Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I expanding too slow?

Default Am I expanding too slow?

Its 570 AUC and I've only took Genoa. I get a TON of money a turn and most of my Italian cities are large or huge. I'm still at war with carthago and macedonia. Just haven't really taken their providences, just crushed the navy and any army they send to Spain or that Greek town you start out with.

Its been like 30 years, or 60 turns and I'm pretty much still in the same starting location. Only all 6 of my legions have at least silver chevrons.

What do you guys think

Rome btw
    Last edited by 0bliviousCaboose; September 08, 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Default Re: Am I expanding too slow?

There's no right or wrong. Some people blitz and expand fast and others take it slower. It depends on experience and other factors to a certain extent.

The main question is....are you enjoying yourself? If so, then good!

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Its mainly that i rather spend the money on my core cities. Build up enough to get more money. And why do my generals have the trait, economy failing or something like that. I look at my cities and they have high loyalty and make money?

As tone said, have fun. Your king of your empire!
    Balance is a key factor.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Do you have over 50 000 in the treasury?

If so, your governors will get bad management traits.

(at least that was the case in RTW and RS 1.6)

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Quote Originally Posted by 0bliviousCaboose View Post
    Its mainly that i rather spend the money on my core cities. Build up enough to get more money. And why do my generals have the trait, economy failing or something like that. I look at my cities and they have high loyalty and make money?
    It's probably your faction leader. If he got a bad economy trait then most of you generals will be influenced and get the same trait (possible with another name). Kill your faction leader and you should lose those traits.
    You might even get the opposite ones if your faction leader is a good economist.

Quote Originally Posted by Centaurion View Post
    Do you have over 50 000 in the treasury?

If so, your governors will get bad management traits.

(at least that was the case in RTW and RS 1.6)
    Not in RS 2 (or it's been made higher than 50 000).
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I too am taking a slower approach (I almost always do). I'm on turn 40 and have only taken 3 settlements (Syracuse, Baliares and Aemilia) and I only have like 4 legions plus small garrisons. Been building like mad since the start but I still have over 100k in the bank. I'm used to taking things slow as I've found that in vanilla TW games, it gives the AI time to build up and 'strong' factions to emerge creating more of a challenge. Though I guess you don't really need to do that in RS2.

No you don't need that.
    Also your economy will go down once you leave Italy.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Hmm, I usually blitz. As Macedonia its 542 AUC and I've united most of Greece. Sparta and Olympia stand free, and I have an army at the Spartan walls. (Whats up with those?) But the Romans are biting hard on the northern border, and the remaining Greeks have assembled one last army in Thessaly. It is a tough campaign, something I can't say about most mods. Or games really. This is nicely done.

don't go crazy, cuz assimilation of new settlements is much tougher than it used to be, especially if you try not to "depopulate." as rome, you have plenty of enemies to start out with and going on a rampage can be disastrous and the aftereffects painful
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

I don't think you are going to slow, I am in a very similar position to you. All money is reinvested into my cities, I have 4 or 5 armies from Rome and one or two Allied armies. I just took Genoa two or three turns ago in order to put Carthage back in their box. I did capture Syracuse after those crazy Greeks started a fight.

One of the many things that I am enjoying is the ability to have a decent navy. I usually never bother with a navy, I just build the odd ferry. But there is so much spare cash around I have 4 stacks of 20 Triremes. It must be one of the biggest navies I have ever bothered to build in a game.

I have been aiming to keep the cash below 200,000 as I suspect that may be a trigger for some bad traits, but it is a random guess on my part.

PadrePio's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    No you don't need that.
    Also your economy will go down once you leave Italy.
    Why so?

Like them, I also build more and expand slowly. I'd like to take care of my domestic problems first before thinking of expanding. And my expansion policy is mostly strategic. If a foreign province is, to my opinion, vital to Rome's survival, I'll conquer it. Or at least, try to.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrePio View Post
    Why so?
    I believe they have scripted some financial penalties that will be incurred once you expand beyond 'your borders'.

I'm not entirely sure what my borders are meant to be or how severe the penalties will be, but I am pretty sure that if you have developed your starting cities to a high level before commencing Operation Kill Everyone and Take Over the World, you should be able to handle anything they throw at you.

The prospect of a late game rebellion certainly prevents me from assuming I can easily win my campaign, and gives some added motivation to developing as many cities as possible to a high level. Who knows what cities I will be left with once the rebellion rears its ugly head.

Kallides's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    I have an army at the Spartan walls. (Whats up with those?)
    Sorry offtopic but its something that has been bothering me too. Why does Sparta have walls? I tried destroying mine but the button for that is gray so no chance. Is there any other way to get rid of those walls, maybe through .txt files?

Snipers get more Head!

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by darkfng View Post
    I believe they have scripted some financial penalties that will be incurred once you expand beyond 'your borders'.

I'm not entirely sure what my borders are meant to be or how severe the penalties will be, but I am pretty sure that if you have developed your starting cities to a high level before commencing Operation Kill Everyone and Take Over the World, you should be able to handle anything they throw at you.

The prospect of a late game rebellion certainly prevents me from assuming I can easily win my campaign, and gives some added motivation to developing as many cities as possible to a high level. Who knows what cities I will be left with once the rebellion rears its ugly head.
    Not so much scripted as it's just more expensive to operate outside of your 'home territories'.

There are bits in the script that will reduce money in a treasury if a faction has waaaay too much money there.

I also much prefer to build up my economy before expanding a lot. However, it's probably best to expand a little bit and don't assume an AI faction won't start sending armies your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallides View Post
    Sorry offtopic but its something that has been bothering me too. Why does Sparta have walls? I tried destroying mine but the button for that is gray so no chance. Is there any other way to get rid of those walls, maybe through .txt files?
    I tihnk at this stage Sparta needed it's walls as it was a mere shadow of what it had been in the past.

The challenge is to get Sparta back to prominence - in the area at least.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Kallides View Post
    You can remove those in de 'descr_strat.txt' file that is in the 'data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign' folder of the mod folder for the faction you're playing.
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."

Kallides's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I tihnk at this stage Sparta needed it's walls as it was a mere shadow of what it had been in the past.

The challenge is to get Sparta back to prominence - in the area at least.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    You can remove those in de 'descr_strat.txt' file that is in the 'data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign' folder of the mod folder for the faction you're playing.
    And thank you!

Snipers get more Head!

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Cimbri, the ultimate blitz campaign, 6-7+ settlements in 20+ turns

It will hurt you soon enough.
    Son of Legio

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    It will hurt you soon enough.
    Well, if you mean income, it has fallen from 40-50k, to 8-10k, so i think i'm already hurt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast