Thread: Map and building shadows flashes

Skoran's Avatar Civis

Default Map and building shadows flashes

I have a steam install of RTW gold edition (so RTW and BI in 1)

I installed EB II in a seperate folder in that RTW folder and copy/pasted all files to the main RTW folder. I set my parameters in steam and the game starts up nice and smooth.
    Everything seemed to work perfectly (except my eyes screaming in agony because of the colours that came from bloom :p) and I can fight battles but when I do my map (small one at the bottom) flashes. I keep seeing the arrows from the troops but the texture of the map becomes black (happens like 5 - 6 times every second).

The same happens with the shadows from buildings (and buildings only). The shadows disappear and appear constantly.

Here are my sys specs:

GIGA-BYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
    AMD Phenom II Quad 955 3.2 ghz
    2 x GIGA-BYTE RADEON HD5770 1024 mb (in crossfire)
    KINGSTON ValueRam 4096 mb

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: Map and building shadows flashes

It's known as 'artifacing' - for whatever reason your card is stuggling to handle the graphics.

Despite it being a decent card RTW is a very old game and it probably not using your card properly - so you can't do much about that.

The other thing may be that the version of drivers for the card are not suited to the game. Either use the most recent one or an older one. Some drivers don't work well with games. Does this happen with other RTW mods?

One thing you can do is to disable the bloom effect - see if it makes any difference in the battles by toggling it of - the following explains howe to do that.

"Another problem with the bloom is that the UI is too bright. You can disable it for the campaign map using shift+f12, and re-enable it for battle with the same keys. "

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Skoran's Avatar Civis

I already disabled the bloom, so thats not the problem.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

If you don't have bloom then it's your card playing up.

Check your drivers, play with your graphic settings (turn them down) and check for overheating.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Skoran's Avatar Civis

I tried all settings: from very low to very high.
    I disabled bloom, set vegetation to low and disabled high res textures.

Well my normal shadows are fixed, but my map keeps flashing. The game itself runs very smooth btw, only my map flashes.

I'm not sure that RTW really like SLI/Crossfire. Just have a look at how it was (is?) buggy in ETW, a game created before it existed can't be best at this.

same thing happens to me...well...sort of...some things flash...like coast(as u explained before), trees ect...ive tried on radeon 1600xt and on gt250...it didnt do that on vanilla...i played with settings...no bloom makes thing better...but still...
    anyway its a small matter...great mod...thx