Thread: What a little gem of a mod!

Default What a little gem of a mod!

Having gotten fed up with trying to get NTW to work and having exhausted all of the decent Kingdoms mods I decided to revisit MTW's modding section and promptly discovered For King or country.

I have to say that this is probably the most polished, concise and enjoyable little mod Ive yet played! Ive really been having some fun with it. I love the map and the battles play out in a really challenging way. You seem to have managed to eliminate suicide General charges and the armies I have faced have manouvered on hill tops, forcing me to give up my position and come to them. Brilliant skins, great portraits, awesome sound, what more can I say.

I also really like the way that you can focus all of your attention on relatively few enemies (multiple factions only work if there is a diplomacy tool that works and total war has never had one) and properly get your teeth into the war.

One question:
    Each side starts with 12 Generals, which are basically irreplaceable (which I like). What happens if King Charles I is killed on the battlefield? It obviously dosent bring an immediate end to the civil war (it wouldnt have done in reality either), but does anything special happen, or was that impossible to implement given engine restraints?

Default Re: What a little gem of a mod!

To answer your question regarding Charles: in an earlier version of the mod, the Royalists had a family tree like the majorities of factions do in vanilla M2TW. However, killing Charles, Rupert and Maurice was, back then, enough to crush the Royalists, so AlphaDelta changed that with version 1.5.
    The 12 starting generals are indeed unique historical figures, but you will be given the possibility to "adopt" further characters (none of them historical, though). Thatīs something in the game engine trying to maintain a certain character-settlement ratio. Both factions do, however receive at least one additional character during the course of the campaign: the Royalists get Henry Tillier returning from Ireland, the Parlamentarians get the Earl of Leven and Alexander Leslie with the Scottish Covenanter army.
    Life is a sequence of missed opportunities

I just want to echo the sentiments of this over two year old thread.

This is a really neat, little mod. Recently, I had been playing 1648 2.0 which has immense scope and depth, but is currently a buggy mess with a hopeless CAI. (It's being patched-up, but it needs a lot of work.) However, that mod gave me a taste for a pike-and-shot combat and this mod is the only other M2TW mod that fits the bill. ("With Fire and Sword" looks interesting, but its download sites are awful and its English-language version sounds even more unstable than 1648 2.0.)

I had downloaded the Kingdoms' version over a year ago, but never really played it. I almost deleted this mod from frustration. After all the CTD issues with 1648, it was disconcerting to start a FKOC campaign and get CTDs with my first battles. Luckily, I read the forum and learned that the Kingdoms' version causes CTD's when trying to fight a battle with your faction leader or heir.

So, I deleted the Kingdoms' version and installed the M2TW version. Unfortunately, my first big battle with this version was on the Devon-Cornwall bridge and I got a CTD at the end of the battle. And when I refought the battle, I got another CTD. A repeatable CTD at the end of every battle fought on that bridge. Again, I came close to uninstalling, but again I searched the forum and discovered that was a well-known issue with fighting battles on particular bridge. So, I avoided fighting battles on that bridge and haven't had any other CTD problems since. The mod has been very stable. (I know this mod and this forum are pretty much dead, but a stickied "KNOWN BUGS" thread as to these issues would be helpful to possible new gamers. I only discovered they were well-known bugs by searching around.)

Anyway, this is just a really fun mod. I'm playing as the Royalists on VH campaign/H battles. Although playing VH campaign may be overkill, the CAI is swimming in cash and troops. Still, no broke-@ss, comatose CAI here. It's late 1643 and I'm strategizing how to break the current stalemate and complete my conquest of the west. I've only lost one of my starting generals, Charles Gerard, who was killed in an incredibly bloody battle which also saw the deaths of the Earl of Manchester and Oliver Cromwell. (I've whittled down the Parliamentarian generalship to a few survivors. Thomas Fairfax is still out there, but not much else.) I managed to take Plymouth and Reading, but I've spent a lot of time defending what I have rather than advancing. Even without generals, Parliament with its immense armies is swooping-up my barely garrisoned Midlands' holdings. I definitely feel that the odds are against me, but it's been terrific trying to maximize my strengths and squeeze everything I can out my armies and economy. (Yeah, I could make things easier by drawing the CAI into bridge battles (not Cornwall-Devon) or use gamey tactics with my cav, but I don't find that fun.)

I've enjoyed this mod so much that I'm eager to learn more about the English Civil War which is a period of history I confess that I know little except from watching Richard Harris ranting and scowling in "Cromwell." (I felt the same way when I played the original STW and found that it made me want to know more about its historical setting which is a pretty high compliment as to this mod's quality and historical flavor.)

its not quite dead,there are still one or two of us old timers left.

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    its not quite dead,there are still one or two of us old timers left.
    On top of plenty of new converts like myself and MKeogh.