually falls, and the Portuguese army soon stands alone in the city, victorious.

Marcio’s nickname, “the Mean,” is well earned for his dealings with women and his miserly nature. But he is not a cruel man toward his citizens, and he is smart enough to avoid drawing the ire of the Pope. Therefore, he merely occupies the city rather than sacking it, thus setting a precedent for dealing with defeated Christian lands that will last for decades.

Princess Angelina, betrothed to Diogo de Castelo, and Rute’s new French husband Pepin Capet, both board ships off the coast of France and sail for Oporto.

Later that year, Diogo’s brother Miguel is attacked by Leonese troops between Granada and Murcia.

With 60 heavy cavalry and more than 100 jinettes, Miguel’s army is able to devastate the Leonese troops, first peppering them with javelins, then charging home and routing them.

In 1183, Salvador’s army attacks a large army of Moors from Africa, led by Sahr al-Abdari, outside Cordoba. Salvador’s army has only a small number of cavalry and is made up of mostly archers and spear militia, but Salvador is Portugal’s greatest hero.

Salvador’s army presses forward, meeting Sahr’s army in a shallow valley between two hills. The Portuguese mangonels and archers let fly, attempting to cut down the Moors before they can charge.

Sahr follows the usual Moorish tactic of harassing the Portuguese archers with his own cavalry. Salvador’s cavalry and a few dozen spear militia attack Sahr’s cavalry off to the side of the main battle. Both the Portuguese and Moorish generals fight fiercely.

In the end, Sahr is cut down, stabbed through the side. Salvador climbs off his horse and approaches the dying Moorish general. Truly committed to the word of his God, Salvador tends to the enemy general and personally eases his last few moments on earth. Sahr looks up at Salvador with genuine surprise, so used to unmerciful Christian enemies is he. Salvador has water brought to Sahr, who sips his last, and dies. Salvador’s army is cut in half, but wins a tough victory. The aging Portuguese hero takes no pleasure in seeing so much death on each side.

After the battle, Salvador releases all the enemy prisoners, as is his wont.

Miguel, low on troops after being attacked, is unable to besiege Murcia and must return to Granada for troops. In the meantime, Aragon besieges the port at Granada, and more Moorish armies cross the straits of Gibraltar into Portugal.

Salvador replenishes his army with recruits from Seville and Cordoba, and destroys a huge invading army of Moors. The rebuilt Portuguese navy destroys the blockading Aragonese ships at Granada the same year.

Angelina and Pepin land at Oporto, where the Princess finally marries Diogo in 1186.

The next year, a huge flood hits Lisbon, severely damaging the Port and killing hundreds of Portuguese citizens.

The cardinals and priests blame the flood on all the hostilities against Portugal’s Christian neighbors, León, and Aragon. King Alexandre pays them no mind, determined to press the attack.

That same year, Salvador’s army attacks a Leonese one northeast of Cordoba. With a slight advantage in numbers, Salvador has a chance to clear a path to Toledo in the east.

As Salvador’s archers again pepper the enemy with arrows, Leonese cavalry charge into Portugal’s lines of infantry, causing massive damage amongst the light men-at-arms.

Needing to protect the rear of his lines, Salvador and his cavalry are forced to charge the Leonese feudal knights that have slipped behind to the flanks. The Portuguese cavalry charge swiftly, but are soon bogged down.

The Portuguese lines begin to buckle, and there is simply nothing Salvador can do to hold back the Leonese heavy cavalry. The Portuguese soldiers begin to rout, but still Salvador and his cavalry charge again and again.

As the last Portuguese archer flees the battle, he looks back, and sees his beloved general fall under a crush of spears.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/4: Chapter 10)

Great AAR, I've subscribed, and have some +rep.
    Just a minor request, though, zoomed in shots of the map would be pretty grand.

Thanks. I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's a lot of work, but it makes it so much easier to roleplay the game. As for zoomed-in map shots, do you mean of the world map in the lower left hand corner, with Fog of War off? Or do you mean of my whole territory? Or other areas around the world (Middle East, France, etc.)? Or all three? They would all be easy to do, and I'll be happy to.

Also, we just had our first two factions destroyed, which I'll post in the next chapter.

Any guesses as to which two?

Again great update!

It looks like the heavy cavalry from Toledo will be hard to beat, as I toughed.

I guess it will be the crusader states and HRE.
    Last edited by Holy winter; October 05, 2010 at 10:57 AM.

I'd also go for Crusader States, they die early 95% of the time. As for the second one, I'd alos like to say HRE since they do have many enemies. I have another guess but I'll stick with HRE.

I'm hoping to get another update in tonight, which will get us all caught up and will include new family tree and rankings. As for eliminated factions, you've both guessed one right, but the other is only a small surprise in my opinion. Should get your answer later tonight, either way.

Chapter 11: End of an Era

Absolute darkness. Or at least, nearly absolute. Salvador’s eyes open, but he cannot see. Not at first. Eventually, his eyes adjust and he realizes he is in a grand circular tent, closed on all sides. After shaking his head clear, he notices a man sitting near him. “Ah…Lord Salvador Bandeira. Hero of Portugal. I see you are awake.” “Is this Heaven?” The man chuckles, shaking his head. “Sadly, no. Perhaps Hell, but certainly not Heaven. You are near Cordoba. You are my prisoner, at least while we wait to see how much your king values your life.”

In the meantime, King Alexandre receives a message from the man, Gregorio de León. The message demands ransom for Salvador’s life and those of the hundred or so surviving Portuguese troops from the recent battle.

The Leonese demand more than 2000 florins, more than 1100 for Salvador alone. The entire royal treasury is barely 3700, and Salvador is 71 years old. Still, the King owes his Kingdom and his very life to Salvador’s intrepid battles across Portugal. Salvador has fought for Alexandre and his father Afonso for more than 50 years, destroying numerous Moorish armies, personally conquering Cordoba, fighting the first battle in the Leonese War and the first battle in the War of Spanish Succession, and going on a short-lived Crusade. He is known as a hero to Portugal, and a merciful enemy to the Moors.

In the end, it is an easy decision. King Alexandre gladly pays the ransom, and Salvador returns to Cordoba, where he retires from military duty, having earned a respite in his old age.

The following year, the King’s youngest daughter, Luzia, arranges an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire, thus securing Portugal’s relationship with two major powers in central Europe (England being the other).

Miguel de Castelo takes an army east to protect the castle of Granada, where his father is governor. Miguel defeats several smaller Leonese armies on the way, and moves his entire army into the mountainside fortress.

Miguel’s older brother Diogo is quickly becoming an excellent tactician, leading his army to victory after victory over the Leonese. In 1188, Diogo’s army is attacked by three Leonese armies outside Toledo, the Leonese castle Diogo intends to capture.

Diogo and his men wait on a small hill, where two mangonels rain down barrels of fire upon the enemy. With more than 150 archers, and nearly 100 jinettes, plus hundreds more javelinmen, Diogo’s army is able to pour projectiles and arrows into the enemy as they slowly climb the hill.

The Portuguese defeat wave after wave, as the Leonese reinforcements continue to come. In the end, Diogo and his army achieve a heroic victory, clearing the way to take Toledo.

Soon after, Aragon lands more than 800 men directly on the shores of Granada, with another 1000 on ships ready to land.

The Portuguese navy under Admiral Bento defeats the second fleet, chasing them far back into the Mediterranean, but the first army remains on shore.

In 1190, Salvador’s 41-year-old daughter Gabriela surprises the entire kingdom when she decides to marry Agostinho Vasconcelos, a minor Portuguese nobleman.

The Pope, despite being Portuguese, does not look kindly on the continued aggression against León, and demands an immediate cease to all hostilities against them. Always one to mince words, King Alexandre decides that this order involves only León and not Aragon. Thus, he orders Diogo to lift the siege of Toledo, but sends his brother Fernao to attack the Aragonese army at Granada.

Miguel sallies with his army, as well, and the Aragonese are badly outnumbered.

Fernao orders his catapults to shoot flaming balls of pitch into the enemy.

Fernao’s hundreds of knights and jinettes make short work of the Aragonese cavalry, leaving the enemy infantry and archers clear to be destroyed. Fernao’s and Miguel’s armies converge, crushing the enemy between them.

Despite having to fight two wars, León and Aragon continue to send troops to north Africa to fight the Moors, sometimes by ship, sometimes through Portuguese lands.

Luzia marries the English prince, Duke James FitzWilliam in 1191, further cementing the alliance with England. Always a bit of a snob, Luzia is delighted to be able to live in luxury in an English castle, away from the heat and dust of Portugal.

The next year, the Kingdom of Denmark is destroyed, as they lose their final city, pressed out by the rising Kingdom of Norway.

Several weddings take place, as Salvador’s remaining daughter, Marta, marries the Portuguese nobleman Gaspar Moniz. Gaspar is somewhat religious, and somewhat loyal, but is a rather bland man with little ambition. Marta is happy enough to live a relatively quiet life in Portugal with her new husband. Fernao’s oldest son, Marcio, marries Lucia Carvalho shortly after.

The Crusader States are soon also destroyed, finally expunged by the Fatimids in the Holy Lands. For the first time in almost 100 years, there is no formal Christian presence anywhere in Outremer.

In 1193, the King’s younger brother Fernao dies at the age of 67. Always an active leader of men, Fernao was in the midst of collecting an army at Granada to eventually attack the Leonese city of Murcia.

[In reality, I had to kill off Fernao. I fastforwarded a few turns and found that the King was likely to die relatively soon, and that Fernao, not the King’s son, Guilherme, would become King. While slightly annoying since it breaks salic law, I could live with that for a few years if need be, so long as Guilherme became the heir. Well, he never did. It was always Fernao’s son, Marcio who became heir. Rather than try to roleplay some kind of civil war, it was easier to simply help Fernao along toward the afterlife.]

King Alexandre’s son Prince Guilherme becomes the official heir to the Portuguese throne. In honor of Fernao’s passing, the King of Aragon offers Alexandre a ceasefire. Happy to only have one Christian enemy at a time (in addition to the Moors), the Portuguese King accepts, ending the First War of Spanish Succession. Meanwhile, Portugal is still fighting the War with León and the Second Moorish War.

The Pope dies soon thereafter, encouraging León to besiege the castle at Granada with only 400 or so troops. Though his father has more than 500 troops in the castle, Miguel de Castelo takes an army of 700 to attack the Leonese invaders. Miguel and Alberto attain an easy victory, once again freeing the mountain fortress.

The Republic of Genoa declares war on the Holy Roman Empire in 1197, forcing King Alexandre to choose sides among his allies. Deciding that the Holy Roman Empire is a fading power, the King chooses to stick with the Genoese aggressors.

Meanwhile, Prince Guilherme heads into Africa in an attempt to finally cow the Moors. The dashing Prince and nearly 1000 men attack a small army of Moors outside the city of Fes, drawing the garrison into the fight.

As always, the Moors are able to get their light cavalry behind the Portuguese lines to harass archers and the men at the trebuchets. Guilherme and his cavalry charge directly into the Moorish general Taj Amir Muharib, while the infantry lines are engaged.

Eventually, one of Guilherme’s men strikes Taj a heavy blow to the head, killing him before he hits the ground. Emboldened, Portugal’s infantry press onward, eventually routing the Moorish army. Though victorious, Guilherme’s army is decimated, and he is forced to retreat to Portugal with barely 350 men.

León besieges the recently captured city of León, their old capital, hoping to retake it from the Portuguese. Instead, Diogo, quickly becoming a master tactician, easily lifts the siege, with Marcio’s garrison reinforcements providing support.

Miguel and 800 of his men move toward Murcia in an attempt to besiege the Leonese city, but are soon attacked by a reinforcing army. Prince Celestino, the Leonese heir, leads the garrison out of the city.

Miguel and his infantry stand fast as Leonese heavy cavalry crash into their left flank. Leonese feudal knights lead the charge.

Miguel and his own cavalry are shocked when the feudal knights break through, heading straight for them. The Portuguese general’s cavalry tries to stand and fight, but are soon devastated and badly outnumbered. Miguel and his 7 remaining bodyguards are forced to run from the enemy knights, and, choosing the lesser of two evils, charge directly into a unit of enemy men-at-arms.

The Portuguese infantry begin to rout, and the enemy feudal knights soon overrun the catapults. Miguel’s cavalry charge headlong into Prince Celestino’s, and fight them to a draw. Still, both general’s quickly lose men until only the Prince and Miguel remain. Almost the entire Portuguese army has routed or been killed, as has most of the Leonese army. Both men terribly bloodied and wounded, a unit of Portuguese archers nearby charge in to save their general (not wanting to accidentally hit Miguel with an arrow), and Prince Celestino flees.

Miguel’s army takes control of Murcia, and, following Marcio’s precedent, chooses not to sack the city. Still, the huge increase in trade with other Portuguese cities fills the royal coffers, finally allowing for stalled building projects to take place across the Kingdom. Instead of scraping by with only 3000 or so florins, the coffers bulge to more than 20,000.

Not surprisingly, the new Pope is furious and not only orders an end to hostilities with León, but also orders the King to break his alliance with the recently excommunicated English. For once, King Alexandre refuses to listen to the Pope, and holds strong with England.

In 1199, a large Aragonese army captures the Moorish city of Fes, which had been greatly weakened by Guilherme’s foray into Africa. With no more adjacent territory, perhaps the Second Moorish War will soon end, though it may bring more war with Aragon.

At the age of 83, the Portuguese King is ailing. His son Guilherme, recently back from Africa, orders the capital officially moved from Oporto to Seville, where the King rests. The King lives just long enough to see his son, Bartolomeu marry Isabel and to see Miguel de Castelo marry Carla. In the auspicious year of 1200, King Alexandre dies peacefully. Fittingly, Salvador, the Hero of Portugal, dies exactly one year later.

Concrete's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks. I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's a lot of work, but it makes it so much easier to roleplay the game. As for zoomed-in map shots, do you mean of the world map in the lower left hand corner, with Fog of War off? Or do you mean of my whole territory? Or other areas around the world (Middle East, France, etc.)? Or all three? They would all be easy to do, and I'll be happy to.
    I do mean the world map in the lower left hand corner, specificially Iberia.
    As for toggling fow, that'd be nice too, but it doesn't really matter.
    Actually, it might be better to be ignorant about the rest of the world, maybe you could roleplay achiving a certain something and then toggle fow off for a turn, like, each explorers guild level or something.
    Whatever you decide, is fine, I'm still enjoying it.
    So keep up the good work.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/5: Chapter 11)

Great update and lots of good progress. I'm a bit surprised at the fall of Denmark but not so surprised for the crusader state. Keep up the good work.

Default Re: [SS 6.3 AAR] The Rise of Portugal (Updated 10/5: Chapter 11)

I will put rankings, family tree, Alexandre's legacy, pics of all generals, and short bios in a new chapter, hopefully later tonight. I'll also get some map pics. I was originally going to do all that in chapter 11, but then I realized it was way too long.

I always go 1 year beyond the King's death in order to get accurate faction rankings, and it just so happened that one more year resulted in Salvador's death as well. Definitely the end of an era.

The problem now is going to be getting children.