Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Was feanor evil?

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Was feanor evil?

Feanor was sort of like an express train; not in himself evil but once he heads in a particular direction and gains momentum, he's almost impossible to stop, no matter what gets in the way. Also, in a way, the silmarils were like the Ring, in that their power was so great that they could drive even the strongest wills to do terrible things, even against their better judgement.
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

thats an interesting thought, but the silmarils were self concious in a limited way and pure, thus them hurting beings of evil but not those who are good. i.e. beren luthien, morgoth having a screaming headache 24/7 while wearing them.
    lust for they're beauty was all that drove people to want them. that and the curse of mandos that becamse so wrapped up in they're fate.

Feanor's decision to not use the silmarils to save the trees of light was a real dick move imo
    I think they only needed one or two silmarils, so he'd still be left with one, and everyone would be praising him for saving the world from darkness
    then theres the whole kinslaying and burning of the boats and such...

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Harabec View Post
    Feanor's decision to not use the silmarils to save the trees of light was a real dick move imo
    I think they only needed one or two silmarils, so he'd still be left with one, and everyone would be praising him for saving the world from darkness
    then theres the whole kinslaying and burning of the boats and such...
    He did not refuse to hand over the Silmarils: Morgoth slayed his father and took them before he could make a decision.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

I remember it differently, but read it so long ago I could be wrong. At the least he was seriously considering not handing them over.

Feanor wasn't gonna give up the silmarils unless he was forced. (He said so when questioned after the tress died).

Anyway, no i would not Feanor was evil. He's actions were at best, questionable, at worst truly horrid, but from his own point of view, the others had all betrayed him.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Feanor wasn't gonna give up the silmarils unless he was forced. (He said so when questioned after the tress died).

Anyway, no i would not Feanor was evil. He's actions were at best, questionable, at worst truly horrid, but from his own point of view, the others had all betrayed him.
    feanor is perhaps the greatest tragedy of the noldor. had he been able to restrain his wrath they would have been able to present a united front and perhaps the wars against angband would have gone alittle better

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Harabec View Post
    I remember it differently, but read it so long ago I could be wrong. At the least he was seriously considering not handing them over.
    It's not mentioned (at least, not in the Dutch version) for when Aulë says: 'wait, he hasn't decided yet' messengers arrive carrying word of the theft of the Silmarils, giving Fëanor no choice at all.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyman View Post
    feanor is perhaps the greatest tragedy of the noldor. had he been able to restrain his wrath they would have been able to present a united front and perhaps the wars against angband would have gone alittle better
    Don't think so to be entirely honest, he had a vision on his deathbed, that they would never succeed without help. I think it would apply if he had restrained himself too

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Don't think so to be entirely honest, he had a vision on his deathbed, that they would never succeed without help. I think it would apply if he had restrained himself too
    you misread me.
    i did'nt say they would have won. i said they would have gone a little better. i.e. perhaps not every last single kingdom would have been burnt and crushed by the time the valar showed up.

Oh my bad :p well, who knows? they might not have come at all, as what happened in the silmarillion wouldn't have happened in that "alternative" timeline.

The Edain's Avatar Vicarius

Feanor, I wouldn't say he was evil as such. He was a genius amoung elves, one of the most powerful and gifted to ever of existed, but due to this he was over-confident and arrogant. A flawed man, with his pride in his work over-shadowing anything else such as logic, it lead to major events like the Kin-slaying and the burning of the ships.

I'd say a flawed, confused and mentally unstable man; Not evil per say.
    |Windows 7 user||College Student|
    |Anime Fan||Xbox 360 Owner|Photoshop user|

getting slain by even an army of balrogs still sucks when your babybrother scared the out of one of the most powerful Valar AND his entire army, including all his damned balrogs, and went on to chop that Valars foot off. Balrogs aren't all that badass, a single human can kill them.

I think this pretty much sums it up:

Quote Originally Posted by Namorath View Post
    he was not evil, he was just an arrogant dickhead

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCharger View Post
    getting slain by even an army of balrogs still sucks when your babybrother scared the out of one of the most powerful Valar AND his entire army, including all his damned balrogs, and went on to chop that Valars foot off. Balrogs aren't all that badass, a single human can kill them.

I think this pretty much sums it up:
    ]single human killed balrog when?

Vaul's Avatar Miles

Everybody says that he was not evil, but rather flawed, arrogant, impulsive, cruel, brilliant but misguided etc...

What's the difference between that and evil, really? Broadly speaking, we're talking about the same flaws of character that facilitates "evil", as an effect of an action rather that the cause...

Sauron wants to take over the world - evil motivation
    Sauron kills people - evil action (by most standards)
    People are dead because of Sauron - evil effect of an action

Feanor wants his Silmarils back - good motivation?
    Feanor kills people (not counting orcs, they deserve it) -
    People are dead -

Can we really take the risk of loose standards when considering evil?

delra's Avatar Praepositus

I think Silmarils would burn his hand if he ever got them back. Anyone disagrees? :-)

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

They did burn the hands of Maglor and Maedhros, didn't they?
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Yup, they had to throw them away which is among lamest endings of books I've ever read. ;-)

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Yup, they had to throw them away which is among lamest endings of books I've ever read. ;-)
    I think only Maeglor threw his away while Maeglin jumped in a volcano
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

Maeglin was already died long ago. Maedhros.
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.