View Poll Results: What factions would you like to see in the next MAJOR release.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, France

18 26.87%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, Germany

39 58.21%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 1) Faction 1, Poland

4 5.97%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 2) Faction 2, Denmark

24 35.82%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 2) Faction 2, Romania

14 20.90%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 3) Faction 3, Benelux

17 25.37%
  • (Choose 1 for faction 3) Faction 3, Australia & NZ

31 46.27%
  • (Choose 1 for insurgent) Insurgent, Haqqani Network

20 29.85%
  • (Choose 1 for insurgent) Insurgent, Lakshar-e-Taiba

16 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Advance to Contact:- 0.5.1 Beta released. Poll to choose the next 4 factions!

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- The custom battlemod modern warfare series replacing NAW!

I can confirm all the above is true

Americans among you, do not fret, the US WILL be in the game. I can promise that, we have a little disagreement with the roster, but when that's sorted, they'll be patched in!

We are looking for a new mapper, is anyone interested?

He/she must be:

1. Active
    2. Willing to be trained in ETW mapping, we can and will train you
    3. Be willing to work to flexible deadlines, but deadlines nonetheless
    4. Must be active on the dev forum at all times

Thank you.

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- Beta release announced!

Yah so I heard it on the grapevine, apparently the beta is in its final stages or something like that , don't know if that's of value to you guys, Needs testing of course, maybe i'll be cruel and keep it for my personal use

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- The custom battlemod modern warfare series replacing NAW!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpilot View Post
    it would need to become like the submachine gunners of tgw but like 3 rounds, waiting time, 3 rounds, waiting time. Offcourse it depends on which type of weapon I'm guessing, we can also make them fire fully automatic, but in war most soldiers use bursts (I think)
    I'm not sure if this has been said before, but soldiers are trained to fire on semi-automatic because it:

1) uses less ammunition
    2) conserves accuracy
    Last edited by Ch4lk; November 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

This is especially true of the British army, however, machine guns and the like are used in automatic settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    This is especially true of the British army, however, machine guns and the like are used in automatic settings.
    True, automatic rifleman are trained to fire in bursts and fully automatic depending on range, situation (e.g., deadly accurate fire - bursts / rapid, suppressive fire, meant to keep heads down - fully automatic)

Not sure if that's even possible on the ETW engine since I'm not exactly a modder
    Last edited by Ch4lk; November 28, 2010 at 04:14 PM.

We'll do our best.

We do have a slight issue with Insurgent forces. As you all know, we want all our Taliban units to be able to hide at all times unless firing, this is their greatest strength. but the first unit will be counted as a general and will be visible to ISAF forces at all times.

We are working on a way to get around this, but if we can't, I do have a solution. There may be a small Taliban cavalry unit called "Taliban Overseer". This, in effect will be the general, and something everyone should choose as their first unit. If added, it will be a very fast, but weak 7 man unit similar to the French pistol armed cavalry already in game but with double or triple the hit points. Considering ISAF forces often raid to capture Insurgent officials, knowing their location will not be an issue.

Guys, this mod is going to be great And as far as I know, the only 1900+ mod for ETW.

Maybe some more in-game screens or videos would be nice?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Hehe I can't see why not!

(hinty hinty latest dev post/question)

I am excited to see an interest in the current conflict and hope to see this mod come to fruition, but I have a few qualms that hopefully have been addressed already as I did not have time to read the entire thread. First, in the first post a US Marine model is posted with a picture of a soldier in ACU (Army Combat Uniform) digital cammies, the Marines wear MARPAT (Marine Pattern) which comes in desert or woodland digital and is actually a proud distinction we have. I also saw on the website in a quick glance that Marine infantry units will be given M60s. Yes our gear is not the newest but at that time we no longer used the M60 but instead used the M240B to an extent but also the M240G for a machine gun attachment from a weapons platoon. A regular infantry squad will have the M249, with each fire team having its own M249 so 3 total for a no kidding task and equipment organized squad of 13. We also fire the M16A2/M16A4/M4A1 on single and do not usually use burst and automatic weapons, despite being full auto, are fired in 3-5 round bursts. Also, Artillery Marines should have M16s or M4s as they definitely do not carry the SMG listed in the unit roster. Lastly, on the site it says Marine Officers carry M4s because every man is a rifleman. The phrase is "every Marine is a rifleman." If I spot anything else I will post here if you would like additional authenticity. Good luck and if you have any USMC or US military related inquires feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by -Menace-; December 01, 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Some class A input there, thanking you.

Firstly, you can expect our beta very soon.

Secondly, we are aware of the camo bloop! But its not something we have to worry about for now. Our first release will unfortunately not have skins or models.
    Thirdly, the M60 was chosen to make the marine units different from the army units. We wanted to avoid clones! We had the E3 variant picked out. If this does prove unpopular, we will change them to the M240. It is worth noting the US roster is being reworked. There are also issues with the number of machine guns we can give to a unit.

We will endeavour to represent burst firing the best we can, following this information (if I could have a source just to sweeten it it would be nice ) I'll see about making marine units similar to British units in terms of fire methods. The SMG, again is aesthetic, something different to look at. And thanks for the correction on the phrase, I will get right too it.

Any more information, suggestions and feedback will be very very much appreciated.

We have a few problems with the localisation, we aim to resolve this by next week.

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

I am glad to announce that the problems with the localisation have been fixed and the beta will enter testing this week. Expect release in 1-2 weeks.

^ Confirmed!

The Beta includes...

• 13 infantry units (4 for the 3 factions, United Kingdom, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, and Taliban Insurgency + the suicide bomber "fanatic unit" for the Insurgents)
    • Grenade Machine Guns, Heavy Machine Guns, and mortars for all 3 factions
    • Unit portraits for the UK infantry
    • 2 custom maps (not completely finished & deployment zones are not yet finalised)
    • Custom made main menu music
    • Custom battle UI (work in progress)
    • Custom loading screens and quotes

After the beta we will work on...

• The remaining units for each of the factions
    • Patching in American units, Yes Americans, do not worry, American forces are on their way!!!
    • RPG and other infantry rocket units
    • Working on Artillery
    • "Overseer" general unit for Insurgent factions
    • Custom weapon models
    • Artillery & Rocketry
    • Unit skins & models
    • More custom maps, both real historical battles and scenario battles ( We really need another mapper, volunteers will be trained )
    • Finalising the next 4 factions and their rosters!

And to reiterate...

The largest unit size so far is 20. Most units are between 4 and 16 men in size. Suicide bombers come in pairs, and they wiped out half a regular, much larger ETW unit! watch out for them, they are among the most powerful Insurgent units.

And as for IED's, mortars, heavy mortars, and improvised rocketry, well you've been warned. These units WILL be powerful, if they hit... It's not going to be easy for the ISAF. Yes ISAF troops will have generally a better range, vastly better accuracy and later CAS support, but Taliban units can hide anywhere until they fire or are spotted.

Some key points, at least, this is what we want to happen!

• Insurgent units are generally larger, faster, and can therefore get more firepower down initially. At least at close ranges, don't expect to win a firefight against ISAF units at mid to long range, nor expect to win a firefight against an ISAF unit if it drags out. Either get your support options and extra units into the fray, or pull back and lure them into an RPG strike!
    • ISAF units are more accurate and can engage at further ranges.
    • Its a cat and mouse game really, ISAF need to engage the Insurgents as far away as possible, Insurgents as close as possible.
    • Insurgent players will need to distract ISAF units with the longer ranged machine gun teams, lure them into an RPG ambush, or better, an IED or in range of the mortars. Keep an eye on that CAS and artillery though (when its added)
    • Some ISAF and ANA units will have a very long LOS, and will spot enemy units, not many though. But insurgent players should expect or presume many of their units to be spotted around 200 to 500 metres out.
    • Both Insurgent and ANA units will hopefully be immune to terrain and weather impacts.
    • Each faction will have some hidden units, but all Insurgent units will be able to hide until they fire.
    • ISAF artillery will be accurate and deadly, but slow to fire. (M119, 6 rpm, all map 11000 metre range)
    • Insurgent artillery will be fast firing, shorter ranged and less accurate, plus it can hopefully move and hide hide! (PM-37, 25rpm, 4000 metre range)
    • Each faction will have an HMG, powerful at extremely long ranges. But watch out for the Insurgent KPV 14.5mm in particular!
    • Western GMG's will not reach their full potential as units until we get vehicles into the game.
    • The AGS-17 is brutal against infantry, more so than ISAF GMG's.
    • ISAF will have some extremely fast, short ranged units which will devastate below 100 metres, (UKSF Assault for example) use them for urban centres people.
    • Watch your units ammunition, combat loads will be as accurate as possible.
    • Following on from this, some Insurgent units, such as ambush gunmen, are designed to be lost! They will not carry more than 60 rounds of ammo for those AKM's!
    • Other units, especially ISAF units, will be hard to kill, either through body armour (ISAF) or through drug use (Al Qaeda)
    • Watch out when fighting the British, the Para's and Gurkhas will have a formidable melee charge!
    • Keep an eye on the ISAF and ANA special forces units, or dedicated pathfinder units. They can hide, and are intend to sneak around finding insurgent units and engaging at long range.
    • Snipers, in all factions, fricken deadly.
    • If we can get it working, the ANA 23mm cannon, watch for it.
    • Different factions play differently, the Taliban need to get close or use unorthodox weapons to initiate ambush. British units will fire single shots in general, with great accuracy, US units will have greater fire-power, but not be as accurate or as long ranged generally, and the ANA, a cross between them all really.
    • Like that building your using as cover? Holing up behind a wall? Pray a "fanatics" unit, "UKSF Assault" team, or enemy artillery doesn't get wind of your position.
    • Hand grenades and UGL's...the ISAF's RPG.
    • ISAF rocket teams are primarily for engaging, and therefore strong against vehicles (when added), buildings and artillery and weak against infantry. Insurgent RPG's are competent against all 3, yet strong against none. However, a well placed ISAF javelin missile at 2000 metres could really mess up that Chechen MG team of yours.
    • When vehicles are added, the Insurgents will get a dedicated rocket unit.
    Project Millennium Beta Credits...

The Leadership Team

• Darkhorse
    • Hross

The Research Team

• Head of Research:
      • Darkhorse

• Content Team:
      • Darkhorse
        • GeneralL

• Avion365
        • SeawolfRN

• Advisors:
      • Hross
      • Farnan

Graphics and Aesthetics

• 2D Art, inc unit cards, battle UI, loading screens, background images and signatures.
      • Luigi/Grimbold

• Visuals
      • Aanker

Sound and Video

• Alba gu Brath

Scripting

• Falconpilot
    • Aanker

Unit making

• Falconpilot
    • Aanker
    • King Sama

Installer

• Sean Cappone

Mapping

• Falconpilot

Media and Publicity

• External Website
      • Darkhorse

• New Public thread
      • Darkhorse

With thanks too...

• Farnan
    • A Company Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
    • University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
    • TWCenter modding services

madrush's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Advance to Contact:- Beta release in testing!

can we get some ingame screenies with units in action?

once we start internal testing (we are waiting for the installer) we will make screens and movies of the units and the battle ui, unit portraits, etc.

You can expect regular updates during this or next week.

Finally a release! This is exciting lol.

And don't forget me under "unit making"
    ()
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Finally a release! This is exciting lol.

And don't forget me under "unit making"
    ()
    And don't forget he's under localization to

I did that part right! grr you!!!

Any more information, suggestions and feedback will be very very much appreciated.
    Ask and you shall receive. This is a link to the Marine Corps order on the combat marksmanship program which, namely pages 71 and 91, show the break down of the qualification and shows that everything is done in semi auto in single shot and pairs.

On your website it states that the US Army was founded in 1784, which is true of the modern Army but The Continental Army was created on 14 June 1775. The modern Marine Corps though was established in Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 10 Nov 1775. I am not trying to suggest that one is necessarily older than the other, but that both pre-date the 1784 year listed.

I would also recommend small units of supporting arms be added to the rosters. For instance, a 3 man section with a medium or heavy machine gun, gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo man that can be used to support a line unit instead of placing medium machine guns within the squad. This way the medium machine guns can be used to support the grunts from a building or elevated position and you do not lose the support by fire capability of the weapon system by making it pick up and move with the squad. Additionally you could have artillery forward observer teams with an FO, scout, and radio operator, or a fire support team of Artillery FO, scout, RO, FAC, mortar FO, and FiST leader instead of placing fire supporters within the squads themselves as in real life these units are attachments and this would better represent their role.

Thats all for now, will post more later.

Looking forward to the release.
    Last edited by -Menace-; December 06, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC-shifty- View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. This is a link to the Marine Corps order on the combat marksmanship program which, namely pages 71 and 91, show the break down of the qualification and shows that everything is done in semi auto in single shot and pairs.
    Marine Corps accuracy is something we will address

On your website it states that the US Army was founded in 1784, which is true of the modern Army but The Continental Army was created on 14 June 1775. The modern Marine Corps though was established in Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 10 Nov 1775. I am not trying to suggest that one is necessarily older than the other, but that both pre-date the 1784 year listed.
    We felt the modern army date would be better suited as America was an independent nation by then. The Marine AUPP will have a separate description. For now, a few US marine units will be in US Army roster as a temporary solution. If the description needs reviewing, it will be done!

I would also recommend small units of supporting arms be added to the rosters. For instance, a 3 man section with a medium or heavy machine gun, gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo man that can be used to support a line unit instead of placing medium machine guns within the squad. This way the medium machine guns can be used to support the grunts from a building or elevated position and you do not lose the support by fire capability of the weapon system by making it pick up and move with the squad.
    Other than LMG and SAW's, all support arms are already in separate units. Machine gun units are generally in pairs or threes. Hopefully, they'll be able to deploy defences too!

Additionally you could have artillery forward observer teams with an FO, scout, and radio operator, or a fire support team of Artillery FO, scout, RO, FAC, mortar FO, and FiST leader instead of placing fire supporters within the squads themselves as in real life these units are attachments and this would better represent their role.
    Interesting concept, one that has been suggested for the US before. The US roster is under rework and we are looking at FIST teams, perhaps to have the most powerful CAS and IDF options. It depends what we can do with off map support, we'd like to represent many kinds of CAS and IDF abilitys from strafing runs up to 500lb bombs for aesthetic purposes. We don't yet what we can do with this, so we decided for FAC capable units such as special forces and the odd regular unit, to each have their own CAS/IDF attack. Although this is unrealistic, it is the best current way, if at all, to get a broad range of CAS and IDF attacks in game. Whereas, if we use a FIST team, we may be stuck with a single type of CAS!

On a side note, balance is a serious issue. We need to makle sure these support options are not too powerful! As with CAS, hopefully vehicles in the future, and the current advantages for the ISAF powers, it might be realistic, but overpowering for the insurgent factions!

Thats all for now, will post more later.

Looking forward to the release.
    Thanking you!