Thread: Unit scale realism

Default Unit scale realism

Hello, wonderful job with the RS2, amazing, THANK YOU!
    I have just one question: the mod is amazingly realistic, but one thing is not: why the legion century has 53 soldiers (Normal scale)? In reality it has 80 and the first cohort 160 men. Is it technical reason, or?
    Otherwise the mod is aweeesome!!!
    Thanks!

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Unit scale realism

Balancing?

Then why not increase the unit count proportionally of all factions? Its strange, mod so deeply realistic to have obvious "unrealistic" unit scale.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, i don't have anything against it.
    Just asking

pretend its a maniple centuries never went alone anyway

They are cohorts not centuries and 240 men for one unit on huge unit size is the max.

Cohort consists of 6 centuries (3 maniples), the first cohort of 5 centuries but double men (160).
    In the game they are called cohorts, but they are clearly centuries

It's not possible to have 480 men size cohorts. And I think it's better to call them cohorts for gameplay reasons. There are hardcoded limits and unfortunately they can not be changed.

Unit size is subject to change according to every player's personal preference and a single unit size setting affects all the units in the game. It was never meant to represent actual battalion size of any particular ancient army. Jeez.

It's like complaining that the screen brightness is too high because a faction's uniforms are supposed to be darker. It's a gameplay setting and has nothing to do with history.

I guess you can edit the unit sizes in the EDU so they have 80 men on a particular size setting. 250 is max afaik.

I'm not complaining! I was just curious.

Basically as has been pointed out, the're cohorts, not centuries, just the same as a twenty unit stack is a legion, not a cohort. So you've just got to remember that everything is scaled down hugely from the real numbers.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

The best that RTW can hope for (since CA are ignorant, arrogant, jealous gits who wont allow the EXE edited) is a 1/3 scale battle environment.
    I like pie.

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

You do know that you can change the unit size? Since you mention "normal scale" it appears so. Just checking the basics...

I always play on huge. That was the best thing I ever discovered in this game...

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

My computer would just stop trying and give my the finger if the unit sizes were anything near realistic.