Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditch the new Civitates thread?

Default Ditch the new Civitates thread?

I would like to say that it would be better for us to have a thread updated by someone, in which no one can post, regarding what members get promoted to Civitates. The thread would only say who got promoted, and who is the patron of the new civitate. This would be only for information, you know, so that we can know who the new Civitates are.

I say this because the current "New Civitates Post Here" is too spammy (By nature) and really, just quite pointless, what is the point in saying "Welcome to the Curia"?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Hmm..., I disagree with this.

Yes the new Civ thread is spammy because of its nature, BUT it gets it's job done. Is there any real need to see a list of the new civs?

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

I think this is a friendly way of entering the Curia. It's a bit of light relief that is contained.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

This thread is basically a duplicate, as far as I'm concerned. If you think the other thread has strayed from its purpose, suggest it be replaced with something like this. For now, closed.

Edit: Renamed to avoid confusion, the appropriate posts split to the new Civitates thread, and reopened for discussion.
    Last edited by Simetrical; December 04, 2005 at 11:54 PM.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Leave it, its a nice thread. We need one or two relaxed threads in TWC..
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

The new Civitates thread does tend to go off topic a lot but it's a nice thread to greet and meet new Civs.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    I would like to say that it would be better for us to have a thread updated by someone, in which no one can post, regarding what members get promoted to Civitates. The thread would only say who got promoted, and who is the patron of the new civitate. This would be only for information, you know, so that we can know who the new Civitates are.

I say this because the current "New Civitates Post Here" is too spammy (By nature) and really, just quite pointless, what is the point in saying "Welcome to the Curia"?
    It's a nice and welcoming thread, and it isn't like there are no other "spammy topics" around on the main forums.

Basically I disagree.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

I enjoy, for the most part, the welcoming thread. It is nice and chatty. However, I think that a more formal topic would be very helpful to everyone if it showed who is a patron of who, especially with so many Civs running around.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Let it go offtopic - really, what is the topic of a welcoming thread? It has helped me a lot to get to know people around here and for the first time actively exchange a few posts with them. I think it does help to make yourself known as a civitates.
    Atmosphere is a thing that does matter in a forum. And if you are being promoted to civitates it is nice to have a welcoming atmosphere. It makes you feel like becoming part of the family.

If at all I would make two threads
    (1) One for active welcoming by members replying
    (2) One for announcing new civitates within which no one else can post.

But I would not lower the standard for welcomning spam. Because even the open thread should not become a "welcome total spamfest".
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Leave it, its a nice place where we can spam and not have it called that.... like a smoker's lounge or something.. leave it
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Do not close it, it is cool and relaxed and certainly a place to go once in a while to know who's who around here... Plus there are some really delicious posts in there.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

no to closing it, it's an important part of building a friendly community here at TWC, along with the other much maligned threads (Say Cheese, The Babes Thread, Meet the staff - the alternative).

All are relaxed places where you can log on and have a laugh, if we can't supply that in TWC we may as well shut up shop and go and buy the anoracks we would clearly deserve
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Ok then, its spam but its justifiable spam. So then why are moderators moderating the thread? Either let the thread be and move to its natural direction, or ditch the thread, I don't see why we need TBN or Simtrical, or Fabolous spending unnecessary time moderating that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TBN
    Anyway, this thread is being hijacked with discussion of SMs avatar, keep on topic, guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabolous
    Honestly people, can you stop commenting on how you are all spamming? Either say hello, answer a question by a new civ, or talk about assassins. Other light spam is okay, but jesus, this is not a chat thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    First time I agree with Fabulous. You guys gotta stop spamming or i'll change your title to servus. That is the punishment for spammers. Let that be a Praefecti, i don't care.

Edit: Fabolous is a local moderator of the Curia now. he is a Quaestor and I can assign him to make civis and staff look bad, that they need a moderator to keep order here.

Fabolous, just delete spams and cut off stuff that looks like spam. Don't worry I got your back.
    So, Archer, will you allow that thread to move to its natural destination... ?

I wonder what Fabolous and TBN think about this...?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Well, it's okay to "spam" in there to welcome Civitates ... to a point. If there was a two-page discussion of SM's amazing avatar (which is gone!), we'd remove it because it has nothing to do with welcoming civitates and would probably confuse new civitates.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

I don't mind the light spam in that thread; the mention of assassins, the discussion of a civs name, etc. But what does disappoint me are off-topic things like people talking about things that have nothing to do with civitates at all, avatars, and your normal spam. But the thing that really annoys me the most is people commenting on the thread is full of spam. That is horribly annoying.

So yes, I think the thread is fine, and enjoy it. But people need to learn to be smart, and not ruin it.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Im supporting Jesus the Insane. Perhaps we could just get one moderator to post the new civitates that are admitted. Therefore, if we want to give them our congrats, we can just PM them. The new civitates is very spammy in nature.

Well, you guys wanna know my opinion?

This issue that TWC has with "spam" in my eyes almost borders on obsession. And the irony is that this is the least spammiest forum I've ever been a part of. Every halfway decent thread, it seems, has at least a few people mention something about spam, or stress about being "on topic". But really...conversation flows as it does, and its up to the individual to bring up issues to talk about what they deem interesting. I dont like how people always force people to stick to the topic...well sometimes the topic has been talked to death already or nobody has anything interesting to say, so just let the conversation go where it will, usually it will veer off on a semi-related topic and people can have some good conversation. Life is too short to worry so damn much, a thread is here for only a short time so people should just bring up what they want to bring up as long as it reasonably relates at all to the discussion being had at hand. If someone else feels a specific portion of the original topic is largely being ignored by the people in the thread, let them make a post and kindly point that fact out. 99% of the time that works to get people back on topic, and if not then that means the original topic has been discussed to death and people dont want to rehash the same arguments over and over again.

Close the most popular thread in the curia? The First friendly thread which many people find entertaining. God Civitates dont get much, but at least give them a thread where they can relx and get to know eachother giving a warm, informal welcome to the new members. When I was made Civitates I never got such a nice friendly welcome, I wish I did.....
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Why would we ditch that thread? It serves it's purpose. It's a nice place for new Civitates. And it's a place where people can relax and have a little fun.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I say no. Don't ditch it because it's a place where new Civitates can post.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast