Not using steam
    C:\Jon sin mappe\Activision\Rome Total War
    Launched BI.exe and Roman campaign

The comp:
    ati radeon HD 5700
    4gb RAM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @2.67gHz 2.67gHz
    Monitor BenQ 2200

Settings: Unit size huge (I will never lower this) Battle resolution 1920x1080 vegetation low (ingame and launcher) High res on laucher- no, most other ingame settings are low, unit detail medium.

The problem: AFTER battles are done (when closing after battle report), I randomly get CTDs, and also I often get a glimpse of the desktop when RS2 is about to load between battles (even if I don't CTD that is.) I think the battles that crash are usually battles where Im attacked, but I'm not sure of this. It doesnt happen all the time, but enough to piss me off, especially after a long battle. I hope that you can help me. I'll post savegame if needed.

Also, how do I turn of camera restriction? Putting FALSE in preferance.txt doesnt work. And I cant seem to get the preferance on the laucher to work.

-Loiro

Edit: It has happened in Spain, on the greek peninsula and Sardinia, siegebattle aswell as open field (with vegetation).

2nd edit: I've put my graphics card on "optimal performance", I try to wait (as instructed in release thread) before closing the battle. Still I get post battle ctds almost every third battle... Could changing the swap file help me here or am I just screwed? Any tips at all? Hoping for some answers, cheers!
    Last edited by Loiro; September 08, 2010 at 05:03 AM.
    ¨Philip of Macedon: “If I enter Laconia, I will level Sparta to the ground.”

¨Spartan reply: “If.”

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: Wierd CTDs at the end of battles

I can only make some educated guesses here, and ask some questions. First, do you have 'unit shaders' enabled in Video options? They MUST be enabled (the box checked) in RS2.
    Second, are you using the 'High-Res' vegetation files?

The occasional 'glimpse' of the Desktop when the game switches screens like from a menu to the battle loading, or from the Strat Map to a battle is normal. That's just the game switching resolutions.
    You can disable 'restricted camera' in the game options at any time during a battle. Just hit the 'escape key', click on 'Game Options', and un-check 'Restricted Camera' at the bottom. Anyway, I think that's where it is.
    It's better to do this in-game, because each modfoldered campaign AND the Custom Battles all have their own 'preferences.txt' file.

I suspect (but really can't prove) that after battle CTD's, 'other than' the normal bugged RTW dialog screen that comes up after you capture a city, is due to Video card overheating or overloading. There is a LOT going on in the Battlefield, and many very intensive graphics and models involved. There will be many systems that just can't handle some of the higher settings for whatever reason. I would suggest doing the following:

1. Do NOT use 'high-res' vegetation or the 'high-res DMB' from the Launcher. Set both to the defaults.

2. Go into 'Video options' before entering a campaign and check the box that shows advanced options. Now click the gold button in the lower left hand corner. RTW will do an analysis of your Video card and suggest the best settings it thinks you should use.

3. Turn anti-aliasing OFF

4. Make sure 'Unit-Shaders' box is checked (in must be).

5. Set Vegetation to 'Medium'

6. Set 'Unit Detail' to 'High' (never to 'Highest'. That setting disables ALL of the unit sprites).

7. Set Grass detail to Medium.

8. Set resolution to a lower one than you are using...something in the 1200's.

9. If you check 'Widescreen', this is what causes the momentary 'glimpse' of the Desktop, but that's OK. All other settings can be as you wish.

Try this for a while and see if it solves the problem. If it does, you can try 'inching' settings up a bit. But I really see no point using the High Res files...they are for the most ungodly powerful rigs that most people don't have, and are very taxing on you PC and Video.

I'm recommending this because I personally have not had this crashing after battles problem...but I have a relatively 'low-end' PC and I know it. So my settings are quite modest. My machine can't even handle 'Huge' unit settings, but works on 'Large', and lags like crazy when I choose 'High' detail for Vegetation. So I don't push it, and have no problems.

Also, a house-keeping tip....make sure your video card is clean, and the fan is not clogged with dust or dirt. Same goes for the processor heat sink and fan. You can buy 'canned air' at a lot of electronics stores for a buck or two, and blow out these fans if they are dusty or clogged. BUT, never do this when the machine is HOT or running, and don't put the tip of the plastic tube that shoots the air too close to card or motherboard. Compressed air is VERY cold, and you can virtual 'freeze' components and snap them to pieces with it, especially if they are already hot. If you don't have canned air, use a vacuum cleaner or blow out the fans as best you can with whatever you can. Dust and dirt are your PC's enemy, and cause problems dispersing heat.

Make sure that all of the FANS in your PC are working right. If they aren't, you'll have problems.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks a lot for answering! To answer your questions: High res vegetation in laucher are set to low, unit shaders are on. (Btw, what is high res DMB? Pretty sure I've put all launcher-options at low tho.)
    I've never understood if anti-aliasing is good or bad, I know what it does, but never knew what to set it at, thanks for telling me to turn it off
    I'll follow your points of action and see how it plays out as soon as I can.

Tho I wonder if the swap file could help with this? Oh, and the fans are cleaned regularly. Also, I might (can't really remember) have forgotten to enable the script a couple of times, what results might this cause?

I'll be back with an update as soon as I've done some more battles.

hey dvk...!!!!!!! Thanks for the Mod
    But,I had the same problem......
    Every setting was turned to low(except unit size=HUGE)...
    Was playing against Carthage in that Island
    I'm using RTWBI.exe engine
    All the fans are clean and workin' properly
    My Computer Config is as follows:
    MotherBoard:G31T-M5
    Processor:Core 2 Duo @ 2.8Ghz
    GPU:Intel GMA 31/33(GMA 3100) Pixel Shader 1.0,Vertex Shader 0.0
    RAM:2GB @ 400Mhz
    HD:Seagate 320 GB

Please Help...!!!!!!!
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

Seems like dvk's tips fixed it for me, at least I havent CTD'd at the end of battles yet. Even massive ones. Thanks!

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

OPs problems have been resolved - closed.

Enjoy the game.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here