Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: The Walking Dead

It purely depends on taste. I wouldn't sit through any episode of Breaking Bad (and I watched it before it was cool to watch it), Prison Break or Lost (especially after such a stupid ending) but I'd watch BSG over and over and over again everyday.
    The Armenian Issue

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Merle, you glorious bastard!

Daryl, I cried too, man.

Indefinitely Banned

Watching the heads get smashed like they have no skull bone is getting silly.A head would not turn into goo this quickly.
    They have a X box game about this show I am starting to think I shall have to get it.Also the last episode is coming.I hope we get another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    Watching the heads get smashed like they have no skull bone is getting silly.A head would not turn into goo this quickly.
    They have a X box game about this show I am starting to think I shall have to get it.Also the last episode is coming.I hope we get another season.
    Here's how to kick it up a notch using realism, and still please the other folks who are not as demanding:

A good soldier studies anatomy either for field medic reasons or to become a better killer ala Terminator 2. Look at the skull's suture lines:
    Weak areas of the skull

There are four suture lines which come together in the temporal region of skull. A sharp blow to the side of the skull can easily cause an issue in a living human as it can crack in that area.

Likewise, a sharp thin object like an ice pike can penetrate the occipital region, an old mafia hit man plot device and actually used in history. The Brodmann areas of the brain for vision include one numbered 17, and this is in the occipital region. It's why a sharp blow to the head can cause not only a concussion, but visual issues.
    Brodmann areas of the brain

Hershel the veterinarian is an educated man. He should be explaining those sorts of things to most of the group. This means you could have blind walkers or kill them this way.

Rick is a sheriff. Daryl is a hunter. Of course a good marksman will shoot the area of the cheek and just below the eye as it will immediately kill. The bullet tends to strike the autonomic functions as it travels through the brain and into the areas of brainstem
    Brainstem a for sure kill shot

Rick should be talking tactics. We saw a couple of episodes where they dispersed as a group in a controlled manner in a hallway and even deploying in the field to maximally protect themselves and produce the most kills. More please. They have to train everyone to work that way as there probably won't be more bullets made without some discussion of reloading old brass.

Let the character's old skills come to use. This is far more interesting than trying to find some unique way of killing nonintelligent walkers who just shamble around. That's not scary.

Anyone who's read a lot of dystopian novels or is well read in general or been in the military or whatever knows that in any collapse of society, while the first desperate survivors are a threat (mostly due to lack of preparation of supplies and skills). The worse threat are the survivors who know skills and have supplies but are sociopathic in their hearts. In the collapse of society with an absense of rule of law, then the cultural norms change. This is being demonstrated by the Governor and his soldiers. There should be more well thought execution of those sociopaths as then they have more depth and can display more cunning.

One need not do a frontal assault of the prison. That's the way to ensure the highest amount of casualties in a world with few new soldiers and maybe a few civilians. You poison the water supply that the good guys are using at the prison instead. You create fire issues. You damage their crops as invaders did in history. You create infection through contamination.

Whole episodes could be about a relocation plan, agriculture, medicine, etc. Yes, the immediate need was arms and ammunition, especially long range sniping, but that takes skill. Noise suppression was introduced in the beginning of the season, but I think the show took heat from showing how to make rudimentary noise suppresion by Macguyvering them. Why not have a show where they steal a bulldozer and dig trenches, which would only make sense, and likely those vehicles were not drained of gas, and in that way they could create a way to repel both walkers easily plus any invaders?

Have more intelligent writing. The actors are good enough already.

It's fairly common to show a date indicating how much time has passed since the Event began which caused infection. That would be helpful and also show how far they've come (or not progressed) in the period that has transpired. We know that Lori was pregnant for X number of episodes and can estimate from that, but most people need some sense of time scale.

They are only minimally adapting. Actually, they are going to die, for they cannot hunt very well, can't gather food, can't grow crops, etc and each trip for supplies is an issue. All of those things are interesting. One need not die of a walker as the most common issue in survival and war is contaminated water. Other than a brief showing of Andrea with some kind of flu or infection, we haven't explored that theme at all. Dyssentery (mostly bacterial) is to be expected as is gigardia (amoebic dyssentary).

A plain old monster show is basically for simpletons or children. Respect the viewers enough to do a little more intelligent writing.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 30, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Interesting points Rubicon, nice to see you're back. I'm personally very disappointed that we're not seeing more survivalesque episodes, it's like they found this prison, and in it food for enough time to not even have to think about foraging or raiding shops at all. I believe I'm not the only one who's bewildered by the decision to use wooden pallets to reinforce walkways and entrances. I mean what the ****? That's never in a million years going to stop a bullet. A freaking BB-gun might penetrate a wooden pallet.

And while we might for a second be lead to believe it will be used with the purpose of veiling the prescence of a sentry, it would then be more useful to use simple cloth. Even then it would be a generally stupid idea. I mean c'mon, the writers must have more brains than this.
    Last edited by trance; March 30, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    Interesting points Rubicon, nice to see you're back. I'm personally very disappointed that we're not seeing more survivalesque episodes, it's like they found this prison, and in it food for enough time to not even have to think about foraging or raiding shops at all. I believe I'm not the only one who's bewildered by the decision to use wooden pallets to reinforce walkways and entrances. I mean what the ****? That's never in a million years going to stop a bullet. A freaking BB-gun might penetrate a wooden pallet.

And while we might for a second be lead to believe it will be used with the purpose of veiling the prescence of a sentry, it would then be more useful to use simple cloth. Even then it would be a generally stupid idea. I mean c'mon, the writers must have more brains than this.
    Thanks. I'm glad to be back and I hope to make some positive contributions in modding MTW Kingdoms as I have in the past.

Survival is about priorities and having a crystal clear understanding of personal limitations based upon supplies and skills. In the beginning they moved to the CDC areas in order to look for a cure. Once it was determined there was no cure, but likewise no contagion outside of transmission through contamination or bite, then the next priority should have been locating a defendable settlement.

A farm can not ever be defensible while maruaders are about. That means have a castle defense, and so naturally a prison makes sense somewhat it has protective elements, but think, it keeps people inside, right? That's precisely what's happened. The group is penned up.

The opposite is true of the Governor's city. Since Rick's family lack's the ability to seize it, and can't live with a constant threat, the only good thing to do is move on. There's no reason however to fight fair, and the natural way to attack is with fire. Of course, that's evil and bad television, but a logical way to ruin the town. That's not the goal however, it's survival, so obviously Rick's family must move on. I'm not understanding staying, as they and Michonne and Andrea made it outside for two seasons.

As long as a well can be dug with potable water and crops can be grown but more importantly animal protein can be raised, a group will survive. While ideally beans and rice will supply nutrition through amino acids, and veggies can be grown to provide minerals and vitamins, it takes time to get sufficient calories and it is entirely dependent upon both being able to successfully raise crops and harvest them and preserve them. Meat provides dense calories in a small package, but naturally a lot of creatures have relocated to less inhabited areas. All cattle and normal livestock would have died, not from walkers, but largely from lack of feed and water. All of the big corporate farms would have fallen into huge toxic rot and likely contaiminated local water supplies with terrible bacteria. They should do a story where they find a perfect place, but the water's too polluted and they must leave.

All good stories which could be told in acquiring materials, learning how to cope, and then defending it.

Right now there's a drought in much of the USA, and that could be included in the story, for without some infrastructure to collect water from a remote source and pipe it from reservoirs, then a garden of sufficient magnitude requires adequate rainfall. In a drought, the nitrogen fixing bacteria is no longer around and the soil becomes sterile. They have that training through Herschel and his daughters, and so they could learn to cope, probably by drip irrigation and the proximity of a Lake. The problem though again is contamination of walkers into that water source too. The only safe water is likely to be a deep well from an aquifer.

What they need is a castle. Why not pick another prison? There are tons of prisons in the USA. It makes no sense to stay. This time, you build the earthworks as pits to catch any straggling walkers coming in, and have a series of them, with maintenance burning to eliminate them. It's not rocket science, and entirely plausible to build something simply. It makes sense for a new character who's an engineer along with some craftsmen for construction/electricity/mechanical repair to enter the group as well as operators of heavy machinery.

In the interim, they need supplies. The natural source would be food distribution warehouses that centralize inventories that dispurse to grocery stores. Many things would be spoiled, but it's likely that most people have only used up local supplies not isolated warehouses. Since those can be in country areas, and often prisons are in similar areas, and the population density is lower in rural areas, then it's entirely plausible that such a place could be found.

Staying put has never made sense.

Rural folks would likely have had less issues with walkers due to their small populations. Why are they not showing them making a plan to locate such an area and then making their way towards it? It's suicide to stay.

Yes, I'm a country boy, a redneck much like Daryl. Still hunting is not like you think it would be. Most hunter gathering societies moved to follow the game and then returned to other areas after letting it rest. There were good reasons that agricultural with regular harvest came to be the main means of civillization. That means the group has to evolve as striping supplies from towns would realistically last maybe two weeks at most from even rural places, so a lot the show is hogwash.

Even prisons use an inventory reordering system rather than have huge stockpiles, so it's true that they'd have food for all the inmates, and Rick's family is tiny by comparison, but they'd be starving now. The local town supplies have been striped by the Governor, and surrounding towns likely the same too.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 30, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

that was pretty underwhelming, the governor just left and the fight for the prison lasted like 2 minutes, now they have a bunch of useless cannon fodder they can throw away in season 4 hopefully game of thrones wont be so disappointing.
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Actually; I did not see that coming... Or that, or the thing with...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A few surprises at the close of season, while the big fight at the prison didn't really happen it actually made sense. The Woodbury group are not hardened soldiers, after the whizz bangs in the dark cell blocks the bullets started to fly and they panicked. The governor seriously underestimated their need for revenge, judged them by his won standards and got it wrong... His revenge was a tad overdoing it but, he is nuts.. Where he's gone now with Martinez and reoccurring guy who never speaks who knows. He'd be a fool to try and take on Rick now...

Spoiler for deep spoiler
    OMG THEY KILLED KENNY. well Andrea!!! One of the comics driving and more popular characters and they killed her..

I liked Rick's seeming redemption at the end, it makes sense that he had to re-find his humanity to forgive himself, nice touch I thought. Carl on the other hand....

Plenty of plot holes for the nay sayers to chomp on this week, but overall a good close to the season..
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thank god they killed Andrea! At last!
    The Armenian Issue

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

TheSutekh, you might want to put spoiler tags around that.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

mehzel's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    Thank god they killed Andrea! At last!
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBrig4 View Post
    TheSutekh, you might want to put spoiler tags around that.
    Noooooo i didnt think the last episode of season 3 was out yet in the US so i thought this thread would be safe to read now i know what happens nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That was pretty underwhelming of an episode...not sure I liked it.

re Carl:
    Children who have been forced into becoming child soldiers or who have been refugees and see horror are developing under extreme stress and developing a different moral code. Poor Carl. Can you imagine? He had his childhood stolen.He's realistically very liable to grow up with severe mental issues, just as a child abuse victim would. How many walkers has he killed? He killed his mom to prevent her becoming a walker. That's all messed up.

If I were discuss my main criticism of the show, which I haven't, it's that the situation with Sophia's death, the ongoing isues with Carl, these things were not allowed on television prior to shows like the The Walking Dead. I have real misgivings about that, for I don't think young children should be watching an extremely violent show, and when a child is a character on a show, it's truthfully done for demographics and product sales. That is a grotesque aspect of television. A lot of irresponsible parents are certainly allowing their children to watch it.

When I was younger, horror comics were contraversial because they depicted extreme violence and they were sold and allowed to be sold to children. We had to sneek and read them, and they often included a single frame of nudity within one of the stories. I got my issues of Creepy and Eerie snatched our of my hands and thrown in the garbage (and often snuck them back out of the garbage to continue reading them).

It's 2012, and you can't put the genie back in the bottle, for any horror film or tv show will have an appeal to boys especially. They should be careful about the depiction of Carl, at least to be somewhat responsible. The difficulties that he would be undergoing would likely explode at some point as his ability to discriminate between right and wrong will be affected, and he's liable to more prone to say shoot a threatening stranger in future episodes and not think twice for his moral code development has not happened in a normal way. It's the developmental pattern of a child sociopath.

I come from a state in which young children might be 10 and hunt with their parents. Hunting doesn't alter the child development in a negative way in general, for children throughout time have hunted to put meat on the table. Killing walkers is not hunting, but murder, and so the killing of what is an animated dead human will cause a mental break at some point...or the child is likely to compartmentalize their feelings and get icy cold, something I think you're seeing in the actor's potrayal. They detatch. The logical way to help repair this within a dramatic story is a new mother figure for Carl, a female child his own age to help him go through some normal child development, to counterbalance the horror. Obviously Carl is being depicted as having an affection in Herschel's younger daughter, a crush is forming.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; April 01, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

While I don't think Walking Dead is appropriate for kids, AMC clearly states at the start of every episode that it's not suitable for younger viewers.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Why is everyone so pissed at Carl? I thought that scene was HORRIBLY directed. The kid was telling Carl to take the gun while he was pointing the barrel in his direction. It looked fishy as hell and personally i thought they were gonna have Herschel killed right there. Then Carl killed him and i thought it was nice that someone stepped up and was decisive. I thought Herschel was gonna be all supportive and say some "you did what you had to do" type of stuff. Instead he goes back to Rick and tells him Carl just outright murdered some dude in cold blood. That scene was just crap. If i had someone at gun point in the middle of a battle and told them to drop their gun, and they responded to me by pointing the barrel in my direction and goding me multiple times into taking it out of their hand, i'd shoot his ass too. All they had to do was have the kid put his hands up right away and say, "Don't shoot." and then have Carl pull the trigger if thats what they were going for.

The infamous prison battle was ****ing retarded. Apparently they broke down the fence a couple epsiodes ago, to let the walkers in, so when they attacked they'd have to spend the first two minutes of battle expending half of their ammo to clear out all the walkers??? And what kind of gameplan did they have??? "Alright, everyone stay in on real tight group. That way if there is a trap they can get us all in one fell swoop."

And i still think Michonne thanking Rick for not turning her over to be tortured, raped, and murdered is ****ing retarded. Why in the hell would you thank someone for that? Rick admitted he was close to doing it, so what if another situation comes along where Rick might have to sacrafice you. You know he's open to it. How in the **** could you ever trust someone like that? Michonne only brought you crucial baby supplies and saved the lives of multiple members of your group, but hey, thanks for not having her tortured and murdered in exchange for some empty promise.

They have officially dumped the comic storyline and the problem is, the vast majority of the times they do that is when the show is just stupid. So now these garbage writers are all on their own to try and come up with something good? No thanks.

Best episode in a while, but not because of the plot, which was weak. It was the best episode for a while because they led Bear McCready show is talent and used his Soundtrack to create emotions. The Characters besides for Daryl are all not really interesting, but the music created a bit more emotions than usually. I love his combination of classic and modern sounds and it reminded me a bit of the old Battlestar Galactica days, when the series couldn't live without his creat music.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

If i had someone at gun point in the middle of a battle and told them to drop their gun, and they responded to me by pointing the barrel in my direction and goding me multiple times into taking it out of their hand, i'd shoot his ass too.
    The kid didn't drop his gun quick enough, but he didn't point it at Carl nor did he goad him in any way, Carl murdered him. Despite that I wouldn't hold it against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    Best episode in a while, but not because of the plot, which was weak. It was the best episode for a while because they led Bear McCready show is talent and used his Soundtrack to create emotions. The Characters besides for Daryl are all not really interesting, but the music created a bit more emotions than usually. I love his combination of classic and modern sounds and it reminded me a bit of the old Battlestar Galactica days, when the series couldn't live without his creat music.
    Very much agree. The end scene where the music carries the story without the need for long winded explanation was nicely done.

Something was certainly fishy about the kid with the shotgun. He could simply throw the gun away if he wanted to surrender. Instead he pushed it forward and turned it slightly towards Carl. I didn't think the kill was such a bad thing but Carl's behaviour after it was.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    Something was certainly fishy about the kid with the shotgun. He could simply throw the gun away if he wanted to surrender. Instead he pushed it forward and turned it slightly towards Carl. I didn't think the kill was such a bad thing but Carl's behaviour after it was.
    He also moved towards Carl. In TV people normally always make the mistake NOT to shoot in this situations (and me always thinking: "Shoot you idiot!").

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

Well that episode sure..... happened? I don´t have much of an opinion on this one. It had one or two good surprises, but overal the resolution to the dispute between Woodbury and the prison was dissapointing and anticlimactic. The Governor shoot all of his men, but conveniently none of them shoot back at him. Also, why don´t all the people from the prison move to Woodbury instead of the other way around? What with all the yard infested with zombies, control towers blown up and one of the sides utterly demolished and exposed to intruders, i am sure a well fortified town would be a much safer hidout for a large group of people, but what do i know...

I did like that Carl is starting to become the psicho he is in the comics.
    Last edited by maxi90; April 01, 2013 at 11:20 AM.