Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to learn more about basic Physics, HOW??

Biarchus

Default I want to learn more about basic Physics, HOW??

Lets put it this way, I have some very high career goals, to accomplish them, I need to go back and relearn basic physics again. The first time around, i didn't do so well (low C average) and I want to be able to understand the concepts better, Can anybody here point me in the right direction?

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

What is basic physics?
    Is that Newton's laws and such?

Physics as in, V= D over T, correct? You know what that stands for, eh? lol

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

The one thing i always remember is "Damn Silly Triangle" (basically V=D over T) Distance = Speed over Time, its just when you put iot like that it stays with you, and has stayed with me for over 10 years.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by Kagetora
    Lets put it this way, I have some very high career goals, to accomplish them, I need to go back and relearn basic physics again. The first time around, i didn't do so well (low C average) and I want to be able to understand the concepts better, Can anybody here point me in the right direction?

One word for you.

READ.

And I'm not trying to be a smart-arse. :original:
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Get a textbook, that is best you can do unless if you want to head back to school.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Alameda is right if u really want to learn basic physics, then go any shop where they sell school books and but one,
    and start reading it,or if u dont want to read then there are plenty of educational CD that tell u about physics.
    also remember there is no shame in learning something new so dont worry if people laugh at u for studying school books, just stick to it and learn as much as u can.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Biarchus

OK, so find textbooks. Are thee anyones out there that are better than opthers at explaining the concepts. One of my big problems with physics in the forst place was that i couldn't underestand what they were saying in the books so I wouldn't try hard at the class.

What about websites? Do any of you have any good recommendations

MY REASON: I am trying to find ways to become more 'disposed' or better set up for becoming an Army aviator as a second lieutenant. Right now I am in process of being accepted into an ECP (early commissioning program) for the Army. By July 2007, I'll be a second lieutenant in the Army National Guard, than I'll finish my last two years in college, than at the end of it, I will be competeing with other officers for the Active Duty Aviation Slots that are available. If I get the slot, I'm off to Ft. Rucker Alabama.

However, Army Aviation is the most sought after spot in the Army for officers. To get it I need to have the following
    1. Excellant Grades
    2. Great LDAC (leadership detail and assessment) score
    3. and a great reccomendation from my professor of military science

I am on the road, I am just want to be prepared though

ok but could u tell me what basics u need to relearn?
    are they 10th grade basic? or college level ones? a little more specifics would be nice.

Edit: also if u ask my openinon from experiance dont learn from websites,ull learn much more with a book in front of your hands.
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Physics is only partly learned by reading. The other part, at least for physics above junior high-level, has to be learned through laborations and solving problems.
    Där man däckar får man ligga!

Quote Originally Posted by kungapa
    Physics is only partly learned by reading. The other part, at least for physics above junior high-level, has to be learned through laborations and solving problems.
    Well, sure. But, I'm sure we can both agree the 'buying the book and reading' it part is a very good 1st step.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Find a good physics textbook and most of all FIND A TUTOR. Someone who is well versed in Physics and can tutor well is invaluable to you.

I would start by looking at vectors, friction, force, and gravity. The basic things. Formulas such as v = u + at along with all the other SUVAT formulas or F = MA are a great starting place and easy to learn. From there you can branch out to many things in Physics.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Biarchus

My old physics teacher has advised me to read and AUDIT a college physics class, not actually get graded for it but observe and do the work. I think it sounds really good, but has anybody else ever heard of this?

u still havnt mentioned what basic physics u want to relearn??? do u want to relearn basic university physics or basic high school physic?

Biarchus

Well, let's see here, I want to learn more about the concepts, motion, intertia, friction, force. Not the eqations but the whats is actually going on. Less focus on doing Math and more focus on understanding how it all works. I guess High School conceptual physics or if it is also at college level, but a focus on the concepts of it all.

I have a better idea. Just keep asking question here and I'll run off and retrieve your answers. :laughing:

I'm enjoying this. No, I don't know all the equations off hand myself (well, not all of them anyway) but I love this subject and always have. As an educator myself (in reality) I know it's not the "knowing the forumlas or the equations" that counts. Its understanding the general principles involved. Just like History, where the dates of particular battles and such take a back seat to understanding the general atmosphere of our world in the past and understanding how human beings were thinking in their own time.

So keep it coming. I'm enjoying the refresher course!!!

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Web research is a poor substitute for books. Go get Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick. It's a common introductory university physics textbook.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Get a book was my 1st suggestion there Wong. That last post was sarcasim. I can get you a book about sarcasim if you would like. :wink:

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Alameda
    Get a book was my 1st suggestion there Wong. That last post was sarcasim. I can get you a book about sarcasim if you would like. :wink:
    Sorry, I wasn't answering you specifically. It was more of an answer to the thread in general, since no one had suggested a specific book.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

No Wong, I apologize. I took it as a reply to my post right above it, so please forgive me jumping on you.

That was my fault.

And that book, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, is a great recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast