101 34.01%
  • Just right

110 37.04%
  • Too few

10 3.37%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Number of stacks in zero turn

Default Number of stacks in zero turn

Please post your opinions about numbers of stacks in 0 turn mode.

I'm willing to upload an alternative EDU (unit costs and stats file) that will increase unit upkeep slightly if loads of people think there are too many stacks in zero turn mode.
    Last edited by tone; September 06, 2010 at 02:42 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Number of stacks in zero turn

Three or four half-sized stacks of fairly good quality troops for me every turn so far in my Sparta campaign, hasn't been too bad so far. I've seen double that in RS1.6 before.

Delysid's Avatar Tiro

I would very much appreciate a more expensive unit cost and upkeep edu.
    0 turn recruitment is nice but it can get tedious fighting what seems like the same battle over and over again when facing stack spams.
    Also 1 turn recruitment campaigns don't feel quite as epic.
    A nice middle ground is what I'm after, still 0 turn just the number of stacks turned down a tad
    Caledonian Campaign submod for RS2.5 CLICK HERE!

Where does the AI get all the manpower from to make all those stacks (i play on huge) or are you throwing +money +troop spawn and +population scripts at it (I thought RS was not going the script way http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post2439958 ) combined with the don't rush the AI house rule you putting lots of constraints on the player its as if AI and we play a totally different game. thats just like any other mod out there trying to solve the stupid AI by burying it under piles of script

Same here, i would love to see higher recruitment costs and higher upkeep. At the moment the game is still too easy, i can field without problems massive armies, perhaps double the recruitment and upkeep costs?

The next thing is the 0 turn recruitment thing, i like the epic feeling, but on the other hand it makes the game more easier. You can easily recruit a full army in the cities when your last army got destroyed. If there would be an 1 turn recruitment you would have plan much more into the future.

I also want the EDU file .I think that less stacks will actually improve the mod greatly.It will make the battles more decisive .If we got a stack spam the battles feel like exterminating insects rather than achieving a glorious victory.

I would also very appreciate the EDU. In RS 1.6, one could find 40+ Parthian full stacks controlling the Middle East in the middle of the game. I had to use EDU submod to regulate it. I'm not so advanced in RS II campaign right now, so I really don't know. But I think you should do it.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by k1ller1988 View Post
    I also want the EDU file .I think that less stacks will actually improve the mod greatly.It will make the battles more decisive .If we got a stack spam the battles feel like exterminating insects rather than achieving a glorious victory.
    I agree whole heartedly, this amount of enormous and tedious battles every turn detracts from the entire experience

too many, yes

triple recruitment but leave upkeep where it is or just deprive the AI of the bonus
    (as an optional submod)

elite units fewer, peasants more. easier game if you choose to exploit the AI's stupidity, more fun and rewarding to defeat an enemy army

raising an army should be a huge undertaking, very expensive. once you have it, it shouldnt grind your economy to a halt. beat the AI fair and square, be rid of them for a while. blitz or don't blitz at your own leisure

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disc?

Peasants and weaker units should be 0-turn, elite units 1-turn.

M2 got this almost perfectly solved (you have 1 to 5 recuitment slots). Also with the time it took to replenish units. But this is Rome unfortunately.

I wish I could vote, I'd say there's too many.

Does it work well to have certain land units one-turn?
    Last edited by Arcadia; September 06, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

I remember this exact conversation in the beta. It's completely a matter of taste. I think it's just about right, but then again, I grew accustomed to it.

Velico's Avatar Biarchus

I voted too many. I've expressed my concerns about this in beta forum, mainly the annoyance of utterly slaughtering a (or several) full stack and having them immediately recover in a few turns. It would be cool, although I don't know if it's possible, to have a penalty system for the AI forcing them to wait a few turns before they can recruit again.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired.
    RS II - Beta Tester, VVV:TW Historical Researcher

I can't vote for now, but i have to say that they are too many. Unfortunately many of us don't have the time to fight many battles each turn, or don't like this setting (and don't like 1 turn recruitment). Since some people like this setting, it would be a good thing to create in the future two different version for the 0 turn recruitment (maybe that can be chosen in the launcher), one with lower armies.
    In the meanwhile an edu with increased cost/upkeep can be a good thing.

Far too many, IMO. Fighting the Romans takes too much energy.

Way too many. The romans manage to bring up 2-3 stacks each turn >

too few ! i acutally voted for perfect amount though. As long as the new edu is optional i don't mind

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Too few unless you let the AI get to big, IE: macedon and its lol elite stacks. Way too many to count for me.But regardless its about right, increase upkeep for units and all but other then that its good.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Valiant The Brave's Avatar Decanus

I found 6 stacks of Arverni in the forests but the roman price = good because i do not gain much money

'They thought i was stupid but i proved them' Phillip J. Fry
    Futurama, mine favorite show!

Correction, It is now My Little Pony.

What I'll do is create an optional EDU that increases the costs for those that find the stacks too many....obviously it'll be a bit of a beta and may need further tweaking. Look out for it later this week / at the weekend (really busy with work this week so unable to do anything before that).

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast