Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civitates - what are they? & where do they come from?

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Default Civitates - what are they? & where do they come from?

One of the thinhs that has come out of the 'Too Much red in TWC' thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...480#post692480) is a mention that a clearly defined statement of what members should be a civitate needs to be made.

I'd like to extend that to what a civitate needs to do.

There is already a thread giving the broad outlines of Civitateship, but its a bit wooly and not well structured - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=civitate

So
    - what do people think a Civitate is?
    - what makes a good candidate?
    - how should a candidate be proposed (eg. is the single Patrician good enough?)
    - how should we decide who can become a civitate? what criteria should staff use?
    - what does a civitate need to do to stay a civitate?

if we can come to an agreement then we can put together an act of law to define all of this, and get someone to write a clear guide to being a civitate that everyone can base decisions on.

Anyway, post your ideas please..... I'll regularly summarise where people have got to.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

• Civitates are mature, productive members of the community who stand up as examples of how members should act. As such Civitates are expected to be civil and productive in discussions (ie not spamming), and to be eager to help TWC in some way.
    • :sign_stup (look up)
    • I like Archer's idea of having one primary Patrician and then reccommendations of other Patricians. We could keep it within the family; say a member of the Sib family wanted to patronise a member, he'd need to get a few good words from other Sib family Patricians, or maybe even from the pater familias himself.
    • It's a hard choice for staff to make. Generally we go on their posts and how they act in debates, and some of my personal decision making is how much I think they'd like to contribute to the site.
    • I don't think we should require Civitates to do all that much to "stay" Civitates. The only case of this would be a Civitate with an official warning, who should be voted on again by the Staff, in my opinion, or ostrakoned.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Well... I totally consent with Justinians definition of what a civitates really is. And I simply like the thought of Archer that the "adoption" of a civitate comes through a consensus (of what kind soever) within the family of the person adopted. By this way, staff or board administrators will be kept out on closer defining the civitates status. One would expect, that the honorable fathers of the families would take care that the person adopted has shown the qualities mentioned by Justinian unter point (1).

A closer definition will be hard to give, as we don't want to define a civitates as someone who can mod or write in the curia, or simply show a helpful and friendly attitude towards other members. Any definition covering those points would restrict in an unnecessary way and would probably be creating a catalogue of requirements not met by anybody i fear...
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Civitates should be important and respected members of the community.
    Civitates should be the equal of "Contributing members".

And most of the Civitates deserve their award. I think I deserve it, helping the community, especially the Modding rookies.... :original:
    Most of my posts are in the Mod Workshop, helping out.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

A civitates is a member of the community who, in his own way, has made a possitive contribution to the community. please note :The community not Curia.

A member who obeys the rules of the site and has shown himself to be friendly and a possitive influence on the community.

Yes, a single Patrician is good enough, lets not overcomplicate it.

- how should we decide who can become a civitate? what criteria should staff use?
    1)Good Post Quality
    2)Having a possitive influence on the community.
    3)Being a regular member.
    4)Contributing to any part of the community, ranging from modders to debators to "lovers" of the Curia

Once a civitates has been made a civitates he stays a civitates unless he disobeys the TOS or constitution.

Dont Overcomplicate a system that works!
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

My thoughts:
    • There should be two criteria to be a Civitates: one, they must not flame or act uncivil; and two, they must contribute substantially to the forums in some way, whether by releasing mods, making consistently intelligent contributions to discussions anywhere on the boards, or providing assistance to people in places such as the Technical Help Center or Basement.
    • When a Civitates is proposed, their name should be posted by their would-be patron in a special thread in the Curia intended for that purpose. All members of the site who have specific posts by the nominee that they think are relevant to the vote (either for good or bad, brilliant exposition or flame) should then PM them to staff, who would post them in the nomination thread in the staff forum. About three days after the name is proposed in the Curia, the vote in the staff forum will be opened and proceed as normal.
    • A two-thirds majority of non-abstaining staff should be required to initiate someone as Civitates. Clear reasons should have to be stated for yes or no votes, based on available evidence (none of this "I've never seen him before and have barely glanced over his posts but I vote yes/no", if you don't know him either look over his posts thoroughly or abstain).
    • Any Civitates who receives a warning should be subject to an immediate revote by staff.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    My thoughts:
    • When a Civitates is proposed, their name should be posted by their would-be patron in a special thread in the Curia intended for that purpose. All members of the site who have specific posts by the nominee that they think are relevant to the vote (either for good or bad, brilliant exposition or flame) should then PM them to staff, who would post them in the nomination thread in the staff forum. About three days after the name is proposed in the Curia, the vote in the staff forum will be opened and proceed as normal.
    now that's a nice idea.

My thoughts:
    • A two-thirds majority of non-abstaining staff should be required to initiate someone as Civitates. Clear reasons should have to be stated for yes or no votes, based on available evidence (none of this "I've never seen him before and have barely glanced over his posts but I vote yes/no", if you don't know him either look over his posts thoroughly or abstain).
    • Any Civitates who receives a warning should be subject to an immediate revote by staff.
    Thank god! I'm getting quite sick of staff members just posting their yes/no vote and not saying why. Perhaps I'm overreacting but I try to at least give some reasons for why I voted the way I did... and I think it should be required.

So, yeah, I agree with Sim.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Sim you dont mind if I use that one?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

ok, whereas this is all quite useful for the reforms, if we are to put together a guide for being a civitate and for becoming one, what do we need in it?

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus Maximus
    A civitates is a member of the community who, in his own way, has made a possitive contribution to the community. please note :The community not Curia.

A member who obeys the rules of the site and has shown himself to be friendly and a possitive influence on the community.

Yes, a single Patrician is good enough, lets not overcomplicate it.

1)Good Post Quality
    2)Having a possitive influence on the community.
    3)Being a regular member.
    4)Contributing to any part of the community, ranging from modders to debators to "lovers" of the Curia

Once a civitates has been made a civitates he stays a civitates unless he disobeys the TOS or constitution.

Dont Overcomplicate a system that works!
    I agree in every way with this point of view. Civitate is for the community, ranging from modders to debaters. NOT just Curia lovers.

A two-thirds majority of non-abstaining staff should be required to initiate someone as Civitates. Clear reasons should have to be stated for yes or no votes, based on available evidence (none of this "I've never seen him before and have barely glanced over his posts but I vote yes/no", if you don't know him either look over his posts thoroughly or abstain).
    Any Civitates who receives a warning should be subject to an immediate revote by staff.
    I agree with this. A revote is something that could work.

Define Curia Lovers?

ranging from modders
    Why a modder??? Because he has Sw33t Pix!!!11one

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Hicks
    Define Curia Lovers?
    Early in the "Too much red in TWC" thread people were saying that Civitates should have to participate in the Curia, which shouldnot be.

Because they are what makes this community great. Did you not know that most of the traffic here is people looking for mods? That is what drew me here. Modders dedicate mass amounts of time working on their masterpieces and releasing them to the people, to the community, they should be commended for such.

Because they are what makes this community great. Did you not know that most of the traffic here is people looking for mods? That is what drew me here. Modders dedicate mass amounts of time working on their masterpieces and releasing them to the people, to the community, they should be commended for such.
    I agree in every way with this point of view.

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

Because Modders who actually release working stuff to the community are easy to spot and their contribution is obvious....

unlike the rest of us whose contribution is less easier to define.

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

Early in the "Too much red in TWC" thread people were saying that Civitates should have to participate in the Curia, which shouldnot be.
    That was me you fascist pig! :laughing:
    Because Modders who actually release working stuff to the community are easy to spot and their contribution is obvious....
    Like i said, Sw33t pix!!!111one.

on a similar note, I'm going to have to start actualy visiting the RTW sections again.

This gives me an idea...... A PURGE OF THE MODS!!!! no, not realy, but an award for the members awards thing.

Best Modder or something.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos

The Man! I agree 100% with both points. After that discussion I think there's no need for change. No need at all.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

perhaps nominations for new civitates should be viewable to the general curia, but only votable by the staff. that way, if any curia members have an issue regarding a particular nomination, they can make their concerns known and the staff can take that into advice when making their decision. not all staff members are familiar with all nominees i would imagine..
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Okay as a new civitates, i would like to say a few things. i agree that civitates should need a majority vote to become one, and that time is given for people to say anything they want about the prospective civitates, whether it be good or bad.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

And all Civitates should be encouraged, not forced, but encouraged by their respective patrons and staff, to participate in curial matters, be they Civitate that emerged because of good posting or if they be Civitates that come from the ranks of the moders...

Of course, if someone does not want to partake in politics then there's no problem.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast