Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniform's color

Default Uniform's color

Hi,

Thank you to correct th French word "voltiguers" by the right French word "voltigeurs".

In my opinion, the French uniform are too dark. Chasseurs à cheval look like Prussian, they are black. The French infantry is also too dark.

Don't no if it is the mods I play with or your choice.

Regards,

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Uniform's color

Quote Originally Posted by Fernand NAUDIN View Post

In my opinion, the French uniform are too dark. Chasseurs à cheval look like Prussian, they are black. The French infantry is also too dark.
    Had the same, I was fighting Prussia with france (1807 Campaign) and I almost couldn´t see the difference while they were in 1 to 1 combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernand NAUDIN View Post
    Hi,

Thank you to correct th French word "voltiguers" by the right French word "voltigeurs".

Don't no if it is the mods I play with or your choice.

Regards,
    Could you please attach/post a screenshot for reference? I haven't changed the Chasseurs á Cheval uniforms so it's rather strange

Thanks iutland

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

There ya go. Almost the only different between the units is the helmet

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I too did notice that the units appear very dark,almost black ..I thought it was just me

Quote Originally Posted by Lasseman View Post
    There ya go. Almost the only different between the units is the helmet
    Thanks, but I thought you wrote "á Cheval" (mounted unit). What French unit are we seeing (Chasseurs or Voltigeurs perhaps) in the screenshot?

If the answer is one of the above, I haven't changed those units at all or even prussian musketeers for that matter.

Cheers
    iutland

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

Well, it´s mostly for all French units that they are too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasseman View Post
    Well, it´s mostly for all French units that they are too dark.
    No problem then.
    What I have seen when modding and adding units is that the RGB colour I choose (as an example "blackish" front on a coat is RGB: 54 54 54 in the mod files but much darker in game) is represented darker in game. I will have a look at it and it's a very minor issue to lighten up the French blue on all French units.
    Does anyone have a link to uniform-plate with a better representation of "French blue"?

/iutland

EDIT: Added 54-54-54 screenshot FYI.

Lasseman's Avatar Civis

well, yeah you're right. Prussian and French uniforms looked pretty much the same in 1800. Well, we can blame them for that ^^

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Iutland View Post
    No problem then.
    What I have seen when modding and adding units is that the RGB colour I choose (as an example "blackish" front on a coat is RGB: 54 54 54 in the mod files but much darker in game) is represented darker in game. I will have a look at it and it's a very minor issue to lighten up the French blue on all French units.
    Does anyone have a link to uniform-plate with a better representation of "French blue"?

/iutland
    For French blue try attached - I believe the Grenadier a Cheval colour is the more accurate as it is more an indigo blue
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; September 21, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: additional pictures

Actually, the French wore a very dark blue uniform, some say almost black. On drawings and what not, they are a nice not very dark blue. But if you find a French uniform from the time, they are very dark. Sometimes in paintings they are shown correctly. But yer, the uniform of the french is a very dark blue.

1808 French Fusiliers and Officers

1805 French Fusiliers

Above is 1812 Chasseurs coat.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

The differences in French and Prussian blue are hard to represent and have caused wargamer arguments for years. The main distinguishing feature is the Prussian shako cover and greatcoat or blanket worn rolled across the body which causes a much different appearance from the French infantry,who in later battles usually wore greatcoats anyway.
    Last edited by Jihada; October 07, 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Page 440 in Chapter XXII entitled "Dressed to Kill" in Elting's "Swords Around a Throne" strongly suggests the original colour was Indigo Blue - see
    http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/overview/indigo.html for an example. The only reliable blue at the time was Indigo and the best sources came from Java, Bengal & Guatemala but the British blockade cut off supplies. As a result the substitute blue dyes available tended to end up any shade between a seasick green and royal purple after a little exposure to sun and rain.

1st Hussars are off too. It looks like whoever made it used the trumpeter's uniform.

They should be skyblue entirely, except for laces and facings.

See: http://www.napoleon-series.org/image...stHussars2.jpg

kenniston5's Avatar TAR local moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    1st Hussars are off too. It looks like whoever made it used the trumpeter's uniform.

They should be skyblue entirely, except for laces and facings.

See: http://www.napoleon-series.org/image...stHussars2.jpg
    Dude does it really matter?
    who ever made them did a good job,nothings going to be perfect.Its hard to skin units and these ones are good
    Last edited by kenniston5; December 07, 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenniston5 View Post
    Dude does it really matter?
    who ever made them did a good job,nothings going to be perfect.Its hard to skin units and these ones are good
    If one is claiming to be historically accurate, yes it matters. If not, then no, it does not.

It simply comes down to what standards of accuracy are acceptable, that's all. Knowing that the hussars are off makes me wonder how many of the other units I am less familiar with are as well. In this case it's a matter of very basic research.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    If one is claiming to be historically accurate, yes it matters. If not, then no, it does not.

It simply comes down to what standards of accuracy are acceptable, that's all. Knowing that the hussars are off makes me wonder how many of the other units I am less familiar with are as well. In this case it's a matter of very basic research.
    There are a number of issues at play here, from the use of skins by this mod (and others) that are created by other modders, to the variance in color representations on different GPUs, screens, settings, screen print variance, and even people's color perception - I for one am color blind (and so were some of the historical eye witnesses on whom we rely) which means what I see and what the next person sees can be subtly or even completely different. And BTW, color blindness effects many more people than most think, and to varying degrees.

There is also the matter of what is "fact": The research you refer to is far from basic - sources are many and contradictary, and may even all be correct given the variance in standards, the impact of weathering under different climates, age of uniforms, and the frequent changes of uniform standards (further complicated by the frequent instances of units not following them anyway) during the period.

My take is that the single truth of uniform colors is unknown and may not exist at all. Which, instead of resulting in a nagging doubt which detracts from the enjoyment of NTW as a staggeringly beautiful visual achievement, gives us freedom and flexibility to choose what we want, personally, in our games.

My 2 cents, for what its worth.

Last edited by Pdguru; December 08, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    There are a number of issues at play here, from the use of skins by this mod (and others) that are created by other modders, to the variance in color representations on different GPUs, screens, settings, screen print variance, and even people's color perception - I for one am color blind (and so were some of the historical eye witnesses on whom we rely) which means what I see and what the next person sees can be subtly or even completely different. And BTW, color blindness effects many more people than most think, and to varying degrees.

There is also the matter of what is "fact": The research you refer to is far from basic - sources are many and contradictary, and may even all be correct given the variance in standards, the impact of weathering under different climates, age of uniforms, and the frequent changes of uniform standards (further complicated by the frequent instances of units not following them anyway) during the period.

My take is that the single truth of uniform colors is unknown and may not exist at all. Which, instead of resulting in a nagging doubt which detracts from the enjoyment of NTW as a staggeringly beautiful visual achievement, gives us freedom and flexibility to choose what we want, personally, in our games.

My 2 cents, for what its worth.
    With regard to shade and tint, I would agree with you. There was a lot of variability with tones even within a single regiment. However, red is not blue. The 1st Hussars in the game have a red pelisse. Only the trumpeters wore red pelisses, the rest wore sky blue. It's obviously not a game changer, but it's one of those things that bugs you if you know what you're looking at.

Most artists, I would contend, are not colour blind either. Lets not democratize disabilities for the sake of rendering them normal. They're not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast