Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jurisprudence Tom Cruise View Post
    Well the zombies would have to get weaker as the body breaks down through decomposition.Bits would fall off.Why are there not loads of flys around the zombies?
    I do not understand why Rick does not just take his gang away from the jail...It is not safe from Humans or Zombies and the food must be running short...

All I would do is send a truck into smash the gates and let the zombies get in.The gov has the numbers and would win a shoot out anyhow..
    Rick should have shot the gov in the face when he was having peace talks.They had the hill billy outside he would have killed the others and the blonde would side with them.Cmon Rick get it together if Shane was alive the gov would be dead.Maybe Shane was the leader they needed.
    Really at this point Rick should take his gang away from the jail. This negotiation BS is retarded. I'd of taken everyone and moved them into the crazy street with all the traps he discovered with his son and Michonne.
    The jail sucks. It's obviously not secure in any way. In a gun battle you are just boxing yourself in. They go to where they met his old buddy and they'd have it made and a much more defensible area than a run down, broken down old prison. And yes, they apparently did run out of food, so there is always that.

And Rick couldn't really shoot the gov in the face because Daryll, the hillbilly you are talking about, brought a crossbow to a gun fight! He had a one-legged old man and guy with a crossbow.

I do agree, obviously the show has become very uneventful and downright tedious to watch. I really just want them to get it over with once and for all, and see (finally) where it will go from there. Nonetheless, I will continue to watch the show until it is cancelled. Nothing else like it on.

Human beings are terrible being. They get good ratings, instead of building on it they decide to relax and coast on the ratings.

Can't believe it's become a boring and annoying show...... 43 minutes of nothing week in week out.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The scene with Andrea and the governor in the old factory was pretty intense. Yeh it was a bit predictable but that feeling of dread was still there. The reason being the presence of walkers, more so, unseen walkers. The one thing that gives this show a unique selling point is the walkers, leave them out and it's just another post apocalypse survival drama, Falling Skies, Revolution, the dinosaur thing. Without a constant threat from walkers I wouldn't watch this....

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    The scene with Andrea and the governor in the old factory was pretty intense. Yeh it was a bit predictable but that feeling of dread was still there. The reason being the presence of walkers, more so, unseen walkers. The one thing that gives this show a unique selling point is the walkers, leave them out and it's just another post apocalypse survival drama, Falling Skies, Revolution, the dinosaur thing. Without a constant threat from walkers I wouldn't watch this....
    Walkers ; Threat.

Pick one.

There are no threat factor ın Falling Skies or Revolution? Terra Nova wasn't a post apocalypse survival drama as well.

Also, predictable? I thought one of them would die in the factory.
    The Armenian Issue

Well the Governor was suppose to die but he entered in an invicibility cheat code at the last second when his ammo ran out. If the gov was really smart he wouldn't ask for Michone but instead tell Rick he wants all the cheat codes they know about. With Herschel's unlimited ammo cheat, Michonnes noclip cheat, and his own invicinbility cheat he would be unstoppable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    There are no threat factor ın Falling Skies or Revolution? Terra Nova wasn't a post apocalypse survival drama as well.

Also, predictable? I thought one of them would die in the factory.
    I could have worded that better, what I meant was, another post apocalyptic survival drama without Zombies/walkers. And yes predictable, lone woman scurries around abandoned derelict factory while psychotic madman nonchalantly searches for her while scrapping weapon along floor and walls, he even started whistling. Woman is very careful of her every step, but still manages to knock over a box of old crap making a huge racket. At no point did I think, yeh she's going to get him, or that she was going to ultimately escape..

With two episodes left, and an un-used torture chamber...there was never any question: Andrea's getting caught.

Enjoyment-wise, I guess I'm all alone!

I actually thought the last two episodes ranked amongst the better ones. The sitdown, ostensibly pointless, served to put the two leaders one-on-one in a tense yet controlled situation where they could "negotiate" (but really, feel each other out for weakness). It also brought together a bunch of 2nd rate characters for some enjoyable banter. I've always liked Martinez, thought he had potential, and I like his actor so more screen time for him is good. With Daryl, even better. Competing with Daryl: best. Putting the eggs together to compare notes was a nice touch, too, allowed each side a glimpse into the other faction's humanity. The little things like bringing a crossbow to a potential shootout, or bringing a one-legged wheelman...yes. That bugged me too. Overall, though, I enjoyed the throttled back intensity. If every episode were an adrenaline-fest, we'd soon fall asleep. The restraint worked this time. Rick's mind being what it is, I can actually see him questioning his own judgement on sacrificing Michonne. Of course he knows the easy way doesn't really exist...but getting a second opinion on the situation shouldn't be seen as considering an outright betrayal.

The last episode was decent. I too object to zombies sneaking up on anyone, anywhere at any time, unless you're in some dark building or overgrown area. In a GA scrubpine forest? By 4 of em?!? Please! Makes Dale's meadow-ambush seem almost reasonable by comparison. I also object to Andrea running across an open field when there's clearly a vehicle in the area. Treelines. Use em. But I DID like how she used the stairwell walkers to route the Guv. She just should've slashed dude's tires is all...

As for the rest of the season: Rick needs to set up an ambush along the road from Woodbury to the jail. Of course, he won't, and I'll be disappointed...but whatever. I'm getting used to it. The last two episodes were a nice build-up to the end. I just hope they don't mangle the assault too badly. I predict for Season 4, we'll still have (in order of likely survival): Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl, and possibly Merle. Even less sure about Glen, Maggie, Carol and especially old fart Hershel...they seem played out. Baby's little more than a prop/plot-generator, and her caretaker (oldfart's extraneous daughter) will likely go, too.

As for the rest of the series: I'll watch to completion no matter what. The great thing about Zombies is none of it's really believable on any level, which makes the really unbelievable stuff that much easier to stomach!
    Giving tax breaks to the wealthy, is like giving free dessert coupons to the morbidly obese.

IDIOT BASTARD SON of MAVERICK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chamaeleo View Post
    As for the rest of the series: I'll watch to completion no matter what. The great thing about Zombies is none of it's really believable on any level, which makes the really unbelievable stuff that much easier to stomach!
    This I agree with.

For me however the issue that's starting to grind is, while the comic was never high art, even in comic terms (it's no V of Vendetta, Electra Assassin, Rank Xerox ect) but it does have a good premise and some nice characters. The TV show obviously has a fair sized budget and some quality cast members, yet the writing for the show has not only made a hash of the source material it's starting to wheel out every tired old cliché in the book. The face off - cliché. The governors behaviour in the factory - cliché, the sub characters getting on -cliché the list is starting to outweigh the good stuff.

Compare this to the much lesser known 'American Horror Story' and it falls way short, especially the writing.

Too right. It's not the relatively low writing quality per se, rather, the wasted potential that most annoys me! I genuinely want the show to be good.

The comic is marginally better, though given the 10-yr running, grinding monthly series of deadlines I'm a lot more forgiving. Except for the pathetic "governor special"...that was inexcusable. Anybody else also find marathon reading sessions more satisfying than waiting month to month? I think that's got something to do with it. When you wait a month and an issue sucks, it really stands out. When it's the third issue of the day and you've got many more behind it...no biggie.

Don't even get me started on the novels...
    Giving tax breaks to the wealthy, is like giving free dessert coupons to the morbidly obese.

but I feel as if when it comes down to writing it they realize there's not really enough material for the number of episodes on order, so they end up having to drag things out quite a bit and add in a lot of filler.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Cyrus: that's just lazy writing. SO many potential issues/subplots: securing water, gas, food, clothing, ammo, etc. Testing new walker traps + kill techniques. Dealing with disease. Clearing prison sectors. Boobytrapping the road and weak areas against the inevitable assault. Hunting/fishing trips. Acquiring tractor, seed etc to FINALLY farm that land. Gearing up boogie bags for hasty escape. Planning an ambush. Contingency planning for regrouping after a route. And so on...

Material's not the issue, it's poorly developed empathy with the story and characters. The main problem is the writers don't have a clue as to surviving adverse conditions. They seriously need to interview refugees from war-torn regions to get a better sense of what Collapse really means at the individual level. Or...something!

Was the recent trip to nutville to get guns just 'filler'? Not really, though it was open and shut in a single episode with no time wasted on Glen/Maggie or Guv/Andrea. I'd not mind seeing 3-4 such episodes per season, addressing practical considerations like self defense, sustainability and the stockpiling rare and valuable resources. The soap opera element certainly has its place, but I'm more interested in the characters' environmental interactions and overcoming strange scenarios through tactics, skill and problem solving...as opposed to dumb luck. Those sorts of plots are best treated as singular events, and might constitute 'filler', but that'd be more entertaining than constantly recycling the same old conversations: "you left me here to worry while you were out doing God knows what and jeez do you think we can get a cellphone tower working so I can keep up with current events....I MISS TWITTER!!!"

Blog Entries

A'yup. I really thought there would be flashback/origin story episodes. How did Andrea escape the outbreak? T-Dog (ok joking that one) Daryll/Merle, Glen, what turned the governor nuts? ect ect They could all have an episode to tell of their first day/days after the outbreak (Lost did this brilliantly, interweaving past and present). Far more compelling than Maggie plants some spuds, Zombie in a well, Dayll kills a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Da Great View Post
    but I feel as if when it comes down to writing it they realize there's not really enough material for the number of episodes on order, so they end up having to drag things out quite a bit and add in a lot of filler.
    The overall direction of the show is very lacking, which is most likely why all of these episodes feel so god damn disjointed. The producton team has been garbage since the get-go on this show. I'm almost just as disappointed that AMC would settle for this crap considering how good the rest of their series are.

A'yup. I really thought there would be flashback/origin story episodes. How did Andrea escape the outbreak? T-Dog (ok joking that one) Daryll/Merle, Glen, what turned the governor nuts? ect ect They could all have an episode to tell of their first day/days after the outbreak (Lost did this brilliantly, interweaving past and present). Far more compelling than Maggie plants some spuds, Zombie in a well, Dayll kills a squirrel.
    That would have been a much better idea for them to do all of last season instead of all the retarded forced drama on the Boring Ranch. They did Lorie and Shane, sort of, but that was it.
    Last edited by brandbll; March 22, 2013 at 07:24 AM.

I could have worded that better, what I meant was, another post apocalyptic survival drama without Zombies/walkers. And yes predictable, lone woman scurries around abandoned derelict factory while psychotic madman nonchalantly searches for her while scrapping weapon along floor and walls, he even started whistling. Woman is very careful of her every step, but still manages to knock over a box of old crap making a huge racket. At no point did I think, yeh she's going to get him, or that she was going to ultimately escape..
    You confused me again. You talk about it being predictable and than say that you couldn't predict either option.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

Try reading my post again..
    Last edited by Darth Red; March 22, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

This is what i was reminded of with that whole scene:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I don't know why its showing up as not working on my computer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpipB4yehk

Although this one was done much MUCH better. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where they ripped off the idea for the scene too.
    Last edited by brandbll; March 22, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

Try reading my post again
    Try not to be as contradicting next time. That said, Andrea didn't even know exactly what the governor would do. They had general directions when they shot the scene but details were somewhat improvised. Laurie Holden explained so in the Talking Dead show after the episode.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by TheSutekh View Post
    Try not to be as contradicting next time. That said, Andrea didn't even know exactly what the governor would do. They had general directions when they shot the scene but details were somewhat improvised. Laurie Holden explained so in the Talking Dead show after the episode.
    Big deal! So she knew he was going to be going ape **** but she didn't know in exact detail how he was going to act it out. What is such a big deal about that?