Thread: Hot air ballons in battles?

Default Hot air ballons in battles?

Alright when I was in austri defending those slackers from naploens rampage "He had just taken VIenna" I noticed a hot air ballon just floating in the sky. then I noticed the french had out flanked me. The second time I fought him I noticed an Icon under his potrait in the little screen that always comes up before a battle and there was a picture of a hot air ballon there. DOes anyone know what this means? Can I get hot air ballons in my battles?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Hot air ballons in battles?

Only the french can get them. They are an ancilliary.
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; September 05, 2010 at 01:03 PM.

oh thats cool.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

THEMIK DK's Avatar Senator

so what is they for and what do they do?

A 1500-1680 Total War FTW!!!

You can deploy second even if the enemy general has more stars then yours.
    Officer to a soldier who refuses to fight: There three types of soldiers who don't have to fight. They are called KIA, MIA and POW and you are not one of them.

Tosa will be missed.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

+10% veiwing distance on the campaign map too.

Foederatus

I thought only Napoleon could get these, and he has loads O' stars anyway.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by UFOash View Post
    I thought only Napoleon could get these, and he has loads O' stars anyway.
    French Generals can get them. Davout has been given one in my campaign.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    French Generals can get them. Davout has been given one in my campaign.
    Oh Okay

Amazing Horse's Avatar Civis

Oh, those French and their silly balloons!

♔Mandelus♔'s Avatar Campidoctor

The balloon shows you the enemy deployment before battle starts ... and now:
    Think about having a balloon in the MP too ...

The first rule then will be at battles "no ing balloons"!

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):
    http://www.totalwar-zone.de/forum/in...39807329133e3f

Death smiles at us all, the only thing you could do is smile back!
    Mark Aurel, Roman General and Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Moorish guy View Post
    Alright when I was in austri defending those slackers from naploens rampage "He had just taken VIenna" I noticed a hot air ballon just floating in the sky. then I noticed the french had out flanked me. The second time I fought him I noticed an Icon under his potrait in the little screen that always comes up before a battle and there was a picture of a hot air ballon there. DOes anyone know what this means? Can I get hot air ballons in my battles?
    This is a small bonus added in for realism, it is an ancillary which Napoleon has at the start of each campaign and other French generals must earn. The hot air balloons allow the general to always deploy first and to always be able to see where the other general is deploying. This is somewhat historically accurate, although, strictly speaking they should not be available in the Egyptian of European campaigns. This is as the French Balloon Corps was disbanded in 1799, by Napoleon. More info on this topic can be seen here.
    Proud to be a Duffer...and all that.
    Formerly Known as Le Chevalier Mal Fet.
    God save the Queen!
    "Nothing except a battle lost can be half as melancholy as a battle won."-Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington.

"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him. "-Winston Churchill, British parliamentarian.

I will only finally remark that in origin Napoleon seriously thought about to use a thousand balloons to invade Great Britain. But this was of course cancelled then ... for example of the mostly running western winds ...

Senior Moderator and Staff Member of the large German Totalwar-Zone (over 11.000 members):

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    I heard the French Balloon program was called off because if the inability of the French to control their "hot air" emanating from every orifice?
    and all that.
    There were several reasons mate and this was also one. teh next one was that they had no resources to make so many balloons in such a short time and many other points too at least ...

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Mandelus♔ View Post
    I will only finally remark that in origin Napoleon seriously thought about to use a thousand balloons to invade Great Britain. But this was of course cancelled then ... for example of the mostly running western winds ...
    So has a balloon ever been used to assault a position even just as a covert raid ... I saw a movie once where some German commandos used a hot air balloon to try to capture the PM but I wonder does anyone know if one was ever done?