Thread: Rome / missile units

Default Rome / missile units

Hello guys

Maybe i missed something of course, but which buildings give you an ability to recruit archers?

Default Re: Rome / missile units

As Rome? You can recruit Celtic Archers (not sure about the name) in the Italian regions just below the Alps, after you have constructed one of the roman colonization buildings. Talking about regions as Mediolanum, Taurasia etc. You can also make use of the mercenary Slinger units that are often available.

cretan archers from Tarentum, awesome

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disc?

But any kind of legionnaire archers?

Roman Legionary soldiers were no archers. They had auxiliary units for that.

Dont get word picky, you perfectly know what i am asking, are there Legionnaire / Auxiliary archers around BESIDES Region based units such as Cretian archers.

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    Dont get word picky, you perfectly know what i am asking, are there Legionnaire / Auxiliary archers around BESIDES Region based units such as Cretian archers.
    I'm not ''word picky'', I was assuming you meant legionary soldiers as archers. I'm not entirely sure if there are ''standard'' auxiliary archers, but I believe there are only the local units. But they are really all that you need, and it's nice to have a variety of different archers in your armies.

there are auxilliary archers just go see the preview for proof.

Yea but those are also regional units as far as I know.

that's what auxilia is: regional troops. no generic 'roman archers' around, just plenty of barbarians and greeks who'll do the job for you. (and cheap as well, i find )

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disc?

After the when you've had the Marian reforms and built the barracks in a region to a high enough level (to simulate Augustus' reforms), Syrian auxiliary archers in the form of Cohors I Damascenorum Sagittariorum become almost universally available.
    But pre-marian romans don't get a generic "Roman archer" like the ones in Vanilla RTW - you do get locally available Cretans and Celts, though, as well as Balearic slingers.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Thanks for clear replies.