Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Archived - Shogun 2 Information - Exclusive content by GrnEyedDvl

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Archived - Shogun 2 Information - Exclusive content by GrnEyedDvl

Last week I was able to take a look at some of the features of Shogun 2, and ask a few questions of Kieran from CA. Some of this has already been mentioned in a few other places. I should also note that the game is still early in its development process, this was not an extended play session like the last time when they invited me to take a look at NTW. It was a show and tell session where they showed off some of the new features and answered a few questions. Some of these screen shots you have seen posted on other sites, some of them you havent.

Sea Battles
    Sea battles are handled differently than they are on NTW. The first thing is that you can actually use the coastline and sail up rivers and inlets during battle. They are also somewhat tied into land battles, now you can fight a sea battle and then if you win immediately land your troops and fight a land battle. No more waiting an extra turn to get into the land battle. I am not sure if that has been specifically mentioned before yet or not, but its pretty cool. The way the water looks has also been redone. Its hard to tell from screen shots and lo-res videos, but it looks great in game.

Land Battles
    The GUI for battles has been reworked, and I understand its still a work in progress. Its a lot cleaner now, and takes up a lot less space on the screen. In the shot below notice the round generals icon on the bottom left. Clicking that extends or contracts the unit bar. It rolls up inside the generals control bar kind of like a ticker tape so its completely out of the way. The radar map and unit info cards have been changed as well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You will also notice that this is a night battle in the rain. You can actually see the rain hit individual soldiers and then move and shimmer down their body. The water system has been completely reworked and is much more realistic, as has the light system for torches. In addition the other elements on the battle screen such as trees and bushes have been changed, they are now fully rendered 3D models.

Another cool feature is the ability to look from an individual soldiers eyes on the battlefield. In other TW games you can zoom down until you are right over the unit, but now you can actually look out the eyes of a soldier, and switch soldiers by using the mouse wheel. If you have your unit spread out in a big line, you can go all the way down the line and see what each individual soldier sees, including the back of their horses head.

Ninja and hero units have been discussed before as well, but I will throw out a few things. Ninja units can be moved around the entire permiter of the battle without beeing seen, and only when they actually engage will the enemy know they are there. Kieran and I talked about the hero units for a while, and he told me that they are pretty task specific. They are designed to be used against specific unit types, and will do well against those units, but not well at all against other unit types.

The battle AI has been changed, and will be changed even more as they test things. As I said earlier its still early in the development process and things are still being worked on.

For more of an RPG element to the game, you can now choose a path for your generals and have a bit more control over how they develope rather than the old Vices and Virtues system. I dont have any shots of this.

Generals speeches are back, and in a big way. There are now a lot more variables that go into how a speech is written and what comes out in game.

Campaign Map
    As you might have seen in some of the magazine articles, there is once again a 2D element to the campaign map. The Fog of War is now in 2D and looks like an old map, the part of the world that you actually have knowledge of is rendered in 3D. It actually looks pretty cool. The GUI on the campaign side has been completely reworked as well, and again is still under development.

Below are most of the screen shots I have. When I get more I will post more.

Enjoy.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Shogun 2 Information

This is some of the concept art. Again some of these have been posted on other sites.

Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; September 10, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Reserved 2

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

I am very much interested in the campaign map looks it just feels like im going back in time to shogun somehow reading the whole of your article has almost made me cry truthfully shogun was my favourite RTS of all time and still is i honestly thanks you for this effort.

Land battles seem more vibrant although they are still in beta version generals speeches should be great lets see what CA can do.

Sea battles cant really summarize TBH lets hope more videos come out to show some real sea battles.

Again i appreciate your post it was a great read and im very thankful.

YD23's Avatar Cторожевая Cобака.

Looks good, thanks.

Great. There goes my life
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Shogun 2 Information - Exclusive content by GrnEyedDvl

I like how they worked the campaign map.

Many thanks

the unit cards...are concept art? not unit render?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I dont know if those unit cards are final versions or not. I do know that the general isnt finalized.

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Fantastic Preview, many thanks. One small note, the ability to see through individual soldiers eyes has been a feature since ETW- as discovered in the demo by pressing insert when selecting a unit. Forgive me if this feature has been changed or somehow upgraded and thats what you mean.

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

I love the unit cards the way they have them right now, it looks cool to me.

Oh, bloody hell. I convinced myself not to get hyped for this game... You've ruined that. >_<

THEMIK DK's Avatar Senator

great thread!

A 1500-1680 Total War FTW!!!

N3rull's Avatar Semisalis

I personally liked the "look through soldier's eyes idea". Will make for a more immensive experience IMO. Nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Another cool feature is the ability to look from an individual soldiers eyes on the battlefield. In other TW games you can zoom down until you are right over the unit, but now you can actually look out the eyes of a soldier, and switch soldiers by using the mouse wheel. If you have your unit spread out in a big line, you can go all the way down the line and see what each individual soldier sees, including the back of their horses head.
    It sounds amazing, but this confuses me. What's different about this than pressing insert in Nappy?

(if you're wondering, yes I did read it before hence my earlier post, but I just re-read it and this stuck out )
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

totalwar-zone's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    It sounds amazing, but this confuses me. What's different about this than pressing insert in Nappy?

(if you're wondering, yes I did read it before hence my earlier post, but I just re-read it and this stuck out )

The different ist easy. in Shogun 2 you can look around with the soldier, in Napoleon or Empire you only can look at the Front

So n Shogun 2 you can look at the left or the right of the Soldier (and see the Battle Line), at your feets or in the Sky, maybe in the other direction so you can see what happened behind you.
    Last edited by totalwar-zone; September 12, 2010 at 09:53 AM.

D|major's Avatar the key of glory

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar-zone View Post
    The different ist easy. in Shogun 2 you can look around with the soldier, in Napoleon or Empire you only can look at the Front

So n Shogun 2 you can look at the left or the right of the Soldier (and see the Battle Line), at your feets or in the Sky, maybe in the other direction so you can see what happened behind you.
    Are you sure? for me, GED's explanation sound's exactly like what we've been able to do in ETW already...
    formerly known as D|need
    m2tw cinematic editor tutorials as video and thread | my total war videos
    the picture of the week subforum with great artworks | my pics and vids gallery
    under the patronage of b. ward

Mr. Bundy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by totalwar-zone View Post

i think that ca really thought about this, how to optimize the "unit-view" to say, maybe it could be possible to give orders from the units eyes,

anyway i can't wait to see the typical fail for marching towards the enemy and get owned by their arrows (from the units-view)

Campidoctor

Cheers for the info GED, looks really nice.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast