Thread: Need Dev and community help please.

Default Need Dev and community help please.

Ok before you move this or ask I already posted a topic in the tech help, and while I got some great help I still have a problem that keeps occuring. Namely this:http://img259.imageshack.us/f/error2vm.jpg/

I followed the instructions. I even sent the installer to a folder on desktop as I have XP and I learned that this mod has trouble getting through on XP computers. Because orginally the error message said the mod wasn't installed into the RTW even though the installer pointed it there and all I did was click ok. The target and start in lines match up, I can't run the short cut as admin as not is not an option but I've done every other profile on this computer and still same problem. Its a clean install of RTW as I reinstalled it everytime a new problem came up.

I've installed and played mods such as RTR 6, RTR7, EB, RS 1.6, Rome Medieval, Chivalry, IBFD with no problems. So i'm not completely stupid when it comes to mods. Im hoping though this is something stupid on my part that I can easily just fix. I just want to play this mod after waiting so long for it. So any help is much appreciated.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Need Dev and community help please.

Earlier this evening I installed RSII onto my laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP3 on it. I had no problems during the install. I can run RSII on my laptop without problems. I had to do nothing to the shortcut to the launcher.

The only thing I did encountered was greyed out buttons on the launcher - which you don't have.

Your screen does not allow anyone to see the contents of your folder.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Which folder do you want to see?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

The folder where the mod has been installed to.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Your files should look like this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ok...then why is it showing that I have that for one and not the other??

When you install the mod go to watever drive for me it was c so C:\Program Files (86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome Total War\

Question: have you actually copied the RS2 installation files into a folder that contains RTW1.5? The way that screenshot looks makes me wonder.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Question: have you actually copied the RS2 installation files into a folder that contains RTW1.5? The way that screenshot looks makes me wonder.
    Thats what I thought as well Tone.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    ....Yep.

http://img20.imageshack.us/f/error1dh.jpg/

Quote Originally Posted by AotxLoGiX View Post
    Your files should look like this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Alright. All the files are in my folder so shouldnt the launcher still be able to find it? But I'll get it like that.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

First of all, you installed the mod in a 'sub_folder' of RTW and not the RTW folder itself. All RS mods must be installed INTO the folder that contains the EXE file that runs RTW. That would be either 'RomeTW.exe, or RomeBI.exe, and so on. So always point the installer to the foler that contains the RTW exe's.

Secondly, (and this has nothing to do with the mod, but some 'Technical Advice'), you should never install any type of application onto your 'Desktop'. The Desktop in all versions of Windows since Windows95 is part of your 'User Profile'. This a very critical part of your Windows install, and meant only for computer settings, your documents storage, personal settings, Favorites, and global application settings. It is a 'dynamic' folder that is always changing, and more importantly, it is subject to total corruption on occasion....to the point where you need to create a new 'Profile' sometimes to fix Windows issues.

Also, your Profile has to 'load' each time you load Windows, and EVERYTHING in it. That means your desktop, and it means all the stuuf in it has to be parsed through by Windows before it actually becomes usable. The more junk on your desktop, the longer Windows takes to load.

I would recommend to anyone that they install RTW on any drive, anywhere EXCEPT the 'Program Files' folder, and certainly not on the Desktop. You'll save a lot of grief.

You can save your install, however, by just moving it to a folder on a drive somewhere, As long as Windows 'thinks' it's installed somewhere, it won't care where it is.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Ok I got it up and running. Thanks.