Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite Book

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Least Favorite Book

Well, there is a favorite book thread, now time for a least favorite book thread.

Anyway, my 3 least favorite books are
    1. The House of Seven Gables, by Nathanial Hawthorne
    2. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
    3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

And all of them, not surprisingly (and unfortunately), I had to read for school.

I think this should belong in the Arts For.......oh wait. That's not set up yet

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

The Awakening
    Catcher in the Rye
    Bean Tree
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Hrm, I pretty much anything by John Steinbeck. I realize he is called one of the better authors of the 20th century, and is acclaimed to have really shown the the tragedy of the Great depression in his writings....but honestly...

He. Bores. Me. To. Tears.

Also, as much as I love the universe, most of the Warhammer 40k books are less than satisfactory. The setting makes an amazing game world, but it is hard to write in.

I despise this book so much I won't even give it the time of day on a forum post.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Romanos's Avatar Hey

-Outsiders: GOD it suck I had to read it for my english class last year,
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Worst book ever!

Quicksilver.

Written in the present tense, immensley hard going, tedious. Won all sorts of awards, I never made it past fifty pages.

Peter

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Four words: Catcher in the Rye. Why was I forced to read this completley pointless and a*** numbingly boring book?
    Then comes Cry, the Beloved Country. Again forced to read this piece of execrable writing by my English teacher. After reading Angels and Demons, a really fast-paced and very enjoyable book (better than the Da Vinci Code, IMO) I settled down to read this thing. And every page felt as though it was like a sheet of lead. From the unending descriptive passages, to the cr**** dialogue, by the end of it I felt like shoving sharp objects up my rectum to relieve the boredom.
    And finally, Une vie by Guy de Maupassant. A neverending story of lies and cheating and disappointement. Sheer bl**dy misery
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rome ac
    -Outsiders: GOD it suck I had to read it for my english class last year,
    I read that book for school two years ago and loved it. Why do you dislike it so much?

It's odd that I can't really give a name of a book that I did not like... Each book I've read has its own soul to it. I can't really think of anything that I didn't like, just books that I liked less than others.

Bean Trees would have to be somewhere on the list. It isn't a particularly good book, but it isn't a bad one either. It's got some good parts even though the writing in it is miserable and child-like.

Hmmmm... I didn't particularly enjoy the Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald... Although the writing was clear, concise, and well-developed, the theme didn't really hit heart. Great book, though, all themes aside.

I don't know why some of you don't like Catcher in the Rye. Sure, it might be a teen book, but Salinger did an incredible job with elements of nostalgia, and even though I could not relate to the character, I could very well enjoy the scope of the story's message.
    Last edited by Siblesz; December 01, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

What message? I can write a bunch of random unconnected thoughts with no point and publish it as a classic, too. Where's the fun in reading a book where nothing happens?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Anything by Rezun.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    What message? I can write a bunch of random unconnected thoughts with no point and publish it as a classic, too. Where's the fun in reading a book where nothing happens?
    That's the essence of it. There is no real plot. But the message is very clear to me. It's a narration of a struggling youth in his phase of maturing. As unconnected as the thoughts seem to be, they all point to a certain direction: change and self-actualization. The book's genius comes with its simplicity and its relation to most developing youths.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Cry, the Beloved Country - Alan Paton
    Nectar in a Sieve - Kamala Markandaya

ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    It's the literary equivalent of Zabriskie Point(less).
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

To Kill a Mockingbird

hands down
    it sucks
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

spot the dog.

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

I have to go wiht to kill a mockingbird too. i als oremeber reading this book back in middle school called The View From Saturday. it was terrible all that happened was every chapter wwas a flashback of something that happened, followed by a flashback of that event, and so on for like 250 pages. I nearly burned the darn thing

Although it supposedly has good lessons, "To kill a Mockingbird" is a classic bore. Reading it was more like a bad acid trip to me. Harper Lee must have had some bad acid when she wrote that...

Emperor Dimitricus's Avatar Royal Corps Of Signals

okay spot the dog is actually quite good. i just read one of the books.
    i would have to say that anything by charles dickens is crap. whats that one with pippin? i cant remember the name of it, but i had to read it for school once. now im all for descriptive writing, but he just describes every little thing and it gets so tedious!

i think to kill a mockingbird has been nominated as worst book in history by us
    if you dont think it has. then i know nominate it
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast