Thread: The harsh/cruel/heartless ruler trait

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Default The harsh/cruel/heartless ruler trait

I don't understand the requirements to earning this trait. In my Seleucid Campaign practically everyone of my city governors (the ones I don't use for battle) get it. What really perplexes me is I usually give reasonably low taxes and always try to get public happiness buildings up first and practically all my govs have an "unstinting" trait for it.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

Default Re: The harsh/cruel/heartless ruler trait

I have a feeling that if your faction leader isnt very good your family members/general/governors will inherit some bad traits from him to depict his crappy rule. Myabe you should try getting rid of your faction leader.

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

Same thing here. Think it has to do with tax levels aka your heartless if they are at anything but low.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

My faction leader doesn't have the trait, it could be because he doesn't do city management. The heir is doesn't have it either.
    I usually just tax cities up to normal, I'd under I won't to be popular if I tax some cities high so some of my govs ought earn it but almost all my governors?
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

Quote Originally Posted by NightEye View Post
    My faction leader doesn't have the trait, it could be because he doesn't do city management. The heir is doesn't have it either.
    I usually just tax cities up to normal, I'd under I won't to be popular if I tax some cities high so some of my govs ought earn it but almost all my governors?
    No, if you have a bad faction leader, i think your governors will just get bad traits, not inherit that specific trait, but i could be wrong.

this trigger (seleucid campaign) is strange basically any thing above blue face combined with low or normal tax does it
    Trigger governing19
    WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted

Condition GovernorLoyaltyLevel > loyalty_disillusioned
    and GovernorTaxLevel < tax_high

Affects HarshRuler 1 Chance 15

mattgoby's Avatar Campidoctor

Rather knowledgeable ther Tsim +rep put any actuall text from the game like that in a quote mark which should make it easier to read
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

"us british our world war champions of the world"-AL MURRAY

Silius Saurus's Avatar Biarchus

I've had to go into the text files and modify the entry for this trait because all my best generals get it for attacking enemy cities.
    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly". -- Nick Lappos

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

I've had taxes set to high in every of my Seleucid campaigns and only rarely did my governors get it... I guess you need to build a lot of law bonus buildings which reduce corruption.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Basiliscus View Post
    I've had taxes set to high in every of my Seleucid campaigns and only rarely did my governors get it... I guess you need to build a lot of law bonus buildings which reduce corruption.
    You 100% sure ?...Iam convinced its the law temples and law bonuses which reduce corruption

I get it seemingly every time a general takes an enemy city; whether I enslave or not. I have had several generals with "heartless ruler" and "benign ruler" at the same time.

It's ridiculous.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    You 100% sure ?...Iam convinced its the law temples and law bonuses which reduce corruption
    Well yes... I meant buildings that give law bonuses like Temples to Athena and Zeus, Academy etc

I could be wrong, but I have noticed that if you set the taxes on low the governor more times than not, gets that trait.

@Silius Saurus:
    It seems rather strange that this happens to you. My current heir has the trait bloody; I have decimated a few cities with him. Still he has benign ruler trait. The same with my faction ruler. Of course I am playing with Rome, so there may be some differences in the traits and how each faction named character receives them.

-CJM

Proud member of TFT.

I am playing as Rome- the faction leader is popular, though not a war hero. The vast majority of recruited generals start with the harsh trait, which sets them up to become harsh rulers, which leads to heartless, yadda yadda.

If any of my generals take more than a couple of cities, they are practically guaranteed the heartless ruler trait. I am at a loss. I try monkeying with the taxes but they all seem to get the trait eventually. I thought that there were antitraits, but that should mean that a benign gov. shouldn't get the heartless ruler trait, but it still happens.

EDIT -OK- so I checked the export_dsr_charactertraits.txt file and sure enough, it shows a significant chance when a gen'l takes a city and enslaves, there is a significant chance that he gets the harsh ruler trait, which, is flawed. In the context of the period, enslaving a defeated pop. was common, and not nec. considered extreme by the standards of the day.
    Last edited by Silius Saurus; January 28, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsim View Post
    this trigger (seleucid campaign) is strange basically any thing above blue face combined with low or normal tax does it
    Trigger governing19
    WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted

Condition GovernorLoyaltyLevel > loyalty_disillusioned
    and GovernorTaxLevel < tax_high

Affects HarshRuler 1 Chance 15
    ^This.

I feel like this is the wrong way round, and just a typo?
    A governor who kept taxes high until the last possible moment before a riot ( ie. <= loyalty_disillusioned) should be considered harsh, not one who cuts taxes when he doesn't need to (> loyalty_disillusioned). The latter should perhaps make him a bad administrator, but not a heartless ruler.

Taxes for me are only low in regions that are newly conquered, where I haven't had a chance to build: then on top of the cultural unrest, I get a whole new wave of unrest when my frontline generals and governors get this trait.

So I edited it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I left the chances for depopulating and enslaving, though - that seemed fair enough.

I see in my current campaign that at least two gov's with the harsh trait that stayed in two different settlements where I deliberately kept taxes set at "medium" also became harsh rulers. One even became an appalling builder, even though he was building useful stuff constantly...