Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

It was.

But he should have learned by now that the best tool to incapacitate a TWD Zombie is a moderately sharp stick, not a gun. :

Mixed feelings, but overall I like where this is headed. I enjoyed the down-tempo pace and the relative quiet and emptiness...'twas a nice shift, and I even thought Carl's storyline was just this side of believable. Dude is justifiably stressed and scared, his Dad might be dying, and with his discovering the upstairs boy-cave I can see a relapse into 'typical sulky teen' behavior as a reasonable, if not entirely appropriate, temporary coping mechanism. I like that it's probably resolved, and this aspect of his character might become less annoying in future episodes.

When Carl walked backwards down the deserted suburban street luring the gruesome twosome away from their shelter, my first thought was "my, this whole not watching where you're going bit sure is effective for building tension. They've got me worried he'll stumble into another walker...but that'd just be too easy!" I was wrong. No gimmick's too easy in this show!

My gripes were typical: How many months/years of survival before Carl starts carrying a friggin hunting knife...let alone some other, more effective hand weapon (or 3)?! Why lure two zombies down the street, into who knows what situation, when it'd be pretty easy to dispatch them with a little patience, planning and cunning? Where's the attention to first aid...even if you 'don't care' if Dad dies, you should care if he dies and you're ignorant of his status! I know Carl's not in a good place mentally, but still. These are common sense considerations.

Once again, Michonne kicks ass. For all I care she could carry on in the absence of everyone else, and the show might even be better for it.
    Giving tax breaks to the wealthy, is like giving free dessert coupons to the morbidly obese.

IDIOT BASTARD SON of MAVERICK

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Why on earth he would behave like a primitive society child? He wasnt born into that world, all he knew in the majority of his life was the normal world. Ithinkthat was the whole point of the episode, showing that karl was still a teenage, with normal stuff going on, it wasnt by chance they put that scene with the playstation for example.
    I think kids would adapt faster to this new world than adults and that they wouldn't behave in such a bratty way (Carl sounded like a spoiled teen, who hates his father because he didn't get a Xbox One after they already gave him a PS4). Normally, he should be smarter & mentally more mature than average 21st century American boys. Besides that, does his stupid trash talk match the rather reasonable character in the episodes 1 - 8 of the current season? Not really.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Carl was upset and in a very dark psychological place. His baby sister was missing and presumed dead, his home had been destroyed again, and he was getting used to no longer having a safe spot to sleep. As far as he knew, all their friends were dead. He had looked to Rick for security and Carl's faith in him had been shattered.

It's even more disturbing in the comics because Carl is only eight years old.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

More of the same as last week, simply telling us the story of the rest of them. I'm alright with the slow pace for now as long as they're building towards something. Also, someone seriously needs to shoot that bunny killing little girl before she kills someone important.

lol you dont even need to watch the episode anymore, just watch "Previously on the walking dead..." summary and you pretty much saved yourself 45 minutes.

It's a safe bet that Lizzie (the bunny killer) dissected the rat at the prison. She also makes it a point to weed out the weak party members. I think it's a matter of time before she kills her little sister.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Why is everyone in this show stupid?

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    So that a minority of the audience can get a false sense of superiority, and for the rest of the audience to be able to associate with the protagonists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Winner of this weeks. 'Mong of the week' award goes to Glen..

Glen standing in open doorway with sunlight pouring in, takes lamp off wall, closes door plunging corridor into darkness, lights lamp..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    Because they have to be in order to actually be in any danger from slow shambling zombies in groups of 5.

the actress who plays Tara is such eye candy, i'm glad her character is rapidly joining the main cast.
    they seem to have a nice pattern down of alternating between long-term shelter and the 'wilderness'.

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

My God, this episode was awful.... just... awful. The writing, the directing, the acting, the directing, the effects, the writing, the coreographies, the directing... just terrible, all of it.

I lost count of how many times I literaly threw my hands in the air. And yet, at some point I stoped hating it and started loving it, like one of those cheese B movies. I think this show just became "so bad it´s good" to me.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

It wasn't that bad, I enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to what the ending has presented.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Abraham, Eugene and Rosita! I had given up hope on seeing more characters from the comicbooks, I'm glad they're in.
    --------------Arengada--------------

Sicknero's Avatar Senator

I'm really enjoying the present comics arc. I thought it was going to be a tedious drag-out but it's pretty good.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Astonishing that they didn't guess that Negan had sent them a zombie though. Idiots lol.
    "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself ... always a laborious business." A. A. Milne

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

One of the best episodes yet. First 15-20 mins had the ticker pumping. Slowed down a bit after that but I'm definitely liking the current set up of a splintered group.

Trailer for next week looks equally nerve jangling..

Good episode. I thought there had been a suicide pact in the country club. From the Talking Dead episode, they say it was really the irate staff turning against the affluent members who had camped out there.

It was pretty good.I wonder if the season climax will be all meeting up at the end of the railroad tracks?

A new low for the show. Despite at least giving two important characters a chance to have some dialogue, an admirable and welcome change to the show, you have practically an entire show dedicated to the single pursuit of getting drunk. Wow, that's a real high priority in the zombie apocalypse.

When Beth decides to have typical spoiled college aged moment to indulge in getting a buzz, he looks at her in disgust. What could be less mature when they have immediate needs for fire, shelter, food, security, water acquisition, etc. Instead just as they have finally done things to improve their situation, she goes off on a wild rant about getting high. Wow, that's going to help.

In a real survival situation, since in the USA alcoholism is a major issue, the chance of finding ethanol in any quantity would be abysmally small. The folks who do not prepare in real life would suddenly realize they'd better prepare, and one pathetic aspect would be acquiring booze. Smart preppers would run down and acquire last minute purchases of ethanol as trade items. So instead of there being ethanol at a country club, that place wouldn't have a drop. It would likely have the least prepared people, only marginally wealthy folks with an ethanol supply that had most likely raided. Daryl would know this. Taking her there makes no sense to begin with, but wandering around in dark narrow corridors with potentially people/zombies and a zombie herd outside? Yeah right.

Ethanol provides calories. As such, you'd never ever waste it. Ethanol in the proof of moonshine is high enough to use to clean a wound. Ethanol as moonshine is high enough proof to make a Molotov cocktail. Why in the middle of the night would a prepper or survivalist ever depart and stumble in the woods, a classic tenderfoot error, with no true sense of observation, and burn down a defensible structure that's providing you with calories, medicine, and a weapon. Stupid x 100.

The writers could have had a great moving dialogue, let the characters relax because they stumble across some ethanol at an illegal still, get some calories since they can't find food, draw closer and take some comfort, then leave in the morning with some sense of renewed strength and a faltering optimism that if they made it, then maybe one or two others made it. Instead we have idiots burning down their structure like completely unprepared college students.

This show while it had enormous potential has demonstrated all of the things NOT to do to be a prepper/survivalist.
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...lypse_03032014

I would think some veterans would chime in because how in the world can you praise the show anymore since they have Daryl doing these kinds of things?
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 04, 2014 at 03:10 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

A new low for the show. Despite at least giving two important characters a chance to have some dialogue, an admirable and welcome change to the show, you have practically an entire show dedicated to the single pursuit of getting drunk. Wow, that's a real high priority in the zombie apocalypse.

When Beth decides to have typical spoiled college aged moment to indulge in getting a buzz, he looks at her in disgust. What could be less mature when they have immediate needs for fire, shelter, food, security, water acquisition, etc. Instead just as they have finally done things to improve their situation, she goes off on a wild rant about getting high. Wow, that's going to help.
    I'd say getting drunk would be a pretty normal thing to do in a zombie apocalypse. Most people can't be hell bent on survival 24/7. They are human and need to relax. Alcohol would greatly help with that.

Also lol at "Waste precious ethanol due to the calories" The negative consequences of 40% alcohol negate any real health benefits anyway. Its main use would be cleaning wounds.

But in a real survivor situation, people would not always be as rational as what the average TWD fan wants them to be. They burned down the house because they wanted to.

In a real survival situation, since in the USA alcoholism is a major issue, the chance of finding ethanol in any quantity would be abysmally small. The folks who do not prepare in real life would suddenly realize they'd better prepare, and one pathetic aspect would be acquiring booze. Smart preppers would run down and acquire last minute purchases of ethanol as trade items. So instead of there being ethanol at a country club, that place wouldn't have a drop. It would likely have the least prepared people, only marginally wealthy folks with an ethanol supply that had most likely raided. Daryl would know this. Taking her there makes no sense to begin with, but wandering around in dark narrow corridors with potentially people/zombies and a zombie herd outside? Yeah right.
    They found a bottle of liqour at an overran country club. How is that even slightly hard to believe? Do you really believe "smart preppers" would get hold of every bottle of liqour in Georgia? There must be millions of them.
    Last edited by Påsan; March 04, 2014 at 02:41 PM.