Thread: Whats he main differences between this and EB?

Default Whats he main differences between this and EB?

I am thinking of trying out this mod but am struggling to see the difference between this and EB?
    can someone who has played both please tell me what is different, and which mod they prefer, thanks!

Default Re: Whats he main differences between this and EB?

I see, read the Features list in the release thread and tell me which ones EB has? I'll bet you it's not all of them. Also, look at the screenshots in the myriad preview threads (in the RS II Previews subforum) and feel your jaw drop.
    Also, on a more trivial note, since EB stops at 14 AD, you don't get any cool segmentata-equipped legionnaires, or loads of different auxiliary units (playing as Rome) - for me, personally, that's a deal-breaker.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Well, I haven't installed the RS 2.0 yet, the final preparations are being finished as we speak but from I know from playing RS 1.6 it most definitely the best and most polished mod for RTW. The graphics, graphics detail and quality, the historical content, the game-play, etc, there is just too much stuff to mention and all that put together makes RS to be the best of the best. Not taking credit from EB whatsoever, it's just that EB lost it's way somewhere along the road to perfection and it never got there. The RS 2.0 made it!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

I believe this starts in 216 BC, and Eb in 272, and in those years many different things happened, changing and influencing the world. There are many different things in both because of this, the campaign map, units, factions etc in between all those years, and so both have different potential.
    That's my answer without trying to compare who is best, but what the difference between both are, because best is for you to independently judge. EB and RS are very different and very similar in many ways, and people like both for various reasons.
    Rest in peace, Calvin.
    (28th April, 1975 - 28th October, 2009)

From a purely gameplay perspective, Roma Surrectum tends to have a faster pace than Europa Barbarorum on the strategic level. Zero-turn recruitment results in a greater number of enemy armies, and even if you use 1-turn recruitment, your armies--and those of your enemy--can still move much further. As such, the AI has a habit of expanding significantly faster in RS than it does in EB.

Battle-wise, on the tactical level... eh, in my limited experience, Roma Surrectum's battles tend to last somewhat longer than EB's. I haven't, nor shall I, perform an exhaustive morale comparison between equivalent units, but a cursory examination suggests that RS units have significantly greater morale than an equivalent unit in EB. Polybian Triarii, for example, have 14 morale in EB, while they have 23 in RS. I suspect that holds true across the board for equivalent units.

Still, both are fantastic mods, no doubt, and there's no reason why you couldn't play and enjoy both.

Though, I must say that, from personal experience, jumping from EB's fairly leisurely pace to RS' comparatively frantic pace can be a bit jarring at first.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

EB has much longer battles and much more depth. EB tries to recreate almost everything that acutally happened as it hapened and has an awe inspiring battle system. It also gives a freakishly long essay on anything that you build/recruit/crap watever. But you should not compare the two since they have a different focus and moders have a policy of not comparing their mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Stop Comparing mods

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

both mods are excellent... both have revolutionised the old game, hard to say the difference, in any case Roma Surectum II is definitely worth playing because it differs from Europa Barbarorum...

I can say that the starting treasury and economic system is better because factions avoid bankrupcy through some very smart means... also there are some trully awesome units like Thracian Elite Rhomphaiophoroi that uses it's weapon, the rhomphaia both as a spear and sword (spear in deffensive formation and sword while charging and in offensive formation)...

this unit is trully unique and I am proud to tell you that I had a word or two to say in it's development amongst other guys... also Dacians are much closer to the real deal than in Europa Barbarorum, if you like falxmen... there is a good mix of powerful falxmen in Roma Surrectum and Dacia it's worth giving a try... if you like fast and mobile warfare... blitzkrieg in one word...

I can't pronounce myself about the other factions but all have excellent units... Europa Barbarorum was good too don't get me wrong but Roma Surectum is something else!
    Last edited by Visarion; September 05, 2010 at 02:28 PM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Play them both and make up your own mind. Each person can get something different from any mod. Repeat after me: "We are all individuals"......

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Roma Surrectum 2 all day! And Stainless Steel!

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

EB has a slower pace, and a mesmerizing historical atmosphere.
    RS has the strong graphics and quick gameplay.

mattgoby's Avatar Campidoctor

Personally the main difference for me is the mapping on this is so much better
    "some people say the iraq war is unnessasary, however i disagree its good practise in case one comes along that we need to fight, just in case the germans have another go"-AL MURRAY

"us british our world war champions of the world"-AL MURRAY

I'm going to close this thread as these things so easily get out of hand.

Bottom line is this....both mods have their strengths and weaknesses (RS2 has plenty of weaknesses and ways that it falls short of EB), so just try them both. Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference, although some people end up playing more than one mod to enjoy the strengths of each.

...an Rory, I could easily list the features of EB and ask which of those RS2 has.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.