Thread: First RS 2 Battle ARR

Default First RS 2 Battle ARR

Me: Roman Army Gaius Flaminius Nepos 3399 men
    Enemy: Carthage Hannibal 3793 men

I started out with just skirmishers. Using the unit of slingers to hit there skirmishers. It was working until the they ran out of rocks... Manged to significantly reduce the enemy's capability to hit my infantry, or so i thought. Started to advance my troops and more showed up, they where hiding. So when I advance they just jumped up and started throwing javelins at me. So i stopped my legionnaires and tossed a few pila at them, causing them to break and fall back.

We stood about 50 yards apart staring at each other. I then brought my right flank forward and engaged on the right. They swarmed me with cav. So i sent my cav and hit them in the rear. At that time I ordered my inf to engage to center while the left stood fast. So about 5 inf/3 cav on the right. 5 inf. in the center 3 inf on the left and 3 triari and the general in reserve. At that time Hannibal charged in and attacked my center. Seeing a chance I charged my left to disrupt his flank and tie it down and charged my reserves in. After 15 minutes I had manged to encircle him and the remainder of 2 spear units. However my right flank was in shambles, at least the cav. Out of the 3 units i had maybe enough to make 3/4th of a unit. I withdrew that to rest. The battle dragged on and finally about 40 minutes in i had killed Hannibal and collapsed his center, but at great cost. My right was faltering and my left was in decent shape, since he made the center the weakest. I pulled back my center a bit, about 20 yards to reform. I then charged the right with 2 inf, at that time fresh troops the Ai had been sitting on appeared out of hiding and charged my exhausted center. Which held firmly under the generals encouragements.

My right flank got charge by some naked [and you guys mean naked] fanatics. And proptly collapsed. To save them i charge the rest of my cav in and briefly held the line, just long enough for my general and the left and center to fall back. Unfortunately my cav was wiped out.

I stood there surveying the battlefield. While I felt that my men would fight on, and with the men of the right rallying, I might be able to achieve victory, but then I looked at how few men really remained and decided I had one a strategic victory by killing Hannibal but had lost the battle and retreated.

Edit Roman Army losses 2221\ Carthage 2095
    Last edited by 0bliviousCaboose; September 04, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

withfriend2's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: First RS 2 Battle ARR

hannibal is tough and you did a great job. nice aar :

Dude. I got 100mb's left to download and I would have really enjoyed a new screeny... But nice AAR, nice to see the balanced casualties as well =D

Quote Originally Posted by Capital View Post
    Dude. I got 100mb's left to download and I would have really enjoyed a new screeny... But nice AAR, nice to see the balanced casualties as well =D
    Tried to attach a few but the forum said they were invalid.

Best to use something like FRAPS or Howie's Screencap, then upload as .jpg files to imageshack or photobucket then post the links from there (you can bulk convert from .bmp files to .jpg using something like DDS converter or another free bulk image converter)

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

okay tone. Thanks