Thread: Economy in Chaos

Lux Aeterna's Avatar Laetus

Default Economy in Chaos

I was wondering if anyone can give me a little help with my economy. Playing as the Romans I'm just about to finish off Carthage. Now I would think that the massive increases in cities and population to my empire would cause my treasury to be full to the brim (it's not) however I do have a massive army upkeep but my army size has not increased since I brought my hammer down on Africa and my economy gets worse every turn despite the above mentioned supposed boons to my economy.

Now I have been musing on why this is and I've got several ideas.

1. My economy was doing spectacularly well when Quintis Fabius Maximus was my national leader, he had several good leadership traits, which in turn (I believe) gave my governors good economy traits. His son however, (my current national leader) Sextus the Coward, is a rotten apple with god awful leadership traits. I believe that he may be the root of most of my economic woes.

2. Because of the war with Carthage and my massive army upkeep, I've been avoiding building infrastructure. Mostly because I don't have any money to spare. I've been unable to build up farming, tax collection, vineyards and mines, this could be impacting my economy spectacularly.

3. The aforementioned army upkeep could actually be impacting the biggest strain on my economy. At the moment I've got five mobile full stacks and garrison forces across my empire with large garrison forces in Illyria and the Iberian coast. Personally I think all of my armed forces are neccessary and are perhaps not even enough, so I can't exactly reduce them.

So what do I do? Send Sextus the Coward on a "luxury cruise"? Or cut my army in half and use the money to build infrastructure? It won't be long till I'm permanantly in the red in which case Macedon and the Gallaeci will overun my borders which is of course unacceptable. What do I do?

mattgoby's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Economy in Chaos

I never allow generals to have bad traits those get killed or stuck at corners of my empire im fairly sure are about to be invaded. so yeah a cruise into some unfriendly waters is a good idea also turtle and build your economic buildings when carthage falls.
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

"us british our world war champions of the world"-AL MURRAY

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

A cruise sounds like a sound idea.

Also don't build the tax building if you don't need to. They will only tax you people until they got no money to give resulting in an even deeper economic depression.
    Try to keep you taxes at normal or high and only at very high during war for the same reason.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

You cant tax the people. The money just magically comes out of the city.

Lol what?
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    A cruise sounds like a sound idea.

Also don't build the tax building if you don't need to. They will only tax you people until they got no money to give resulting in an even deeper economic depression.
    Try to keep you taxes at normal or high and only at very high during war for the same reason.
    Hey Apple, can you explain more this aspect? From your word it seems that taxation is a lot different from vanilla. Is there a point where taxation doesn't work anymore cause the people have no more money? How it works?

Look if you have 50% on everything your people own then they will own less and less every time you tax them and thus get less money.
    So if one guy got 1000d worth of stuff and you tax him 50% then he only got 500+ the thing he earned the months between being taxed.
    If you got low tax then Hi might increase the amount of value he got and thus give you more tax for less %.
    That's how I think it works. Dvk should know better as he made the system.
    Son of Legio

apple and co., i need some monetary help too. romans on H/H after imperial reforms-my empire is decent size, italy, sicily, most of north africa, south gaul. unfortunately, no matter how hard i try, my cities have terrible public order. i have full stacks in some cities but they refuse to shut up and put down the pitchforks. tax rates are low, and yet they still are pissed. the low tax rate means i can't have enough money to train men, which means i am constantly scraping together armies to attack the barbarians at the gates. most of my money goes to public order buildings, which seem to do nothing at all. any help would be much appreciated, as right now i hate my plebs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Build baths and temples that give you law bonus.
    Son of Legio

Can someone explain us more this tax system???

I did and if that's not enough ask Dvk he made it.
    Son of Legio

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

What? Theres a system for taxes? It never used to matter what your tax level was.

Lux Aeterna's Avatar Laetus

Thanks for the tips, I got rid of Sextus and his replacement seems to be doing a good job. I've also finished off Carthage and destroyed half of Macedons total armed forces when they invaded Illyria, five stacks and I destroyed them all with one commanded by my new national leader. So my economy seems to be repairing itself gradually and I'm preparing to invade Macedon and Greece which, if it's the same as in the original RTW, is the richest place on the map. This should provide a nice cash injection, I hope.

Great.
    It really adds another layer to the economy with the faction leader trait isn't it.
    Son of Legio