Thread: Unit Card Bug

xXEsotericXx's Avatar Biarchus

Default Unit Card Bug

Hello all viewers.

I'm not sure if i looked good im sorry if someone els already posted this, but it's RSII and still got this little bug , and its fustrating when i view unit cards 1 turn later or few minutes later the Unit picture dissapears, so i dont know how they look like , maybe for some its not a big of a deal , but i want mine working, its a easy prob for u Dev i bet i will get a fast reply or some link to the awsner

Thanks in advanced

ps: helping with solution = rep :p
    "I think left but i write extreem right"
    - Esoteric -

:

Hellhound1's Avatar *Knock Knock*

Default Re: Unit Card Bug

try alt-tabbing out then back in?

It may be because of the RTW engine not being able to handle so many unit cards (i read somewhere), so that might help. Unfortunately, i dont know if theres a permanent fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound1 View Post
    try alt-tabbing out then back in?

It may be because of the RTW engine not being able to handle so many unit cards (i read somewhere), so that might help. Unfortunately, i dont know if theres a permanent fix.

Ah oke, nah i normaly did a quik save, then it shows some unit cards....

now i got a new problem .. sigh.. blackscreen after some dumb brusoliv vice city someting, then blackscreen i can hear the music of the start screen but i cant see anything.... ill check the forums... sigh
    - Esoteric -

:

Hellhound1's Avatar *Knock Knock*

Thats a commonly reported problem. Theres stuff for that on here.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

The unit cards that appear and disappear is a RTW bug and nothing to do with the mod.

Sometimes you can click on a settlement and see the cards there (either for a unit or a building). If you can see the cards there you can go back to the original unit and the card will appear. If this does not work it will re-appear within a turn or two.

The black screen with the GTA thing when you launch the game is because you have the bloom effect selected. This is mentioned in the Release Thread.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    The unit cards that appear and disappear is a RTW bug and nothing to do with the mod.
    I`ve never seen white battle cards in vanilla. There might be other mods that have the issue, but so far I`ve only seen this happening in RS2. While the game`s engine is the one unable to cope with a certain situation, clearly, the situation is created by the mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound1 View Post
    It may be because of the RTW engine not being able to handle so many unit cards (i read somewhere),
    That I think is a myth. For example:
    EB v1.0 which had no such issue afaik had 2538 files in its UNIT_INFO sub-folder and 2555 files in its UNITS sub-folder
    RS2(I`m looking at a beta which also had the issue) has only 1969 in UNIT_INFO and 2331 in UNITS.
    Unless it happens in eb too and I don`t remember that then that`s that for the theory that there are too many cards.

Then there is dvk`s theory that because the engine is old it can not render the cards of the last units from EDU(from 446 up):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...71#post7979671
    That also seems wrong because:
    1. the same units(Machimoi Doryphoroi for example) may have white battle cards in the selection of a faction(ptolemaics for example), but show fine in the selection of another faction(parthia for example) at the same time. There`s only one EDU entry and only one export_units entry even if it`s used by more than one faction.
    2. I (and others too afaik) have a full (500 entries) EDU in other(other than RS2) games and there`re no white battle cards showing.

As I`ve told tone a while ago, the problem needs to be more systematically analyzed, preferably via a public thread in the workshop collecting all the data in one place so that everyone might contribute ideas. Blaming everything on the vanilla engine is both rather unfair imo and won`t lead to solving the problem either.

Sometimes you can click on a settlement and see the cards there (either for a unit or a building). If you can see the cards there you can go back to the original unit and the card will appear. If this does not work it will re-appear within a turn or two.

The black screen with the GTA thing when you launch the game is because you have the bloom effect selected. This is mentioned in the Release Thread.
    Yea thanks, where all new to that Launch Menu, i removed the dark blooming, i didnt like blooming in RS, it's a good mod still , i still think its a shame the cards sometimes just turn out white tho.
    - Esoteric -

:

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by xXEsotericXx View Post
    Yea thanks, where all new to that Launch Menu, i removed the dark blooming, i didnt like blooming in RS, it's a good mod still , i still think its a shame the cards sometimes just turn out white tho.
    Try the lighter blooming effect. It's not so intrusive as the dark one.

I've used the light one for some custom battles. A lot depends where the sun is.

With the unit cards - have a read of florin80s post. It sounds like it doesn't happen in vanilla or some other mods.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    I`ve never seen white battle cards in vanilla. There might be other mods that have the issue, but so far I`ve only seen this happening in RS2. While the game`s engine is the one unable to cope with a certain situation, clearly, the situation is created by the mod.

That I think is a myth. For example:
    EB v1.0 which had no such issue afaik had 2538 files in its UNIT_INFO sub-folder and 2555 files in its UNITS sub-folder
    RS2(I`m looking at a beta which also had the issue) has only 1969 in UNIT_INFO and 2331 in UNITS.
    Unless it happens in eb too and I don`t remember that then that`s that for the theory that there are too many cards.

Then there is dvk`s theory that because the engine is old it can not render the cards of the last units from EDU(from 446 up):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...71#post7979671
    That also seems wrong because:
    1. the same units(Machimoi Doryphoroi for example) may have white battle cards in the selection of a faction(ptolemaics for example), but show fine in the selection of another faction(parthia for example) at the same time. There`s only one EDU entry and only one export_units entry even if it`s used by more than one faction.
    2. I (and others too afaik) have a full (500 entries) EDU in other(other than RS2) games and there`re no white battle cards showing.

As I`ve told tone a while ago, the problem needs to be more systematically analyzed, preferably via a public thread in the workshop collecting all the data in one place so that everyone might contribute ideas. Blaming everything on the vanilla engine is both rather unfair imo and won`t lead to solving the problem either.
    Actually, I did a good bit of testing regarding this issue, and discovered that any unit beyond 446 (or there-abouts, I don't remember the exact number at which it started happening), if available in Custom Battles, will show a white unit card in the menu. There is no question in my mind about this, as I moved a bunch of 'no_custom' units to the bottom of EDU before we released, and 'most' of them disappeared. The problem is that I forgot, in moving certain units to the bottom of EDU, to make them 'no_custom', so they are beyond that magic number, and therefore, white card. So, although it is and is not the mod's fault...it's kinda both. RTW apparently cannot render the cards beyond that number, and RS2 has 500 unit slots.

The fix is easy...it's just that when I 'fixed it', I forgot to totally fix it.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Citizen

There appears to be two seperate issues here

1) the 'white out' that happens on the strategy map with unit card and buildng cards
    2) the blank unit cards shown in custom battles

I think the OP was referring to the first one.

Nordmann's Avatar Senator

I must say, this is the first mod in which I have encountered the white card issue, and I don't remember seeing it in vanilla either.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Actually, I did a good bit of testing regarding this issue, and discovered that any unit beyond 446 (or there-abouts, I don't remember the exact number at which it started happening), if available in Custom Battles, will show a white unit card in the menu. There is no question in my mind about this
    Then how do you explain(see my example above) that the exact same unit has no problem in one faction`s custom battle lineup and displays a blank card in another faction`s lineup? That aside, I`ve just checked in my atw based game and the battle card of unit number 494(I have recently removed a few units; previously I had a full 500) shows fine. Definitely, the problem can not be the number of EDU entry alone. Or at all. What is worth seeing though is the connection to their export_units entries. There I think I have fewer than you.
    There appears to be two seperate issues here

1) the 'white out' that happens on the strategy map with unit card and buildng cards
    2) the blank unit cards shown in custom battles

I think the OP was referring to the first one.
    Oh! I was referring to the latter.
    Last edited by florin80; September 10, 2010 at 05:20 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    Oh! I was referring to the latter.
    That's what I realized after a while - I was sure that you were referring to the campaign map 'white outs' - which I think the OIP was referring to.

If that could be removed that would be good - but I think it's part of RTW.

I know that in early betas of games quite often the unit card for units that don't actually have acard is the peasant unit card. So, I presume the game is finding a card but for whatever reason is unable to display it.

Thanks m8, il ltry the light blooming later ; ]
    - Esoteric -

:

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by xXEsotericXx View Post
    Thanks m8, il ltry the light blooming later ; ]
    ?? Wrong thread?