Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, That's Annoying

Default Well, That's Annoying

So I've been playing a Roman campaign and after maybe 30 turns, I've noticed something really annoying. The AI expands mercilessly and unrealistically. I was having an enjoyable and realistic war against Carthage, I had destroyed Macedon mostly and forced them to surrender. It was seeming fine. Then, in the course of three turns, everyone just attacked me at the same time.

1. My allies, the Greeks, attacked me. I was OK with this, I wanted to take some of their cities anyways.
    2. Macedon. This one makes no sense, I destroyed them easily last time yet somehow they're back with four or five armies. I make them peace out for a lot of money, and they attack me instantly the next turn.
    3. At this point, I peace out with Carthage for a large sum of money figuring I had taken all of Spain and needn't kill them anymore. They immediately attack me the next turn. Wth? No binding agreements? XD
    4. The Galacians, who have united Spain.

At this point, I'm about to give up. I don't want to fight four fronts against enemies that wont give in until I take their last city. I know this might be the difficulty, but what difficult does it have to be for a slower paced game? :\

I really don't want to restart the game after spending so much on this one, but I don't want to deal with endless wars on all sides.
    Last edited by Zuka; September 10, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

mattgoby's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Well, That's Annoying

i played on m/m for my first campaign as rome and it appeared to be fairly balanced although i am now playing on h/h as macedon and the ai is abt over aggresive
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

"us british our world war champions of the world"-AL MURRAY

Hmm its wierd you say this i always thought it was fun and i always found it enjoyable when i had 4 fronts.

I suppose players are different but we always strived to make it difficult, maybe taking the difficulty down will help your cause and playing 1 turn might be a good idea also, you may be use to 1 turn gameplay and as a result of 0 turn stacks quickly come up against you, in all honesty the diplomacy with peace i have always found was a problem with every mod and just rome itself i think it is totally normal to be honest.

Had to stop my macedon campaign. Eliminated Sparta, and took all greek settlements from the greeks. Wanted to fight a war to destroy Pergamon.
    Rome, Dacia, Scythia, Boii and finally Ptolemians attacked me. Was too much had no people left in my settlements to do anything.

Stupid Rome AI, just attack if you border them. But in RSII it so much more annoying because of the large distances armies can travel in one round. Makes the weakness of romes AI even greater. Nothing we could do against the stupid AI

Was too much had no people left in my settlements to do anything
    Thats what its like in my macedon campaign when i capture a roman settlement a place like capua has only got 3k people in it. Mainly as i have high experience stacks which take ver little damage whilst destroying the roman stacks.
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

Many people mix up "difficult" and "tedius".

Fighting waves after waves of copycats fullstacks is not difficult since teh AI cannot win a battle on equal terms, it's tedious because you have to autoresolve everything and it simply takes out the fun out of the game.

xXEsotericXx's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Zuka View Post
    So I've been playing a Roman campaign and after maybe 30 turns, I've noticed something really annoying. The AI expands mercilessly and unrealistically. I was having an enjoyable and realistic war against Carthage, I had destroyed Macedon mostly and forced them to surrender. It was seeming fine. Then, in the course of three turns, everyone just attacked me at the same time.

1. My allies, the Greeks, attacked me. I was OK with this, I wanted to take some of their cities anyways.
    2. Macedon. This one makes no sense, I destroyed them easily last time yet somehow they're back with four or five armies. I make them peace out for a lot of money, and they attack me instantly the next turn.
    3. At this point, I peace out with Carthage for a large sum of money figuring I had taken all of Spain and needn't kill them anymore. They immediately attack me the next turn. Wth? No binding agreements? XD

At this point, I'm about to give up. I don't want to fight four fronts against enemies that wont give in until I take their last city. I know this might be the difficulty, but what difficult does it have to be for a slower paced game? :\

I really don't want to restart the game after spending so much on this one, but I don't want to deal with endless wars on all sides.

ROME TOTAL WAR ...... TOTAL ...WAR?!?
    "I think left but i write extreem right"
    - Esoteric -

:

And sometimes get so P***ed off you auto_win attacker/defender as the auto resolve doesnt work very well

I understand your problems but i usually use tactics especially against factions like rome. I once played as sparta and macedonia and in both cases i did a major assault with 5-10 stacks and took italy within 5 turns. I did the same when moving on carthage with rome. You can just send in one stack and then another in this game you must use tactics and destroy a factions economy.

Multiple assaults in one turn are far more effective then just take one settlement then another and another and so on in my eyes

Also what stages time in the campaign are you up to? You shouldnt blitz or rush you have this problems. I have fought many wars against many stacks against many factions this is how the game works, if you dont enjoy it oh well play something else however this is how the game works.

Quote Originally Posted by xXEsotericXx View Post

Yeah I get it, but Total War in a Total War game is tedious, not fun or destructive.

I guess the buzz word here is tedium. Tedium tedium tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuka View Post

You should see what happens when you play the game at H/VH.They just keep coming

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

At some point in any campaign all the AI factions will gang up on the strongest factoin and have an all out war.

With RTW expect to go to war with a faction if;

1) Either you or they take a region and you now have adjoing borders
    2) Either you or they take a region and you now have another region border

You need to watch the diplomacy scroll that comes down the left hand side of the screen. Quite often I will have a ceasefire with a faction, they will become allies with one of your existng allies and eventually you will be at war with them - quite often both.

If you expect the AI to sit back and be taken out one at a time then you're mistaken. The AI is going to try and win the game even if that does mean taking on a superpower.

Some factions will always be at war and if you get a ceasefire it's just that - expect to go to war with them again at some stage.

So, with that in mind try and fight a war with only one front but expect to beengaged on multiple fronts - especially if you no longer have the rebels between your factions.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Yep RS2 is Total War... LOL I fighting 5 factions right now, possibly six some time soon. Just Got a new boarder with a new faction, but have not seen them yet... Have three full stacks at that boarder just waiting for the AI to bring those forces into play.

Citizen

The other thing you can do in order to postpone a war is to hold several full stacks near the shared border.

Quite often you can see the AI move an army near the border (I build watchtowers like crazy so there is no hiding place inside my empire but to also see as much of the surrounding area as possible) and then move it away after it's 'seen' you have armies there. It may well approach the border from a different direction.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Within View Post
    Hmm its wierd you say this i always thought it was fun and i always found it enjoyable when i had 4 fronts.

I suppose players are different but we always strived to make it difficult, maybe taking the difficulty down will help your cause and playing 1 turn might be a good idea also, you may be use to 1 turn gameplay and as a result of 0 turn stacks quickly come up against you, in all honesty the diplomacy with peace i have always found was a problem with every mod and just rome itself i think it is totally normal to be honest.
    In pretty much any strategy game with a diplomacy model, it's safest to assume you're at war with everyone regardless of any treaties. That said, in my current Rome game, aside from Carthage and Macedon everyone is at peace with me (the others Rome starts at war with asked for peace ), and those two seem more focused on Free People cities to bother me. The Free People on the other hand... So many black stacks

Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Barbarossa View Post
    Was too much had no people left in my settlements to do anything.
    I've found that getting the population increase buildings works wonders (and they increase tax to boot! ). Most of my cities can now replace my combat losses and still increase their population at a reasonable rate.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The fact that your considering giving up because they are going to destroy you makes me feel that this mod has accomplished its goal, i have never been ass kicked by the AI so soundly in RTW, Playing as the gauls.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    The fact that your considering giving up because they are going to destroy you makes me feel that this mod has accomplished its goal, i have never been ass kicked by the AI so soundly in RTW, Playing as the gauls.
    Is that the Avenri or the Belgae?

I think the Averni are under pressure from the Romans to the south and the Gallaeci will probably do sea borne invasions as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by xXEsotericXx View Post

If it's Total War, why in the Hell did they bother making a diplomat and a screen for making treaties? At least in MTW, you could have allies to count on that didn't attack you just because they were metagaming and knew you were the human player.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is that the Avenri or the Belgae?

I think the Averni are under pressure from the Romans to the south and the Gallaeci will probably do sea borne invasions as well.....
    Arverni, i feel like vercingetorix at the seige of Alesia, Utter dismay.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator of rome View Post
    If it's Total War, why in the Hell did they bother making a diplomat and a screen for making treaties? At least in MTW, you could have allies to count on that didn't attack you just because they were metagaming and knew you were the human player.
    I mainly use the diplomat to get trade treaties with as many factions (all) as possible at the start of a campaign.

If I go to war and the AI offer a ceasefire which I accept I will also request trade with them.

I honestly don't expect anything from my allies - (even if I prop them up) apart from at some stage that I will be at war with them.

Diplomacy is flawed but 'it is what it is'. Some people use the 'force diplomacy' option but I think that is open to abuse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast