Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Deep-Sea creatures

Default New Deep-Sea creatures

Ok this thread is for all the bored people out there...

I was watching a documentary recently about all the freaky creatures that live in the depths of the sea, on the abyssal plain and such. They are truly, truly weird things, with teeth too big for their head, mouths that open twice as big as their own body and glowing bits and pieces hanging from them. Scientists also discovered that life doesnt need sunlight and can withstand tremendous heat.

So far, humans have only explored 1% of the abyssal plain, the vast flatness at the bottom of the ocean. What other creatures do u think live down there? be as scientific/creative as u want

I personally believe that Deep-Sea Unicorns exist. exactly like land unicorns, but they eat plankton and have fins instead of hooves. Theyd live in herds on the abyssal plain and can become invisible when submarines get too close

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Dude, dont you know about sea unicorns?

But seriously I would love to know more about what kinds of incredibly tasty *ehrm* I mean incredibly interesting creatures there are in the depths of the oceans.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Kino's Avatar Citizen

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by Kino; January 17, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
    "The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved they are Jesus in disguise." - Mother Teresa
    Under the patronage of Ardeur

yeH those underwater lagoons are damn strange. Imagine trying to swim in one lol

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

We know there are giant squids living in the deep.
    I just wonder what this giant predator hunts at.
    I think there must be some very big creatures down there.

What about 5 meter long lobsters, with scissors that can snap a man in half?

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

underwater lagoon? sounds interesting. Also, I assume that is why there is a beach on Spongebob Squarepants (well I amagine that's what it is)

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like that show. So random, so much humour that young children wouldn't get but the teenagers do!

There is so much ocean to discover. I have heard about several fish that were discovered that were thought to be extinct because no one found one until then.

What are some of these creepy things? Just goes to show how little we really know about our world.

This is why I like biology!

Worm of doom!

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by viteLius
    I personally believe that Deep-Sea Unicorns exist. exactly like land unicorns, but they eat plankton and have fins instead of hooves. Theyd live in herds on the abyssal plain and can become invisible when submarines get too close
    Just so you know: plantkon=photosynthetic organism hence living where light is . Perhaps your unicorns would survive by ejectintg bioluminescent compounds into the surrounding water to attract pray and then spear any unlucky fish with it`s retractable poison tipped horn. Why retractable you ask? So it can dislodge its prey and then consume said beast. Yes I am bored as well...
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

They'll all have to be destroyed, of course. Such abominations are not to be endured by this world's light. We explore these places only for this purpose - to exterminate.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge
    They'll all have to be destroyed, of course. Such abominations are not to be endured by this world's light. We explore these places only for this purpose - to exterminate.
    They're NOT endured by "this world's light", isn't that the point? Also, exterminating the creatures down there would probably be the most expensive venture ever performed underseas, considering that we can barely get down there with anything at the moment, let alone some kind of weapon that could work at that pressure and heat multiple times. The only interesting thing is that that ecosystem is probably pretty disconnected from any other one, so it's possible that if we did get rid of everything living down there it wouldn't produce much of an effect anywhere else. It's practically a different world.

I think the most likely "huge creature" down there is the huge blob-like thing scientists have speculated about. 200 Ft. long, much bigger than a blue whale, supposedly just a big jellyfish essentially, that digests whole huge fish at a time. They found a piece of one (supposedly).

Under the patronage of Last_Crusader.

With recent pictures of a giant squid taken finally after years of trying who knows what else is down there in the depths. It is virtually unexplored and there is no reason against the possiblity of creatures unbeknown to science down there somewhere
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Yeah i watched a show once with a guy that was talking about one of those giant squids. The squid had been washed up on the beach and was to be taken to an museum. Man when he touched the giant beak it was the size of his head!
    I didnt think squids had beaks, i thought it was just disney material.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

I think that there are some pretty freaky things down there, and i dont think i would like to be the one to go looking for them Imagine, if you can, that 200ft Blob of d00m...that would have me browning myself faster than linford christie

I would love to see a giant Goldfish though, nothing sharp and spikey. just a 600ft Goldfish that acts exactly like its minature counterparts - obviously it would be adapted to the heat - i just think that would be really cool
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Yeah if one like that was discovered it wouldnt take long before every millionaire had their own fish i an 800ft fishbowl!

And btw GrimSta i love your sig, SOAD rules the world!

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    We know there are giant squids living in the deep.
    I just wonder what this giant predator hunts at.
    I think there must be some very big creatures down there.

What about 5 meter long lobsters, with scissors that can snap a man in half?
    those giant squids are evil...but there must be something that eats them ? if u think about nature...there must be a predator that feeds off them.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

And btw GrimSta i love your sig, SOAD rules the world!
    Yay! thanks...i could maybe try and make an SOAD one for you too....

and i want myself a 600ft Goldfish now....imagine the conversations it would start

Visitor: So, John....were did you get that..umm...ahhh.....what is it?
    Me: Oh, the fish? thats just Goldy, we got him from the pet shop the other day, he was in the sale.
    Visitor: Sale? oh, oh really...umm, its...well, its a bit big....
    Me: Oh no, we managed to find an ideal tank, it was used to relocate London in 1984.
    Visitor: *faints*

Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Carach
    those giant squids are evil...but there must be something that eats them ? if u think about nature...there must be a predator that feeds off them.

There is always a top predator that is the biggest, I suspect that the giant squid is one.
    Sperm whales eat squid but I don't think they can handle giant squid.

But there must be a reason why squids get that large.
    They must hunt for something almost their own size.
    Maybe giant squid eats baby sperm whales, or maye there some giant fish living in the deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan11088
    Also, exterminating the creatures down there would probably be the most expensive venture ever performed underseas, considering that we can barely get down there with anything at the moment, let alone some kind of weapon that could work at that pressure and heat multiple times.
    You're being short-sighted. As the guy said - only 1% explored. There are undoubtedly horrors of the foulest and most indescribably abhorrent kind there, lurking, only waiting their chance to destroy humanity as soon as they learn of our existence. Christ, man, haven't you read any H. P. Lovecraft? I'm talking about the Deep Ones, the children of Dagon.

As for how it can be done, that's easy - chemicals. We solve our own problems of waste disposal of toxic and radioactive waste by launching it down there, and simultaneously giving us peace of mind by ensuring there are no dark corners of this Earth over which we are not masters.

There is always a top predator that is the biggest, I suspect that the giant squid is one.Sperm whales eat squid but I don't think they can handle giant squid.
    Actually, I believe the first ever evidence of giant squid, and the only evidence until very recently, were from carcases found inside the stomachs of dead sperm whales.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

I'd love to have a tank full of these freaks at home. I wouldnt doubt them ending up as a special delicacy in one of those posh restaurants.

Does anybody know about Tube Worms. They have no mouth, stomach or anus. Maybe their genes have a cure for obesity and politicians

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

There are some weird things down there. Will be interesting to see what happens. I can't wait.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast