Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataphract-bloody-elephants?!

Default Cataphract-bloody-elephants?!

Playing as Pergamon and the Seleucid hordes (okay, just a stack or two) are just romping over me with cataphract elephants! Why not just give them an Abrams tank and have done with it? How do I stop these nasty brutes? Javelineers, slingers and archers seem powerless to deal with them and they stomp over phalanxes and hoplites like they're practically not there! What do i need, a unit of mice?
    "We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...."

Default Re: Cataphract-bloody-elephants?!

Flaming arrows. Job done.

I couldnt figure out how to stop them when the seleucids kept sieging my towns until i managed to get some archers into a town and just poured flaming arrows into them until they started running amok. Its scythed chariots i dont like, thye just go into the front of my phalanxes push everything out of formation and dont even die.

Give some artillery a try. Might be a good idea to try some Tarantine or other missile cavalry against them too. Give them the runaround while pelting them with javelins.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Go to the EDU and reduce their mass
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy O View Post
    Go to the EDU and reduce their mass
    That seems like cheating to me, they are relatively easy to take down with missile cav or flaming ammunition, so just use them.

Flaming ammunition + artillery; I havent faced elephants myself but Romans used Ballistas and made my elephants run amok(i was keeping them close to my battle line to scare enemy infantry luckily the elephants didnt charge into my battleline instead they killed 10 of my horsemen before i could react which isnt a problem as long as i dont have to sacrifice my elephants.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nah, too expensive for their worth
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Senator

Formula for defeating elephants:

Man with a javelin + Horse X 30= Dead elephants or elephants that run amok.

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by samurai89 View Post
    Formula for defeating elephants:

(Man with a javelin + Horse) X 30= Dead elephants or elephants that run amok.
    you forgot these (,)

Senator

Sorry, I havent done maths in quite a while...

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

hire some Dacian/Thracian mercenaries!

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Pikemen, preferably the cheaper ones with some upgrades. But yeah flame arrows are still the best bet.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I use either a number of units of javelins to kill elephants or fire arrows to kill some and make the rest run amok.

If you make elephants run amok make sure that you engage them away from your lines as it's a lot funnier if they do this in the enemies ranks than your own.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

i had a custom battle versus an army w/ cataphract elephants and some solid phalangites did the job. flaming pigs would be good too but they're gone now
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Forest Elephants die in RS2 for every sip of Coke I drink.

That is why I love the Seleucids, their Cataphract Elephants are BEASTS OF WAR, not benevolent zoo animals!

Also, could anyone make me an avatar of one of those incredible cataphract elephants?
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

xXEsotericXx's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithn View Post
    Playing as Pergamon and the Seleucid hordes (okay, just a stack or two) are just romping over me with cataphract elephants! Why not just give them an Abrams tank and have done with it? How do I stop these nasty brutes? Javelineers, slingers and archers seem powerless to deal with them and they stomp over phalanxes and hoplites like they're practically not there! What do i need, a unit of mice?

I learned this when i was playing pokémon as a kid.....

Fire>BigMonster>Win.

BigBalista>BigMonster> Win.

500th post was a sarcastic one..
    "I think left but i write extreem right"
    - Esoteric -

:

SMoVader's Avatar Civis

I fought the Battle of Raphia as Ptolemy and fire arrows made them run amok easily much to my relieve and then that turned into delight when they ran through the rear of the Selucid battle line lol.
    RSIII player

Quote Originally Posted by SMoVader View Post
    I fought the Battle of Raphia as Ptolemy and fire arrows made them run amok easily much to my relieve and then that turned into delight when they ran through the rear of the Selucid battle line lol.
    That the major reason why I don't put the elephants anywhere near the main Seleucid body. They're still very useful for breaking up the Ptolemic Agema though.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

Marcus_Vipsanius's Avatar Semisalis

I'm at war with the Carthagenians and I haven't seen a single elephant (already fought quite some battles), not even in Africa. Is this normal?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get him as soon as you can, strike him as hard as you can and keep moving on.
    (Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Carthage doesn't have elephant units at the start and the AI prefers hiring units with mass.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast