Thread: [Proposal] Bare Bones Mod

TheBlobThing's Avatar Semisalis

Default [Proposal] Bare Bones Mod

Hi all you talented modders!

First of all, thanks for publishing your work for the rest of us to enjoy.

Now, I propose a "new" kind of mod. Like many of you, I wasn't completely satisfied with the tweaking and balancing of vanilla NTW. The fast battles, units flying around the battlefield and exorbitant death rates doesn't adequately capture the feel of Napoleonic battles. It seems like it has been balanced for twitch skilled multiplayer (not to disparage that kind of game, just not to my liking) instead of careful single player generals like myself.

I've been shopping around for a good mod to satisfy my needs and for a while I thought I had found one in The Rights of Man 2. It slowed down the pace of the battles, tweaked a little bit of the campaign for slower expansion and otherwise left it at that! But recently they've decided to add a whole slew of new units, changed the tech tree, rebalanced the income so one is struggling to maintain a few stacks etc.

Anyway, my point is I wasn't satisfied with this mod seeing as it changed too much of the core game, which I find to be quite well done.

What I'm looking for is a mod that stays as close to the vanilla game as possible (don't fix what isn't broken), yet slowing the pace of the game down just a notch. I'm looking for the feel of Lands to Conquer by Jack Lusted for M2TW.

My proposal is this:

• Slow down marching speed of all units.
    • Lower musket lethality.
    • Remove fire and advance and grenades ability from all units.
    • Add the units from the roster which are missing in GC (King's German Legion lights for instance).

And that's about it really. Anything else anyone wants to add should be their own little project. I usually prefer to mix and match the mini mods I like so I get the experience I like. But any mod that changes the core game mechanics usually include a lot of stuff I'm not completely satisfied with. I think the community needs a sort of Bare Bones Mod, and I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Any feedback for my proposal? Any essential tweaks I've left out? Is my idea completely rubbish and should I just be satisfied with what's out there? Would you rather live in a world without bacon, coffee or beer?
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Re: [Proposal] Bare Bones Mod

Blobthing -

I absolutely hear what you are saying - the ability to choose what you want is the way I prefer to go, but the major mods are terrific and very tempting, eh? We just have to balance the fact that with them we have a virtually new game experience with the drawbacks of certain features we might not like. And the bigger a mod gets, the greater this balancing act becomes. And of course that's even more true of mods that compile smaller mods.

Anyway, enough of my opinion! I also very much like TROM2 (especially to play while finishing the new version of NER). Personally, I'm lucky in that I like all of TROMs features - but completely get your suggestion.

Sooo... I enclose a version of it from which (I think at least) I have stripped eveything that isn't battle related. My hope is that it gives the great TROM battles but leaves you able to add other stuff as you want.

Blobthing - I have not tested this except to start up a custom land battle which seemed fine. Perheps I might say "over to you" and you'd like to do some testing on it and let me know if it's what you have in mind?

ALL DUE CREDIT ETC. TO TROM TEAM AND THEIR EXCELLENT PUBLIC BETA FOR 1.6 FROM WHICH THESE FILES ARE DRAWN.

IMPORTANT: The enclosure has been superseded by post #10 below and is left here only for version records/history. Please use the version in Post #10 below http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8116759#post8116759
    Last edited by Pdguru; September 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM.

That was prompt. Thank you very much for this. I'll give it a try immediately and, of course, + rep to you sir!
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

Nice work + rep
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Just gave it a quick spin. This is more or less exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!
    Disclaimer:

Thanks Pdguru for doing that. The only big difference from the current TROM2 battle mechanics is that the skirmish attribute for line and light infantry is missing, so they don't fire in 2-3 rows.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    Thanks Pdguru for doing that. The only big difference from the current TROM2 battle mechanics is that the skirmish attribute for line and light infantry is missing, so they don't fire in 2-3 rows.
    Hi Yarkis - are you saying that attribute is missing from the bare bones files? If so, how can I get it back in?

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    Hi Yarkis - are you saying that attribute is missing from the bare bones files? If so, how can I get it back in?
    No, that attribute is in the unit stats tables, so you would have to add a changed vanilla one.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

No, that attribute is in the unit stats tables, so you would have to add a changed vanilla one.
    Yes. Despite my best efforts, I don't seem to be able to do that, Yarkis - PFM leaves me baffled sometimes. I guess it's the revised AOR units. Is there any chance you could add the TROM unit stats tables without the AOR bits to this mini-mod for us? All due credit will be given accordingly of course. Fully understand you won't if its a lot of work, but just asking... :-)
    Last edited by Pdguru; September 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Here is a TROM2 1.7 barbones version. Couldn't test all aspects of it, but it should work. It contains the newest TROM2 battle mechanics including TROM2 unit stats, adapted unit prices and animation changes of the yet unpublished 1.7 version.

EDIT: Removed attachment. See new version below.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; September 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Here is a TROM2 1.7 barbones version. Couldn't test all aspects of it, but it should work. It contains the newest TROM2 battle mechanics including TROM2 unit stats, adapted unit prices and animation changes of the yet unpublished 1.7 version.
    You are a splendid chap! I will direct folks from my hub page to the thread above with full credit to you. Thank you from me and all those who were looking and hoping for this. +REP!

EDIT: Beta thread added to Gameplay Tweeks section: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=391023
    Last edited by Pdguru; September 20, 2010 at 08:57 AM.

Here is a new version of the TROM2 barebones mod: TROM2 1.71 battle mechanics (with fixed BAI) without the campaign stuff. Enjoy!

Cheers matey. Although I'm quite obsessed with Civ V at the moment, I'll download this for later use.

+ rep
    Disclaimer: