Thread: Praetorian legions

Default Praetorian legions

Could you please upload a picture of the late Praetorian guard? It isn't available in custom battles, and in the camaign I am just fighting Cartage, so they are far, far away. I loved their lookin RSI, and I want to see how they look now.

Default Re: Praetorian legions

go look at the preview for the roman legions

From my campaign

Why they are called legion by the way? Shouldn't cohort be better name?

They don't have capes... I like my Praetorianswith capes

Sad but true....it was either that or reduce the quality a whole load to fit everything into the texture. Presonally I prefer guys that look like they do something other than posing around as extras for Gladiator

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Medieval American's Avatar Decanus

Wasn't there an Emperor that actually campaigned with a Praetorian Guard unit that fought in battle?

EDIT: It was Marcus Aurelius in his War against the Germanian Tribes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praetorian_Guard

Must have been a real morale boost to see them on the field fighting along side the regular legions.
    Last edited by Medieval American; September 11, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

The Praetorians were involved in quite a few battles on the Roman frontier - they pushed into Germania under Germanicus during the reign of Tiberius in the campaigns waged to avenge the Varus Disaster of 9 AD, and were involved in heavy fighting in Dacia under the reign of Domitian - in fact, Roman army that was ambushed by the Dacians at Tapae in 87 AD was led by the Praetorian Prefect Cornelius Fuscus, who was killed in the ambush, along with a decent number of Praetorians (who lost several standards). They also accompanied Trajan and Marcus Aurelius on their campaigns and were probably involved in fighting under both of these Emperors.
    The Praetorians weren't the layabouts that a lot of people think they were.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Also involved (I think) in Claudius' invasion of Britain if Simon Scarrow's books are accurate about that.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Ryo! +rep! That gave me a good laugh.

Civis

Wow, I had no idea. I'm sure that would've been quite the sight to the average legionnaire.

I just searched for Simon Scarrow on Amazon... I see a book called Under the Eagle: A Tale of Military Adventure and Reckless Heroism with the Roman Legions. That sounds like something I'm going to HAVE to read!!! Thanks again Tone!

He's written a whole load of novels about a pair of guys : Cato and Macro who are Centurion and Optio. Great books.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    He's written a whole load of novels about a pair of guys : Cato and Macro who are Centurion and Optio. Great books.
    ya get them they are great, im waiting for eagle in the sand to come, as i have read up to that and have the books after but eagle in the sand was not in stock at my national bookstore(chapters) so who knows when i will get it. His Wellington/napoleon series was quite good too

Very well then. I'm glad I didn't order yet, I'm going to order Centurion (Eagle), which from what I understand so far, is the first in the long series of books. Always best to start at the top, especially with Winter on the way!

it goes in this order

1. Under the Eagle (2000)
    2. The Eagle's Conquest (2001)
    3. When the Eagle Hunts (2002)
    4. The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)
    5. The Eagle's Prey (2004)
    6. The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)
    7. The Eagle in the Sand (2006)
    8. Centurion (2007)
    9. The Gladiator (August 2009) [5]
    10. The Legion (November 2010)[6]

High Chunker Greens's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah I made the mistake of reading centurion first but anyway you should buy the series the books are very good

Also involved (I think) in Claudius' invasion of Britain if Simon Scarrow's books are accurate about that.
    Not as far as I'm aware - Claudius rocked up after the Romans took Camulodunum, riding on an elephant, and accompanied by the Praetorians. As far as I'm aware, the Praetorians never did any fighting during Claudius' campaign in Britain, which, realistically speaking, was Claudius' campaign in name only, since it was the legati that made all the decisions in the field, both strategic and tactical.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Quintus Licinius Cato's Avatar Foederatus

Without a doubt one of the greatest military series ever...