Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BI: Make All Factions Playable mod

Default BI: Make All Factions Playable mod

This mod allows you to play as all of the factions within BI. This includes emergent factions where, instead of changing the game so that they start with a territory, the game switches to auto-pilot until the faction emerges when you take over - so you can control the faction just as it appears in the vanilla game.

You can download the mod for 1.4 here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=774

And for 1.6 here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=832

For more info, screenshots and support please see this thread:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57734

Make all factions playable in BI
    incorporating professorspatula's Unlocked Factions maps
    & Rebel Commander

What does it do?
    This mod allows you to play as all of the factions within BI as they appear or emerge within the vanilla game.

What version is this for?
    It is for the vanilla Barbarian Invasion.

How big is it?
    Approx. 4 meg

How does it work?
    For all factions which are present at the start of the game just select them as usual from the campaign menu.

The emergent factions are marked as 'Not Playable at Start' on the Faction Selection Screen. To play as one of these factions, you must select one of the other factions that begins the game (as specified in the emergent faction's campaign description):

At the beginning of the game, the advisor will appear and ask if you wish to swap control to the emergent faction. If so, click on the 'Show Me How' button and the game will switch to auto-pilot until the faction emerges. If not, press the dismiss button. For example:

Mod Compatibility
    More advanced users may wish to make this mod compatible with their own personal mods. This mod should be compatible with most lightly modded games (eg, ones with modded skins, unit stats, unit formations, additional units etc.). It does however mod the descr_strat file which any map mod will also alter.

To make this compatible with a map mod, install it as normal but do _not_ replace the descr_strat file. Instead go into your original descr_strat file and move the emergent factions from unplayable to playable at the top of the file. This was the only change made in this file.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Richard, i said it over at the Org but i will say it again because this mod is worth it

I love it I love playing as ERE Rebels, except if you go into + Happyness you revert back to the Eastern Empire
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Epistolary Richard
    This mod allows you to play as all of the factions within BI. This includes emergent factions where, instead of changing the game so that they start with a territory, the game switches to auto-pilot until the faction emerges when you take over - so you can control the faction just as it appears in the vanilla game.

You can download the mod here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=774

For more info, screenshots and support please see this thread:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57734
    Beautiful, I was wondering if you could do an auto-pilot. Excellent, good work.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Quote Originally Posted by GrimSta
    I love playing as ERE Rebels
    ERE Rebs are a tough cookie as the Easterns are that much better at holding onto their provinces. You'll often start with a quarter stack of troops, a settlement damaged in the rebellion and the ejected ERE garrison on your doorstop - but good luck to you! If you have success write up a guide, because I'll certainly not be the only one needing help.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, great mod! Downloaded!

A question, about this mod. Will it work with the all factions mod? I think it sould because it is just making the faciotns playable.

Remus

v0.2 has been uploaded, fixing a bug with the Slavs

Thanks go to RedShooter for reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus
    A question, about this mod. Will it work with the all factions mod? I think it sould because it is just making the faciotns playable.
    Hi Remus, what aspects of this other mod do you want to combine? Give me an idea and I can tell you if it's possible.

I somehow got this cool mod to work with the Pax X mod and Attila's skins.....I think only the western and eastern roman rebels can be played though. The Romano Brit's are already situated at the start.

Actually did not realise I could play as ALL no playable factions until I downloaded it. So I don't need that mod any more. But there ae a few other mods I want to download. On is that larger map and the other is the roman skin mod. Also is it possible to get the skins of the Romano Brittish in the Pax Britannia mod and put them onto the data file I have your mod on? It would really be nice because the skins in the vanilla BI are to bright for my liking.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

This is great ER, I think it should make front page... Maybe you should get a mod to do it?

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

Actually did not realise I could play as ALL no playable factions until I downloaded it. So I don't need that mod any more.
    You can still mod if you prefer to start campaign with faction properly set-up (settlements,family tree etc) as an alternative way of getting all faction playable

On how that can be done see thread here :

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=57678

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

well done with this mod. its so simple yet such a good idea - i agree with the dacian. its a much more realistic way of playing emerging factions with relation to the original BI - and i love watching BI play itself. i went to play as east roman rebels last night, it was 420 before they emerged. it was like watching tv till then.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

How do I install the whole thing? I don't want to screw up the game and I don't mod very much (obviously).

Help appreciated! It sounds great!

Oh and by the way what if the criteria for the faction isn't met? I've never even seen the slavs - what if they don't show up?
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Nvm on first question - I have the answer lol in the instructions. But the second still need an answer. Thanks
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Slavs appear in 410AD - it's defined in descr_events.

It can happen that criteria for a faction aren't met - such as the Ostrogoths. If you're a dead keen Ostrogoth player I would suggest you play Rebel Commander instead. There you actually play as the Goths until the Ostrogoths emerge - so its easy to trigger their emergence yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by antea
    i went to play as east roman rebels last night, it was 420 before they emerged. it was like watching tv till then.
    Yes, the ERE is surprisingly good at holding its settlements in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss
    You can still mod if you prefer to start campaign with faction properly set-up (settlements,family tree etc) as an alternative way of getting all faction playable
    Certainly, and I imagine a lot of modders will want to do that to use the full 20 factions at the start of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moromete
    This is great ER, I think it should make front page...
    Hopefully, we'll have a final version up by this weekend. professorspatula has been kind enough to offer to help with the graphical side - once the pretty maps are in place it'll pretty much be the definitive version.

Quote Originally Posted by RemusII
    But there ae a few other mods I want to download. On is that larger map and the other is the roman skin mod. Also is it possible to get the skins of the Romano Brittish in the Pax Britannia mod and put them onto the data file I have your mod on? It would really be nice because the skins in the vanilla BI are to bright for my liking.
    Yeah, I hate the RB legionaries especially. This is a full list of the vanilla text files it mods:
    descr_strat
    export_descr_advice
    export_advice
    campaign_descriptions

that's it...

Now, most people don't mod their eda or ea files (at present at least) so you can pretty much install the All Factions versions whenever.

campaign_descriptions - obviously you need entries in there to make the other factions playable but it doesn't really matter what. The All Factions versions has instructions in there though to make your life easier, so it's probably best to use the All Factions version and just add in any other detail.

descr_strat - this of course is the big one for any map mods. The _only_ change I made to this file was to move all the factions (except slave) from being unplayable to being playable. That's it. So long as you do it with your own map descr_strat, you can use your own and not worry about the All Factions descr_strat.

Hope that helps.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

yeah, its a impressively versatile mod as far as running it with a pre-modified version of BI.

i have found a few interesting things though, when playing as eastern or western rebels, and i would imagine probably ostragoths too i dont seem to be able to see enemy stacks range of movement by clicking on them. possibly caused by the piggyback nature of the factions beginnings?

its actually quite a scary thing.. especially when you start out as a rebel faction, with an army or several thats bigger than yours sitting right by your first city, and you cant see where they can go...

also, i would be curious to see what happened when your faction dies if you are a rebel faction - as they come and go through out the game when playing unmodified BI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

I think most likely the game you consider you defeated when you first lost all your characters and then kick you out. As for the enemy movement - I've never noticed that before, however hopefully if once you save and reload that might sort it out.

Life is a little hard for the Roman Rebels with just 1k in the bank and an inevitably damaged city that needs to be repaired.

If you lead a rebellion its the end when the factions loses settlements, characters.

Hans Kloss's Avatar J-23

Quote Originally Posted by big bad badger
    If you lead a rebellion its the end when the factions loses settlements, characters.
    This is why if your don't use Richard's mod and wannna play rebels you need to give them at least one settlement and named character

Thanks to professorspatula, the two of us can now proudly present the Complete version 1 of the 'Make All Factions Playable in BI'.

Inside you'll now find professorspatula's excellent faction selection and victory condition maps and as an added bonus leader_pics for each and every faction. Follow the download link in below.

Nota Bene! With the new maps, we say goodbye to the old big X maps for the emergent factions to remind you not to start the game as them. Be extra careful not to select them from now on.

Do remember to check out professorspatula's mods for BI & RTW

Make all factions playable in BI
    incorporating professorspatula's Unlocked Factions maps
    & Rebel Commander

Download

Update 13/12/05 - Version 1 Complete now uploaded including professorspatula's excellent maps and new leader pic's

What does it do?
    This mod allows you to play as all of the factions within BI as they appear or emerge within the vanilla game.

What version is this for?
    It is for the vanilla Barbarian Invasion.

How big is it?
    Approx. 3.9 meg

How does it work?
    For all factions which are present at the start of the game just select them as usual from the campaign menu.

The emergent factions are marked as 'Not Playable at Start' on the Faction Selection Screen. To play as one of these factions, you must select one of the other factions that begins the game (as specified in the emergent faction's campaign description):

At the beginning of the game, the advisor will appear and ask if you wish to swap control to the emergent faction. If so, click on the 'Show Me How' button and the game will switch to auto-pilot until the faction emerges. If not, press the dismiss button. For example:

Version 1 Download

Mod Compatibility
    More advanced users may wish to make this mod compatible with their own personal mods. This mod should be compatible with most lightly modded games (eg, ones with modded skins, unit stats, unit formations, additional units etc.). It does however mod the descr_strat file which any map mod will also alter.

To make this compatible with a map mod, install it as normal but do _not_ replace the descr_strat file. Instead go into your original descr_strat file and move the emergent factions from unplayable to playable at the top of the file. This was the only change made in this file.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast