Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Elven Factions Re-Development

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Elven Factions Re-Development

it can barely move only in phalanx formation, mate if it has bows, it's impossible to have phalanx too

Colonel Cleg McLeg's Avatar Decanus
    Cardiff or Wrexham, in Wales, depending on the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    But the problem is that Silvan Elves are also Eldar so we can't name another of them Eldar.
    There were Silvan elves living in Lindon, too, alongside the Sindar and Noldor. For me, either "Eldar" or "Sindar" would be preferable, because one name refers to all the inhabitants of Lindon and Rivendell, while the second refers to the majority. The name "High Elves", on the other hand, refers to a minority.

Libertus

The only two changes in the rosters that I might make is maybe light cavalry unit for the high elves and an aor axe unit for mirkwood.
    Otherwise it looks great and I wish you luck.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

No shield, two handed weapon. Why is the pike animation better?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by -ożo- View Post
    The only two changes in the rosters that I might make is maybe light cavalry unit for the high elves and an aor axe unit for mirkwood.
    This has crossed my mind especially the light cavalry since the eldar cavalry is just too powerful and i would like to reduce their availability, but I would need a decent concept for them. I'm on the fence about axes, some say that they were used by elves others don't like them, I just had the idea of including a forester unit, two handed axe (really basic)

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    No shield, two handed weapon. Why is the pike animation better?
    because in the other animation the polearm is used like a long, 2h axe (by experience). Look at MArchwardens of Lorien and the old Esgaroth Warriors for reference

Quote Originally Posted by -ożo- View Post
    This has crossed my mind especially the light cavalry since the eldar cavalry is just too powerful and i would like to reduce their availability, but I would need a decent concept for them.
    Good idea. Would those have spear+sword or something else entirely?

I'm on the fence about axes, some say that they were used by elves others don't like them,
    Well they were used by Elves. The problem is, we don't know to what extent really. Personally, I think they're more reasonable with basic units than swords are. Plus FRoME has some nice versions already.

Libertus

Well I thinking maybe rivendell aor for the light cavalry but that seems to be covered by the sentinels(who look great by the way),maybe some kind of lancer unit, I'm not really sure on the concept but something is needed to stop eldar cavalry becoming available so early.
    On the axemen there is a line in the silmarrilion so they are supported lorewise, and a 2 handed axe unit sounds great.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    because in the other animation the polearm is used like a long, 2h axe (by experience). Look at MArchwardens of Lorien and the old Esgaroth Warriors for reference
    I guess I'll do that so they'll have more of a thrusting motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Good idea. Would those have spear+sword or something else entirely?
    Spear and sword unless someone has a better idea.
    Well they were used by Elves. The problem is, we don't know to what extent really. Personally, I think they're more reasonable with basic units than swords are. Plus FRoME has some nice versions already.
    This unit would be different from the Frome unit, it would have a different background. The forester has great ties with nature and art, so the garment design would be intricate and ornate but not very practical for battle in terms of defense.

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cleg McLeg View Post
    There were Silvan elves living in Lindon, too, alongside the Sindar and Noldor. For me, either "Eldar" or "Sindar" would be preferable, because one name refers to all the inhabitants of Lindon and Rivendell, while the second refers to the majority. The name "High Elves", on the other hand, refers to a minority.
    But my point is that you can call either of Elven factions Eldar because their whole population was Eldar. It's basically same as if faction's name was "Elves". Anyways I think we should get back on topic before somebody starts deleting posts.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Don't know about Vale of the Anduin AOR, doesn't sound right.
    yep, agree, was just an example. may be the cavalry should be limited to settlements on the borders of Wirkwood, such as Rhosgobel. It would mean that Wood Elves need mounted warriors when they go to war outside the forests

Patrician

Updated the op with some additional info and units, there is really no more room for new units. What would be nice now would be different descriptive ideas and concept art about weapons, shields and other attachments such as knifes and horns. The final look of some of the local units is still unclear till I draw the concept, so ideas about them would be good too.
    Last edited by Louis Lux; September 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Instead of light lancers, what do you think about Mounted Sentinels having javelins and axes?? That's just my idea of light cavalry though...
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Senator

Well im sure in the two towers at helms deep some of them elves are women if you look. Eather that or they are just puffy looking guys. No offence to puffy looking elves. So it would be cool to have some females within the heavy silvan archers or somthing.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

I must say that this looks fantastic. I'm really glad that the Elves finally get a revamp. but that one guys post that was super long and had all the pictures from the internet or made by him was a really good concept. I think alot of those ideas are being implemented....but I would just like to say that that was a great idea and it would be cool to throw that in the game. Thanks again for this LL, and if I could...I'd rep you. spread the rep!!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by the cooliest View Post
    I must say that this looks fantastic. I'm really glad that the Elves finally get a revamp. but that one guys post that was super long and had all the pictures from the internet or made by him was a really good concept. I think alot of those ideas are being implemented....but I would just like to say that that was a great idea and it would be cool to throw that in the game. Thanks again for this LL, and if I could...I'd rep you. spread the rep!!
    Those drawings are not made by him. He means well but I think his ideas would fit better a project in the same line as Taro's gondor units. I'll be adressing some of the issues he has pointed out but in my own way.

Lindon Pikes Concept

I'll give them a partial plate visual upgrade
    Eregion Smiths Sketch
    Did this very quickly, it's based on a unused weta design that was the original inspiration for them. I really like it because it has some galadhrim influences and the two places are close to each other

Last edited by Louis Lux; September 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM.

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

@LL mate do u draw these concepts....if so , nice hand mate!

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post
    Well im sure in the two towers at helms deep some of them elves are women if you look. Eather that or they are just puffy looking guys. No offence to puffy looking elves. So it would be cool to have some females within the heavy silvan archers or somthing.
    To be honest movies should never be used as a source of information for a thing like this. Books are main source and movies give visual aid.

I'll give them a partial plate visual upgrade
    Nice. Will the upgrade include a helmet?

Did this very quickly, it's based on a unused weta design that was the original inspiration for them. I really like it because it has some galadhrim influences and the two places are close to each other
    Interesting. Does that mean they'll lose the shields of the original unit?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by koultouras View Post
    @LL mate do u draw these concepts....if so , nice hand mate!
    Of course! Didn't spend a lot of time in them either...
    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Nice. Will the upgrade include a helmet?

Interesting. Does that mean they'll lose the shields of the original unit?
    Helmet, probably

Shield, He is holding it in the drawing, I'll change the shield design too.