Thread: Map not displaying country ownership properly?

Default Map not displaying country ownership properly?

Anyone else notice that some countries the map shows that you own, whereas others that you own it show as belonging to another faction? Not too big of a bug but its kind of hard to see where I stand overview-wise with false data.

Using latest version, 5.9.7, install settings: BI.exe, faster movement, fatigue, prometheus cities. Using Windows 7 64-bit.

knguyen_93's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Map not displaying country ownership properly?

Something like this?

It happens because you load a save game from previous version of XGM or re-install it loads of time or its previous version runs with Alex and now you got BI . Gotta ask Dime how 2 fix it
    Đông Doanh Đệ Nhất Tiểu Suất Ca-Thạch Mỹ Na Tử

Ah, sonofa. Yeah, I used the regular RTW.exe file before and I had to reinstall it several times before I got it to stop crashing when I tried to conquer this one specific city and wipe out Macedonia.

Almost makes me want to start over... >.< I'll never see the map in all its glory once I own everything. *tear*

Ah, I finally get an answer to when I posted it.
    Strange. I've only ever used BI, I hadn't loaded it from a previous version (although I downloaded a newer one to try and fix it) and I've only re-downloaded it after after uninstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Diomede View Post
    Ah, I finally get an answer to when I posted it.
    Strange. I've only ever used BI, I hadn't loaded it from a previous version (although I downloaded a newer one to try and fix it) and I've only re-downloaded it after after uninstalling.
    Interesting. I wonder if then the bug was caused from me using an older version saved game or not. If you've stuck with the same .exe file and same version, sounds to me like this bug is indiscriminate.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I think I know what caused the problem. That kind of error, with messed up region owners, is usually caused by map changes. Even very slight changes to the shape of one region can change the internal region ids for large parts of the map. In the last couple of versions I fixed some problems with the land bridges. That hasn't caused this sort of problem in the past, but this time it must have made a difference to a region shape and broken saved-game compatibility.

BTW, switching exes will also cause problems, but it usually looks a bit different. Instead of region owners being messed up, you will lose the background map in the mini-map.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    I think I know what caused the problem. That kind of error, with messed up region owners, is usually caused by map changes. Even very slight changes to the shape of one region can change the internal region ids for large parts of the map. In the last couple of versions I fixed some problems with the land bridges. That hasn't caused this sort of problem in the past, but this time it must have made a difference to a region shape and broken saved-game compatibility.

BTW, switching exes will also cause problems, but it usually looks a bit different. Instead of region owners being messed up, you will lose the background map in the mini-map.
    Ohh, ok. Well, that's comforting actually then because that means my Macedonian campaign won't have the same fate befall it. Now if I can only fix the random CTDs after some battles I'll be good to go.

The random ctds after battles are pretty much unfixable. People have been trying to figure out a fix for years. It's a bug in vanilla RTW that seems to affect mods more but still occurs in the original game. When it happens all you can do is avoid capturing the city on the AI turn.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    The random ctds after battles are pretty much unfixable. People have been trying to figure out a fix for years. It's a bug in vanilla RTW that seems to affect mods more but still occurs in the original game. When it happens all you can do is avoid capturing the city on the AI turn.
    Yeah, it did happen once in a great while with vanilla but it does seem to be more frequent now. I usually just reload the game and auto resolve when that happens, since I don't want to do the same battle twice. The benefits definitely outweigh the cost though. Hell, I even use diplomacy in this game to do more than get trade rights from everyone...never did that before. Is there any way to fix the map glitch though?

For the map glitch the only thing you can do is revert to a saved game from before the glitch occurred, and revert to the version of XGM you were using then. There's really no way to fix up the affected saved games.