Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [RS 2.0] Fewer stacks, slightly shorter battles - BETA

Default [RS 2.0] Fewer stacks, slightly shorter battles - BETA

He's another variation to try.

Unit costs increased by around 15%
    Unit lethality increased by 15%
    Small change to morale - generally one point less

Unzip the files into your RS2 installation. This will overwrite the export_descr_units.txt files in the following places:

/data
    /data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF/Single_Player
    /Play_Parthia/data
    /Play_Sarmatia/data
    /Play_Scythia/data

so I advise you to make a backup copy of the export_descr_units files in these locations.

Again, comments on how these changes feel would be helpful.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Default Re: [RS2] Fewer stacks, slightly shorter battles - BETA

So this variation has a higher cost but with a lower lethality than than the last one?

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

lol so many different options now, I'll try this one instead and see how it goes, as I wouldn't mind fewer stacks, especially after what I've just been through down in Iberia (posted screenies in the "Post your Empire Thread" for those interested).. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy_Faye View Post
    So this variation has a higher cost but with a lower lethality than than the last one?
    Exactly. Not everyone wants the same thing, eh?
    Both variations will be included in the update when it comes.
    Last edited by tone; September 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

I like the sound of this. Gonna try a few rounds as dacia

Hello Tone,

tried out this one. As for the number of stacks I'm still not far enough in the game to tell anything about it.
    Battles feel a lot better with this (though I lost the initial one against Hannibal) because if you got troups and enemys with lower morale, the quality of the general is more important. If you for instance manage to kill the enemy general in a battle that seems to be lost, there is a real chance to change the odds and make history.
    I will give more precise feedback, when I have played a little more.

I am going to do more testing tonight with the first one. I like the sound very of much of less stacks of this one though.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Hi tone, thanks for complying with everyone's own idea, you're a good person.

There seem to be clearly a difference now in battle. As Rome, fighting Carthage, I could break their line with a reasonable amount of charges in their back, while before I would throw charges after charges, and get more riders killed than enemy soldiers in the process. Still, the battles last long enough that it's not a clickfest and there is actually time for tactics, which is great.

Regarding the stacks spam, I couldn't tell. But honestly, there will always be too many stacks for my playing style, so I'll refrain from complaining.

Default Re: [RS 2.0] Fewer stacks, slightly shorter battles - BETA

tone, is this EDU consistent with the one updated in SVN? When I tried to update the SVN RS II (after I had applied the submod EDU) I had a message 'One or more files are in a conflicted state'. I know that if I delete these particular files, SVN will update them properly.. But then when I apply the submod again, will the SVN changes still apply? I'm confused here, sorry I have to waste your time, mate..

Sorry for this stupid question, but I wonder whether these changes are only for Rome, Parthia, Sarmatia and Scythia and if so why?
    Does it screw up the balance if I put the new txts in other campaigns aswell?
    Would really like to test this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius-Augustus View Post
    tone, is this EDU consistent with the one updated in SVN? When I tried to update the SVN RS II (after I had applied the submod EDU) I had a message 'One or more files are in a conflicted state'. I know that if I delete these particular files, SVN will update them properly.. But then when I apply the submod again, will the SVN changes still apply? I'm confused here, sorry I have to waste your time, mate..
    [THIS INFO IS FOR RS2 BETA TESTERS ONLY] Delete the files, update via SVN, then reapply the patch. I've actually included those files in the latest SVN update in a folder in "Important Stuff"

Sorry for this stupid question, but I wonder whether these changes are only for Rome, Parthia, Sarmatia and Scythia and if so why?
    Does it screw up the balance if I put the new txts in other campaigns aswell?
    Would really like to test this out.
    No these changes apply to all campaigns as all other campaigns use the EDU file found in data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF/Single_Player (this is transferred across by the launcher each time you run the campaign to the /data folder). The other mod foldered campaigns have no seperate EDU files of their own.

Hello Tone,

first of all thank you very much for making these patches and for this wonderful mod!

I played Roma-campaigns untill the year of 555 with and without the patch and so could make a comparision according to the the military strengh of Rome (me) and Karthargo.

(Situation in both campaigns is quite similar: Conquered Pollentiae and Sagunton from Karthargo, threatening Karthargo Nova)

So here is what I got:

Military strengh in Vanilla RS 555:
    Rome: ca.700.000
    Karthargo: ca.1.200.000

And with the patch in 555:
    Rome: ca. 700.000
    Karthago: ca. 650.000
    (an no other faction fields more than 800.000)

So one can say, that in early game the patch indeed works very good. (Some might say it works too good, but I am very glad with the changes. You also have epic battles but not every single turn, and with the higher upkeep it's harder to field army after army yourself)

As to the population it is as follows:

Vanilla:
    Rome: 130.000 / Karthago: 120.000

With patch:
    Rome: 140.000 / Karthago: 130.000

So, population is slightly affected but not that much.

Battles still feel a lot better with the slightly lowered morale. Soldiers are still brave, but not like superhumans anymore. So, when things go that bad, that rooting seems to be the only possibility left, they root.

For me this patch is a great inprovement so far. Indeed stack-spamming would have made me stop to play the mod in spite of all the wonderful things in it.

So, thanks again!
    Last edited by Quirinus Kuhlmann; September 16, 2010 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks for your feedback. Any other comments from anyone? Too much reduction? Not enough?

As some of you have read, I'm retiring from modding, and I'd love to have things sorted before I stop.

RJA's Avatar Semisalis

I'm using this one too in my new Roman campaign. I'll give a comparison with my old Roman campaign as soon as I get to the same year.

RJA
    If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences
    William Thomas

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Are you retiring tone? You Sir, will be missed.

As for comments, I'd say raise again a tiny bit unit prices (to counter stackspam). Up to 20%? I'd actually maybe try to remove another morale point from everybody, and leave lethality as it is. That way we can get some of the very principle of flank covering back in the game (I know attacks from flank and behind are still the battle winner now, but for the amount of time required to do so, it doesn't seem so crucial not to let anyone in your back).

Thanks for explaining tone

Piros's Avatar Libertus

I think that the morality, the defense and the this lethality well. What it is necessary to increase is the maintenance of troops according to his type and the cost of the buildings

If the battles are mas long, it has time the ia to of moving and not to win him in 5 min since he prefers the majority. This to my does not even entertain me

PD:Thank you Tone for the working overtime

I haven't played that much but i did try both your edu's. I kinda like them both and with vanilla RS it offers great alternatives.

I'm playing this right now, it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is very similar to 1-turn recruitment (at least first 50 turns)
    << Sole che sorgi libero e giocondo
    svl colle nostro i tvoi cavalli doma;
    tv non vedrai nessvna cosa al mondo
    maggior di Roma. >>

Delysid's Avatar Tiro

I really do enjoy this version, fits what i'm after perfectly
    Doesn't feel like there is an endless stack spam anymore, whilst still having some epic battles occasionally.
    Caledonian Campaign submod for RS2.5 CLICK HERE!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast