View Poll Results: What factions would you like to see in the next MAJOR release.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, France

18 26.87%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, Germany

39 58.21%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, Poland

4 5.97%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 2) Faction 2, Denmark

24 35.82%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 2) Faction 2, Romania

14 20.90%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 3) Faction 3, Benelux

17 25.37%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 3) Faction 3, Australia & NZ

31 46.27%
  • (Choose 1 for insurgent) Insurgent, Haqqani Network

20 29.85%
  • (Choose 1 for insurgent) Insurgent, Lakshar-e-Taiba

16 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Advance to Contact:- 0.5.1 Beta released. Poll to choose the next 4 factions!

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- The custom battlemod modern warfare series replacing NAW!

We're waiting for the good news

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- The custom battlemod modern warfare series replacing NAW!

People people roll up roll up, Expect a beta inside a month (hopefully!!!!)

This is your chance to tell us what YOU want in the beta, we will have our maps, 4 units from 3 of the 4 factions (hopefully the 4th too!) and possibly our GMG's and a new UI.

I can tell you...

- Its best to play on the small unit setting, as our units are intended to be section/twin section in size, this is what the mod will be balanced for. However, larger sizes will be close to platoon and half company sizes at the price of balance! We will not balance the game for larger unit scales.
    - Expect snipers to be lethal!
    - Each faction has, one elite unit, 1 regular infantry unit, 1 sniper unit, and lastly one light infantry/better than regular infantry unit.
    - If we include our GMG's, watch out for the AGS, its fragmentation round means its a nasty piece of work. The Mk19 and HK GMG's larger HE round will come into its own against buildings and vehicles (if we get vehicles at a later date)
    - No cavalry until the AUPP's, where a couple of realistic cavalry units will be added. (Yes, cavalry, in Afghanistan, it happened)
    - Artillery and Ma Deuce, I'd like to get a few pieces artillery and the HMG's in game as well, depends on our timing.
    - No CAS as yet peoples.
    - No weapon models or unit skins yet I'm afraid, our units are simply in the sizes we'd like and firing at the rates and ranges we'd like.
    - Watch out for the Taliban, sure, they can't hit much, but they are extremely hard to rout, have insanely good stamina, can hide anywhere, and the weather and terrain shouldn't effect them.
    - The ANA share some of these traits, yet with more westernised kit and training.
    - ISAF forces can be seen (with the exception of a few units) but their accuracy and firepower means they can respond to any threat well once its identified.
    - Please bare in mind, its an open beta, we do NEED your feedback, every last bit of it.

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

We would also like to know how many units you would like for each faction. Are u happy with 4 units? or do u rather have 8 now? (this is for the beta, later versions will have more be sure)

And darkhorse you forgot some things:
    -new loading screens and quotes
    -new main music
    -and perhaps we'll have our custom LA85 in it but without textures!

I hope u are all just as excited for this release as we are

I'd be content with 4, but as in most cases, the more the better

Perhaps thats what you'll get

We had an interesting problem with the "Fanatic" unit for the Taliban though. Which reminds me, I need to get those two remaining rosters on the website.

Taliban roster uploaded.

Amazed.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

By the Taliban roster?

Thanks, that and the ANA roster are my personal brainchild's ANA roster coming soon. Heed the website descriptions for all factions, they should give you a clue on how we aim for these units to be used!

UK roster, Hross takes a lot of the credit, I had limited input on it.
    US roster, when its updated (It's being completely reworked), you can credit Farnan, Hross and myself

How is combat being implemented?

Modern day armies don't exactly march in Napoleonic columns.

Just curious.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

they don't ???????? OMFG We need to start from 0 again

no, we give all infantry the light infantry doctrine, and we advice everyone to use this, this will mean that units crouch and fire while crouched so abit more realistic

we also encourage people to move smartly, taliban suicide bombers will be devastating if you group your units to close, we can only advice people to do certain things to make this feel realistic, since we can't get to the code of empire

Alright.

Remembered Light Infantry Doctrine, just never really impressed by it. Better than nothing though.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpilot View Post

no, we give all infantry the light infantry doctrine, and we advice everyone to use this, this will mean that units crouch and fire while crouched so abit more realistic

we also encourage people to move smartly, taliban suicide bombers will be devastating if you group your units to close, we can only advice people to do certain things to make this feel realistic, since we can't get to the code of empire
    Does this mean that the general infantry will still be in line/trained formation unless using light infantry behaviour? Or will you be using the "mob formation" as well?

To the other person who's username i forgot:
    I'm sure increased unit spacings, hiding/sniping abilities, and the light infantry behaviour will work quite well in portraying modern combat in so far as is possible using the ETW engine, as well as the new maps which are probably made to fit the modern combat syle. In any case, I'd assume using old 18th century tactics will most likely get you killed, as in TGW and the WW2 mod.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

ow yes king sama explained perfectly

Other plans are also to increase unit spacing to make it feel more normal and I think we will use mob formation, we still need to further get into that stuff.

But hey, download the beta once it gets out and u can see for urself

Gah, ! And we tried so hard

The largest unit size so far is 20. Most units are between 4 and 16 men in size. Suicide bombers come in pairs, and they wiped out half a regular, much larger ETW unit! watch out for them, they are among the most powerful Insurgent units.

And as for IED's, mortars, heavy mortars, and improvised rocketry, well you've been warned. These units WILL be powerful, if they hit... It's not going to be easy for the ISAF. Yes ISAF troops will have generally a better range, vastly better accuracy and later CAS support, but Taliban units can hide anywhere until they fire or are spotted.

Some key points, at least, this is what we want to happen!

• Insurgent units are generally larger, faster, and can therefore get more firepower down initially. At least at close ranges, don't expect to win a firefight against ISAF units at mid to long range, nor expect to win a firefight against an ISAF unit if it drags out. Either get your support options and extra units into the fray, or pull back and lure them into an RPG strike!
    • ISAF units are more accurate and can engage at further ranges.
    • Its a cat and mouse game really, ISAF need to engage the Insurgents as far away as possible, Insurgents as close as possible.
    • Insurgent players will need to distract ISAF units with the longer ranged machine gun teams, lure them into an RPG ambush, or better, an IED or in range of the mortars. Keep an eye on that CAS and artillery though (when its added)
    • Some ISAF and ANA units will have a very long LOS, and will spot enemy units, not many though. But insurgent players should expect or presume many of their units to be spotted around 200 to 500 metres out.
    • Both Insurgent and ANA units will hopefully be immune to terrain and weather impacts.
    • Each faction will have some hidden units, but all Insurgent units will be able to hide until they fire.
    • ISAF artillery will be accurate and deadly, but slow to fire. (M119, 6 rpm, all map 11000 metre range)
    • Insurgent artillery will be fast firing, shorter ranged and less accurate, plus it can hopefully move and hide hide! (PM-37, 25rpm, 4000 metre range)
    • Each faction will have an HMG, powerful at extremely long ranges. But watch out for the Insurgent KPV 14.5mm in particular!
    • Western GMG's will not reach their full potential as units until we get vehicles into the game.
    • The AGS-17 is brutal against infantry, more so than ISAF GMG's.
    • ISAF will have some extremely fast, short ranged units which will devastate below 100 metres, (UKSF Assault for example) use them for urban centres people.
    • Watch your units ammunition, combat loads will be as accurate as possible.
    • Following on from this, some Insurgent units, such as ambush gunmen, are designed to be lost! They will not carry more than 60 rounds of ammo for those AKM's!
    • Other units, especially ISAF units, will be hard to kill, either through body armour (ISAF) or through drug use (Al Qaeda)
    • Watch out when fighting the British, the Para's and Gurkhas will have a formidable melee charge!
    • Keep an eye on the ISAF and ANA special forces units, or dedicated pathfinder units. They can hide, and are intend to sneak around finding insurgent units and engaging at long range.
    • Snipers, in all factions, fricken deadly.
    • If we can get it working, the ANA 23mm cannon, watch for it.
    • Different factions play differently, the Taliban need to get close or use unorthodox weapons to initiate ambush. British units will fire single shots in general, with great accuracy, US units will have greater fire-power, but not be as accurate or as long ranged generally, and the ANA, a cross between them all really.
    • Like that building your using as cover? Holing up behind a wall? Pray a "fanatics" unit, "UKSF Assault" team, or enemy artillery doesn't get wind of your position.
    • Hand grenades and UGL's...the ISAF's RPG.
    • ISAF rocket teams are primarily for engaging, and therefore strong against vehicles (when added), buildings and artillery and weak against infantry. Insurgent RPG's are competent against all 3, yet strong against none. However, a well placed ISAF javelin missile at 2000 metres could really mess up that Chechen MG team of yours.
    • When vehicles are added, the Insurgents will get a dedicated rocket unit.

Once beta is out, I would appreciate some gameplay footage. Thanks .
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticx View Post
    USA. We were very unprepared for a war .
    Yep, on D-Day in Iraq, we launched over 500,000 pikemen to capture the flag which Rome was holding. Didn't go so well for us but those Spartans didn't win by much with there muskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Rome is not in Iraq...or did I miss something...

why gameplay footage while u can play it yourself or you don't have empire?

Anyway, not sure if we will have gameplay footage since we didn't add skins or models yet, however expect some footage of some of the more special units like rpg teams

why gameplay footage while u can play it yourself or you don't have empire?

Anyway, not sure if we will have gameplay footage since we didn't add skins or models yet, however expect some footage of some of the more special units like rpg teams
    Do you guys have any footage currently? I am not worried about models or skins, I just want to see what actual gameplay is like.

And no, I do not have ETW but might pick it up for this mod.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Acousticx View Post
    USA. We were very unprepared for a war .
    Yep, on D-Day in Iraq, we launched over 500,000 pikemen to capture the flag which Rome was holding. Didn't go so well for us but those Spartans didn't win by much with there muskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey Fresh Werewolf View Post
    Rome is not in Iraq...or did I miss something...

Although this is probably gona sound a lil' nit pickey, if it's not too much trouble for the final version. Could you guys reskin the US guys to have the new Multicam. And how're the howitzer's gonna work? Like real life, or is that rather impossible without engine codes or something?

Okay, I missed the US roster where at the bottom it said the Artillery will be off map.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialGermany View Post
    Although this is probably gona sound a lil' nit pickey, if it's not too much trouble for the final version. Could you guys reskin the US guys to have the new Multicam. And how're the howitzer's gonna work? Like real life, or is that rather impossible without engine codes or something?
    We're still far away from a final version I think

A beta will be coming soon! and we have some new cool stuff like mortars and HMG's in it!
    Beta will contain:
    • 4 infantry units for 3 factions ( Taliban, ANA & British)
    • Taliban fanatic unit MIGHT be in
    • HMG's for all factions
    • Mortars for all factions
    • 2 Maps (Kajaki dam & Sangin city siege)
    • ANA flag is in, taliban and british flag is being made
    • New battle ui! it is not yet completely finished but it will be in!
    • New loading screens!
    • New quotes!
    • New main menu them will be in (this song has been customly made!)
    • New Victory and Defeat music themes
    • Maybe RPG team will be in

I hope u guys like this list Soon after release you can expect new releases which will add new units for the 3 factions and you can expect the US faction soon!