Thread: Why don't my adaject armies reinforce in the battle?

Default Why don't my adaject armies reinforce in the battle?

Is it because I have to change my preferences file to allow 'unlimited troops on the battlefield"? Its strange, my reinforcements never arrive, its always, "they are delayed?". I see that I can change my preferences file in any of my campaigns to allow unlimited men on the battlefield, but I'm worried the game might not be balanced for that. Is it ok if I do that?
    Last edited by smartspick; September 05, 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Default Re: Why don't my adaject armies reinforce in the battle?

Im fairly certain its just a random occurance.

It's not random. You have to allow "unlimited men on the battlefield" to have adjacent armies always reeinforce each other.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers

Its mainly due to the specs of your pc and whether the game thinks its powerful enough to have X number of units on the field. You can modify the peferences file but another option which came up in the beta testing was to withdraw units such as missile units (archers, peltasts, horse archers) once they have run out of ammo and that will allow your re-inforcements to enter the battle. That will depend on how the battles playing out and how long will it take for the reinforcements to enegage the enemy, so you might not have that option. I've found that certain horse archer units once they're out of ammo are pretty handy even against heavy armoured cavalry and have come to the rescue quiet a few times.
    Last edited by TTRouble; September 05, 2010 at 06:35 AM.

I have a very powerful computer, so I'm just going to change the preferences file

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Glad someone brought this up as I did the same thing and changed the preference file.

However, the problem I'm running into, is that I can't control those reinforcements since my unit cards seem to be maxed out in the interface, So the question I have is there anyway around that, so that you can control the reinforcements? or you have to depend on the AI for that? Or maybe perhaps another additional setting in the perference files I got to look at?

thanks,

If you have 20 units in the army you are commanding personally there is no more room for the other units for you to control directly. There is a tick box just before the battle where you can control if the reinforcements are controlled by the ai or not, but if you already have 20 units you will only have indirect control, you will only be able to tell the re-inforcing army to be either attacking, defensive and maybe another option which i cant remember.

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    If you have 20 units in the army you are commanding personally there is no more room for the other units for you to control directly. There is a tick box just before the battle where you can control if the reinforcements are controlled by the ai or not, but if you already have 20 units you will only have indirect control, you will only be able to tell the re-inforcing army to be either attacking, defensive and maybe another option which i cant remember.
    Yea, I figured as much because of that 20 limit unit, in fact my Army only had 19 units, and only the General from the other side was the only unit I was able to control.

So I think you need to have the exact free space to control the other armies.

Which is a shame, because the battle I just did now against the roman rebels and it's 6 star command leader, would have probably went a lot differently if I was able to control the other army. (Jesus, I'm losing a lot, I think I'm like 1 and 3 in my battles so far, on H/H, keeps going like this I may cave to M battlefield/H campaign, lol)

But it is, what it is, so thanks.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

If you let the AI control your reinforcing army I don't think you have any control over it - whatsoever.

I've seen the AI take control of a nicely balanced Macedonian army (phaanx, hoplites, archers, cavalry and general) and run them across the map to engage the AI. The first to hit the opposing phalanx was my archers who didn't even pause to fire a single arrow before they impaled themselves onto the sarissas..... The cavalry and general did a bit of damage before they were killed. It wasn't this mod but I've never allowed the AI to take control of an army since - and that was four or more years ago!

The only way I'd do that is if the reinforcing army was all heavy infantry....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    If you let the AI control your reinforcing army I don't think you have any control over it - whatsoever.

I've seen the AI take control of a nicely balanced Macedonian army (phaanx, hoplites, archers, cavalry and general) and run them across the map to engage the AI. The first to hit the opposing phalanx was my archers who didn't even pause to fire a single arrow before they impaled themselves onto the sarissas..... The cavalry and general did a bit of damage before they were killed. It wasn't this mod but I've never allowed the AI to take control of an army since - and that was four or more years ago!

The only way I'd do that is if the reinforcing army was all heavy infantry....
    Yea, problem is, because of the 20 limit unit stack, your forced to have the AI control the 2nd army, which is why I was hoping there was a way around that, but it doesn't seem there is.

For example, I tried surrounding a massive stack of 3600 Roman Rebels (With a 6 star commander), with about 4800 Roman Infantry units, around 3200 that I controlled, and 1700 coming in as reinforcements. The problem was, since I already hit the 20 unit stack (well actually 19), my reinforcements will still be stuck at the far end of the map, so by the time my main unit engages the enemy, and starts to take losses, it's pretty much to late for reinforcements, as they still gotta trek all the way across to the battlefield. Even then it was little out of whack, as some my units retreated, thus more slots opened up in the my interface, but they weren't being filled by the reinforcements.