Thread: Friendly Fire

Foederatus

Default Friendly Fire

Being a person who really likes archers and alot of them i find myself in a difficult position when ive lost 100 men and the enemy hasnt killed anyone. Any ideas would be much apreciated on this matter. I seriously hate firendly fire

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

i would think that to avoid freindly fire in a battle you should set your archers in front of your main battleline. put them on skirmish mode and if you can set their arrows on fire to infict fear. MAke sure that your archers can easily retreat through your lines though or chpas will ensue. For example dont have your phalanxes in phalanx mode when your archers are trying to retreat behind them. it will just mess up your battleline and let the enemy come in way too close. after your archers retreat back keep your infantry line on gaurd mode so they wont chase your enemy down. the enemy may rout away but many units will come back under your archer fire for another round. This may extend your battles but will infict more causlties on your opponents and reduce the freindly fire you take. If your gaul and havfe foresters, just keep them in front because they will paint the ground with arrows and if on fire they will scare everyone away usually before they come into contact.

GORE's Avatar Decanus

i myself like to use alot of archers (4-6 units). my tactic is to set them a considerable distance behind my main battle line of the heaviest units, then box them in on the flanks with light infantry and horses (sometimes i skirmish to begin with, but not archers with long range). that should reduce casualties as there not shooting friendlies in the back, to reduce friendly fire further i disable fire at will and manually attack units at the enemies rear when they charge, until they flee when i activate fire at will again. if your main battle line is strong enough you shouldnt have to worry about the line breaking, except if a high rank general charges your line, but you should see that coming and easily deal with it.

if you like archers as much as i do you wont mind babysitting them, i hate units leaving formation.
    Always Outnumbered...Never Outmaneuvered

Foederatus

Well actually i ment like turning the aspect of friendly fire off,( kinda like you turn off infinite ammo or fatigue in the files)

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

If you're playing unpatched vanilla then friendly fire is a :wub:...

Upgrade to 1.2 or 1.3 and it should go down a fair amount... And you can play a mod and take it down even more...

And if its the frinedly fire of tightly packed horse archers then spread them a bit...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat