Thread: The Napoleonic Wars, a single faction mod.

Default The Napoleonic Wars, a single faction mod.

THE NAPOLEONIC WARS
    (BETA)

I've been working on a modification, that will hopefully provide a different experience when playing as the french. And only as the french.
    The aim for me, with this mod, has mainly been to increase my own joy when playing as the french, as it is the only faction I ever play as. Therefore, should you decide to play the coalition campaign, you will find it to be extemely easy, bordering on ridiculous.
    However, if you play the french campaign, you will probably find it to be somewhat challenging.
    This is very much a work in progress, however, you will not find any blank unit cards or anything like that. You will find a lot of spelling mistakes (I simply haven't been bothered to correct my grammar yet).

Beneath this text, you will find a changelog, as well as a short introduction to what I hope to achieve with this mod. Also, there will be a list of changes that I hope to incorporate into the next version.

Mod goals:

The goal of this very mod is to make the 1805-1812 campaign extremely hard. This obviously means that you will only be able to play as the french (for now).
    I might make the coalition campaign playable in later versions, however, do not expect it to happen anytime soon.
    I hope to be able to make the game play differently, both on the campaign map, and during the battles.
    Check the changelog to find out how.

Changelog:

Beta 1:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Changed unit sizes for the big seven (Ottomans, France, Spain, England, Russia, Austria, Prussia), every other country retains the normal unit sizes. Always felt so very dumb having to send a full stack to conquer Oldenburg.

Added custom portraits for every single historical character, if I could find one that fullfilled my criterias (colors, no pencil sketches). Added random portrait to other characters.

Changed colors on the campaign map.

Changed the mini map.

Infantry has been divided into 3 different roles. Skirmisheres have been deleted from the game.
    What was once skirmishers and light infantry now functions as line infantry, however, they reload faster.
    Grenadiers and elite units reload at the same speed as normal line infantry, but have superior morale, and much better melee, making them ideal for shock attacks.
    Line infantry is the basic all-around unit.
    Militia is very weak, but can gain significant morale bonuses through research.

Artillery work as usual, however, now take up less space, front wise (the cannons are closer together).

Cavalry sizes remain almost unchanged, however, they're very strong in melee.

On the battlemap, armies should now take up a much smaller front, due to more ranks. Cannon lethality tuned accordingly.

Generals have a bodyguard of 80 men, which will allow you to have multiple commanders acting as cavalry (you can now have the ultimate army with BOTH Napoleon and Davout in it, yay).

Building effects have been reworked, now gives minimal economic boosts, but a lot of other effects instead.

Monetary gain has been lowered a great deal. No longer will you end each turn in 1810 with 100000 gold coins, income should only rise slightly through the game now.

Redid every single technology, and added some new ones.

No naval changes when it comes to battles, however ships now cost a lot more, and take a lot longer to create. However, they have zero upkeep.

Ports are very important to your economy, you might want to actually keep a navy to defend them now.

French units have lower morale than any other country (the Old Guard is an exception), I'd love some feedback on whether it needs to be even lower.

Loads of other stuff I've forgotten by now.

Changes for the next version (hopefully):

Add more portraits, remove the ones that have a bad quality.

Redo building cost.

Make Kingdom of Italy and Batavian Republic protectorates of France.

Add more fleets at the start of the campaign, make some ports more developed.

Remove some of the units, only one "light" (fast reloading time unit) infantry unit per faction should remain.

Change Catalonia into Napoleonic Kingdom of Spain.

Change Italy into Kingdom of Murat.

Change Josias I to Jerome Bonaparte (he already got the proper picture, just missing the name. Kingdom of Holland will now proper have Louis Bonaparte with corresponding picture).

Redo campaign flags.

Change unit size of french units to 420 man per unit, cavalry will remain the same.

My plans is to redo the uniforms of every single unit in the game, however, it will have to wait for version 3 or something like that.

In game picture!

Installation:

Put the data folder in your napoleon total war directory.

For me, it would be e:/programs/steam/SteamApps/common/napoleon total war

Use the mod manager to apply the files.

I highly recommend using the Universal AI Mod
    I have not made any AI changes myself.

Enjoy!

http://www.filefront.com/17284576/Th...Wars-Beta.rar/

http://www.2shared.com/file/P1_clsXI...Wars_Beta.html

Last edited by Cozur; September 14, 2010 at 09:42 AM.

Atlaas's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: The Napoleonic Wars, a single faction mod.

Awesome portraits and mini-map, i like them! Much more immersive .

I've always been suspicious about the technologies. In a time frame less than 8 years, how can a faction realize such a technological advance? It seems like just a residual feature from Empire.

Unfortunately, i'm not such an accomplished player to enjoy your mod. Good work anyway.

New download link up.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    Added custom portraits for every single historical character, if I could find one that fullfilled my criterias (colors, no pencil sketches). Added random portrait to other characters.

Cozur, would it be possible for you to offer this feature as a mini-mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Leoben View Post
    Cozur, would it be possible for you to offer this feature as a mini-mod?
    Yes, as it is right now, the portrait part is still very much WIP, but when it is complete, it will be downloadable as a mini-mod.

hello cozur,
    a really good work. I hope you continue to beat.
    gruß heinacgg

this mod isn't are working at my NTW. it just crashes when goes to scenario and custom battle and after 18-29 turns in campaing. any ideas why??

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I don't understand why you put French moral under other nations, I think you could put it on equal level as the other major powers.

I agree with Cpt.Wsq96. french didn't have that low morale, they had high morale if Napoleon were commanding or near them but those portraits are awesome, they should be a mini-mod.