Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chansons de Geste: CANCELLED

TaronQuinn's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Chansons de Geste: Preview phase

@ _Tartaros_, thanks, I'd appreciate it. I was looking around at the map, but I've left most of it alone, for lack of better info, but mainly from lack of interest. But if someone has suggestions, post them (with some sort of scholarly documentation...not just a Paint sketch you made on an atlas map haha). I'll look into the major faults, but I'm not gonna go around tweaking 2 and 3 pixel areas.

On a general note, its taking longer than I expected, mostly because I'm having to go through and modify unit textures (I just redid the Burgher Pikemen skin from the Teutonics campaign) and then having to make unit and unit info cards for some of them. I only have 3 units completely in the game and working in both battle and campaign. But once I get to the Broken Crescent units, it should go faster. When all is said and done, it should be vastly different and hopefully improved.

BUT, it will require some testing after its released to figure out the balance, as the new units might need to be nerfed or buffed.

TQ

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

ok - well here´re my ideas. they´re mainly from this map.

i change the regions.bmp in the world/base folder a bit -as you can see here

in game pics (without coastline correction´s without the islands bornholm and rügen)

baltic:

northern germany/neatherland:

northern germany

pommerania and east prusia

bohemia selisia poland
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; September 13, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Excellent work, +rep!
    I'm playing with the idea of returning to DLV, and these minimods are the reasons for that!

@Radzeer, thank you, I appreciate the compliment, and return it wholeheartedly for your continued excellence with your Hungarian Freeman AAR. Loved Ch. 5. I just wish I had been able to get this project out before you started it, as the inclusion of the Magyar Mod units would have given you a whole new roster and detail with which to create your AAR. Maybe a DLV Hungarian Freeman Reboot will be in order? haha

@_Tartaros_, I've included your map changes, and despite my hesitancy at seeing Lorraine and Bohemia so enlarged, I do see the logic of your suggestions. Also, they mesh well with the changes I have made to Hungary, France, the Balkans, and Scotland.

As a tiny update, I've managed to include about 8 units so far, as it is slow going, and I've had to reskin units to get them to be more authentic or match my vision.

On the left, the Burgher Pikemen. On the right, the upgraded Burgher Pikemen. Both use the upgraded Peasant Archer/Crossbowmen leather/brigandine, but look much better than the silver/black vanilla ones.

Some Knights of Jerusalem after a quick fight with some enemy spearmen. Nothing new on my part, all credit goes to Alpha Delta and Broken Crescent. Expect a lot more of this type of unit changes.

Foot Knights Templar from BC. Had trouble switching their animations to match DLV, so I had to get rid of their secondary weapon. They only have the 2H axe, but its a killer haha. Now Templar and Hospitaller knights aren't interchangeable, and you really have to think about which guild you choose. Also, Hospitallers will get a light cavalry sergeant in their guild, so that will further complicate the choose.

These guys replace the Highland Rabble unit. Same cost and recruitment options, and still a peasant levy, but adds some diversity to Scotland's rosters. These are BC's Peltastoi skins, but they resemble Scottish units enough to justify the switch.

These Scots Spearmen replace the Highland Pikemen. Scotland has enough freaking pike units, so I gave them a decent spear unit instead. This is BC's Ashrakazor Spearmen from Armenia, and the skin isn't perfect, but fits well enough. Does away with those excessive (and historically premature) kilts!

TQ
    Last edited by TaronQuinn; September 15, 2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaronQuinn View Post
    @Radzeer, thank you, I appreciate the compliment, and return it wholeheartedly for your continued excellence with your Hungarian Freeman AAR. Loved Ch. 5. I just wish I had been able to get this project out before you started it, as the inclusion of the Magyar Mod units would have given you a whole new roster and detail with which to create your AAR. Maybe a DLV Hungarian Freeman Reboot will be in order? haha
    TQ
    You must be reading minds, sir! A DLV reboot is exactly what I had in mind! I work really hard making DLV run on my computer again, so by the time of the reboot (mid-Octoberish) it should work. I definitely keep an eye on this!

awesome work TQ...i cant wait till this is out..help me man and release this soon...

Proud To Be Orthodox Christian

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

thanks for the awesome update. your submod goes definitely in the right direction.
    i´m also very pleased that you use my 2cents.
    best regards

Hail DLVers!

Work continues on my Chansons de Geste minimod for DLV 6.2. The process of adding units continues, and a long arduous process it is. I've finished over 30 units, from reskinning the Egyptian Tabardayyah axemen, to completely adding the Hospitaller Mounted Sergeants, making them recruitable from the Hospitaller guild. Roughly 55 units remain, but most of them are simple reskins, and require less work overall.

Hospitaller Mounted Sergeants

Maghrebi Marines (recruited at Egyptian ports)

Breton Light Cavalry, hired in northern France

Bedouin Camel Riders

Azeri Spearmen

In general, I find I've added a lot more diversity to the Islamic rosters, some ranged units and heavier cavalry, and especially heavier infantry units. This should allow them to stand up to other nations more readily, but not through numbers as they had before. I'd trying to keep them oriented toward their historical fighting styles, so that the Abbasids and Ayyubids (Egypt) focus more on traditional spear and sword infantry and cavalry, with some horse archer and desert units, while the Moors have a mix of desert (Berber) units, and Iberian units similar in style to European units....knights, spear infantry, crossbows. The Turks remain the same generally, with only some reskinned units

I'm also planning on adding some new units from Rusichi:TW to the Novgorodian and Kievan rosters, replacing some of the more vanilla units.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Great job! Can't wait for release :[

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Those Hospitalers look bad-arse! Good work!

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

can't wait. just installed your aragon mod and am impressed with it. now france has one more faction to worry about and spain has a rival on both sides of him.

Very good plan from TaronQuinn,

I hope you can add Sweden and Serbia if possible, or swap them for historical less important factions (no racism mean)..

But your works to swap Aztec - Aragon and Hedjaz - Abbasyd is same as what I've hope when I was played normal DLV, coz that 2 factions has more important role in DLV campaign map

Thank You, can't wait to DL..

how is the work of your mod TQ..i hope you are doing fine and this will be released soon..

btw..is there something new about my favorite faction "the byzantine empire"..!?

Haha almost there bud, definitely a release by this weekend; only a couple more units to reskin and then compiling the download.

As for new Byzantine stuff, nothing major. No new units, although I am thinking of asking permission to use a Broken Crescent unit as a Polemestai (marine) recruited at the Port. Also did some work on their starting position. Oh, and I added two forts just west of Constantinople to reflect the strength of its position and defenses; as long as the Byzantine player keeps them garrisoned, it should be very tough to take, or even get past, the city. You'll have to let me know what you think.

There are about 20-25 other units I'll reskin for the 1.1 version; and I have some ideas of what to do with the Chocolate and Tobacco resources...maybe move them Villages or other stuff spread around Europe.

TQ

Please look at my latest mod for BB2.8 for the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which includes changes to both the historical and imperial versions:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115681

It would be great if you can incorporate Kong's great textures, too!

yeah awesome...the idea about making Constantinople well defended by forts is very historical and nice one, and i will enjoy to make my capital hard to be taken,and will not have that silly problem that every turn a rebel army besiege my capital"forts will be besieged instead" as i see that byzantine empire really had Constantinople besieged only in time of crises and not during their zenith..

i hope you make Constantinople also have stone wall or huge stone walls...even that will cost much as huge city..but it is also a trade center and should be strong and expensive...unfair that this city is having a wooden walls"in the main campaign"....

the Bulgar whether they are rebels or a faction..must play a big rule..they have to be annoying fearless nation/rebels...and always looking to take the byzantine cities and castles in their region..

i can run beta testing for you..just let me know if you want a volunteer...
    Last edited by palatinae; October 07, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

was wondering since your in the business of adding units, taron quinn if you would give the mounted english knight axes instead of swords since it has been on the beginning loading screen since 6.0. aslo wonder if you could make french mounted archers recruitable from fortresses instead of cities. btw anything changed to aragon?

@gfortune, I will look into adding it in a later version, as I'm focusing on getting the 0.9 BETA and then the 1.0 version released.

@palatinae, your help in play-testing would be deeply appreciated. I or Sivilombudsmen will send you the BETA link some time in the next couple of days. Glad you approve the changes; and yes, Constantinople has stone walls to start, along with a couple other big cities, like Baghdad and 1 or 2 others that warrant them in this period. As for Bulgar rebels, I think I can do some work there by adding some stacks/forces in that region. I'll look into how to add a rebel spawning army, such as when a faction takes Sofia or Scopia or Preslav, a Bulgar rebel stack will generate nearby...not sure I can figure it out, but I'll at least try.

@RedGuard, I'm adding units, but I have not mastered the art (literally) of changing models yet. I have done some texture work, but only of the copy/paste kind. I'm not even sure what it would take to switch the English Knight's sword to an axe. As for the Mounted French Archers, yes, I'll look into adding them to Fortress or Citadel level stables, rather than only being available from the Military Academy. That, like gofrtune's KoJ changes, would be in a later version such as 1.1, as I'm just tying to get the BETA out now.

Progress is being made, and success is close at hand, folks!

TQ

Quote Originally Posted by TaronQuinn View Post
    @palatinae, your help in play-testing would be deeply appreciated. I or Sivilombudsmen will send you the BETA link some time in the next couple of days. Glad you approve the changes; and yes, Constantinople has stone walls to start, along with a couple other big cities, like Baghdad and 1 or 2 others that warrant them in this period. As for Bulgar rebels, I think I can do some work there by adding some stacks/forces in that region. I'll look into how to add a rebel spawning army, such as when a faction takes Sofia or Scopia or Preslav, a Bulgar rebel stack will generate nearby...not sure I can figure it out, but I'll at least try.
    TQ
    nice ...i am ready for this..thank You a lot for this honor ...God Bless

very well i knew changing units like that was a long and drawn out process because ive tried before and modded a little bit to the game. but I was just giving you some more ideas to change, but put my ideas on the backburner and consentrate on what you want to concentrate on because in the end its your mod for christ sake, and i can change whatever i want myself lol.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast