Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: The Walking Dead

Eire: I too would be mistrustful of strangers, but then again, given the current situation w the Gov...I'd be recruiting. Statistically speaking the more targets you have around you, the less likely you are to get shot. Particularly when your new ally is wears orange and yelling a lot.

Cyrus: True. But this whole show demands a healthy suspension of disbelief. It's like natural selection stopped working: idiot hitch-hikers, and the crew stuck on the bridge last week...you'd think they'd have gotten munched long before now.

I wish I could take my own advice. I like the show, I look forward to watching it, and it occasionally exceeds expectations: if only because those expectations are already pretty low! I wish I weren't so detail oriented, too. Naturally, we all put ourselves in the situation and imagine what we'd be doing differently. I definitely enjoyed seeing Morgan's setup, that was redeeming and more in line with what I think I'd do (given half a chance to survive the first few weeks), even if he did spend several minutes lashing a corpse to a gurney...with his back to two still-flailing, slightly impaled walkers.
    Giving tax breaks to the wealthy, is like giving free dessert coupons to the morbidly obese.

IDIOT BASTARD SON of MAVERICK

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    Are you ever positive about anything? You complain about small things every week and it is more than just an opinion at this stage, you just come across as a miserable bastard. This show is good, and if you don't liike it please stop watching.
    Meh, it's my opinion. I don't care if you like it or not. You always have the option of scrolling right past my posts or putting me on full blown ignore for all i care. I don't write my opinions on here so i can try and please as many people as possible. I mean, you could always make a new "Walking Dead Positive Comments Only" thread.

Agreed.

"Let's go get a bunch of guns! But not too many, since we somehow ended up taking the 2wd compact car with the rather small trunk. But definitely more guns, at the very least more guns than we have shooters...

...and we don't have enough room to pick anybody up so forget recruitment. Well, unless of course it's an unhinged lunatic who cannot remember the guy who set him up with his initial arsenal. He could be useful. But some random hitch-hiker? No way! Especially not some idiot carrying a clanky, poorly packed bright orange backpack, yelling and chasing after us!

Now if he carried something practical, like an axe, maybe we could make an exception..."
    LMAO!! When that car got stuck in that teeny tiny spot of mud i thought, "Man i'd be pissed if i were part of Hyundai and watching this." Note to self, don't buy that POS vehicle. I don't know why didn't they take that full size truck Glen had.

With the backpacker i got why they did it, and i get why the writers put it in there. It's suppose to be that the real dangers in this new zombie life are the unknown reactions of other humans. But then they go to Rick's home town and completely disregard that caution by walking down the middle of Crazyville to have the possibility of getting what, a shotgun? And it's not like they were equipped for that situation either. The backpacker issue goes back to when we saw them kicking out Tyrese's group. Had they had some sort of dialogue between the two groups about trust issues after Rick lost it like they should have, the whole backpacker thing would have made more sense.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

They took the small car because it's better on fuel consumption on a long journey. They didn't pick the hitcher up because anyone still alive and alone must be either stupid/crazy or a total hard case, most likely a bit of each. In which case he's dangerous. He died because he was running around like an idiot shouting (stupid/crazy), he was exhausted and easily caught by the walkers his shouting would have attracted.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Its funny how when you like a show or movie it is easy to come up with justifications for simple issues like how far they traveled to the police station or why they took this car or that one but when you dont like the show or movie every tiny little thing sets you off and everything seems illogical.

Which is why you should only watch something if you like it because if you dont like it not only are you wasting time watching it but wasting time and brain power figuring out how it sucks in every way. So whats the point of complaining endlessly unless you have a lot of time to waste.
    Last edited by B-DizL; March 05, 2013 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Its funny how when you like a show or movie it is easy to come up with justifications for simple issues like how far they traveled to the police station or why they took this car or that one but when you dont like the show or movie every tiny little thing sets you off and everything seems illogical.

Which is why you should only watch something if you like it because if you dont like it not only are you wasting time watching it but wasting time and brain power figuring out how it sucks in every way. So whats the point of complaining endlessly unless you have a lot of time to waste.
    Yelling at the TV and hating characters in the show is all part of the fun. I'm pretty sure that everyone has a dark fantasy about how they'd react and what they'd do in this situation and this just feeds into it.

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    They took the small car because it's better on fuel consumption on a long journey. They didn't pick the hitcher up because anyone still alive and alone must be either stupid/crazy or a total hard case, most likely a bit of each. In which case he's dangerous. He died because he was running around like an idiot shouting (stupid/crazy), he was exhausted and easily caught by the walkers his shouting would have attracted.
    Why he didn't wait for them to return inside that crowd of vehicles where he could easily ambush them is beyond me.
    This turns to show how you really should be a dick to everyone, during zombie apocalypse.
    Or else you end up on that side of the road.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Could have went into one of the cars and waited it out.

Blog Entries

He couldn't know they were coming back.

Probably a more relevant point, if I was being picky, why was he on foot! Maybe he doesn't drive or know how to ride a motorcycle but surely he could ride a bicycle, a 'Bickerton' folding bike should be a necessity in the zombie apocalypse.

Probably a more relevant point, if I was being picky, why was he on foot! Maybe he doesn't drive or know how to ride a motorcycle but surely he could ride a bicycle, a 'Bickerton' folding bike should be a necessity in the zombie apocalypse.
    Exactly, only a idiot would walk that distance on foot during a Zombie Apocalypse.
    Like he couldn't find a bike at least.
    Good thing they ignore him in the first place.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

My impressions:
    I liked this episode but if we analyze it deeply as some of you guys already did, it is kind of a risky move to leave during a whole day to get more weapons.
    The knife fight scene was not necessary in my opinion.
    It felt kind of unhuman to leave that poor guy. This kind of atittude makes Rick's character even more questionable.
    I like the fact they used a story detached from the big plot. I just think it was not the right time to have that episode. Maybe it should have occurred before the threat of an attack.

All in all, a cool episode. No Andrea, no Meg whining, no Glen trying to prove he is a tough guy, no clean cars.

Better then nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Da Great View Post
    Exactly, only a idiot would walk that distance on foot during a Zombie Apocalypse.
    Like he couldn't find a bike at least.
    Good thing they ignore him in the first place.
    Ever gone tromping through the woods before? It takes coordination, and in reality you could ditch a horde of brainless zombies in no time just walking fast.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    Ever gone tromping through the woods before? It takes coordination, and in reality you could ditch a horde of brainless zombies in no time just walking fast.
    Yeah, unless there are more zombies in every direction as in a zombie apocalypse. It's already been shown to be impossible to just ditch hordes with Andrea trying to escape the farm.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

He could have just climbed a tree? The one thing that bugs me about this show is how much ammo they waste. Why shoot the zombie through the window? Just stab the freaking thing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    One scene they've missed from the comic that I thought should have been included was Michone's explanation of how walkers operate (if I can use that word).. She met the group at the prison at which point they hadn't been out in the open much, travelling by vehicle most of the time, and didn't have much experience of being exposed to or chased by walkers. She explains that walkers never tire, you can out pace them but they keep coming, you can run but you'll get tired and they don't. Walkers don't need to move fast, they just have to keep you in sight or hear you. . I think She also explains that herds form for the slightest reason, one is heading in a direction and maybe bumps another and they both head off, then another and another until a herd has formed, lone walkers are attracted to herds. The last place you want to be spotted is an open road or in open country, woods are no better because you might be able to get out of site but when you tire you have hide and stay perfectly silent.

Walkers speed up when they get close, some have even broke into a light jog, which considering they don't tire would soon run you down. Andrea in the woods, Shane and Otis when they went for medical supplies (Shane shot Otis because he knew they couldn't out run the walkers)... Running isn't much of an option..

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit
    He could have just climbed a tree? The one thing that bugs me about this show is how much ammo they waste. Why shoot the zombie through the window? Just stab the freaking thing!
    And then what, live in the tree forever? build a tree house and live off butterflies and dew!

Half a dozen walkers clamouring around the car and you want to open the window enough to stick your arm out to save a bullet!
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; March 07, 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Well, now we know why they couldn't find M4s and what not during Season 1:
    Morgan got to them first!

One scene they've missed from the comic that I thought should have been included was Michone's explanation of how walkers operate (if I can use that word).. She met the group at the prison at which point they hadn't been out in the open much, travelling by vehicle most of the time, and didn't have much experience of being exposed to or chased by walkers. She explains that walkers never tire, you can out pace them but they keep coming, you can run but you'll get tired and they don't. Walkers don't need to move fast, they just have to keep you in sight or hear you. . I think She also explains that herds form for the slightest reason, one is heading in a direction and maybe bumps another and they both head off, then another and another until a herd has formed, lone walkers are attracted to herds. The last place you want to be spotted is an open road or in open country, woods are no better because you might be able to get out of site but when you tire you have hide and stay perfectly silent.
    I'm talking about with teh type of zombies we've seen in the show, you could easily lose them in the woods. There is all sorts of **** they would trip, slip and fall over on. The proof of that was in Morgan's simplistic traps and the fact that they worked. It's why i've always thought zombies that can only walk make for a much less entertaining story, because in reality you could get away from them SOOO easily. And depending on the thickness and contour of the woods you could double back on any zombie horde really quick and they'd be gone just like that.

Lennie James ....I really liked that character...I still like him....just not the flavor of crazy I would have preferred.....hopefully he returns as a relatively whole person.....but haunted by the consequences of not blowing his wife's zombie brain apart.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Just got around to play that Telltale Walking Dead game. Damn, it's good. I know it's been said already, but somehow it does what the show has largely failed to do: create interesting characters that matter and give them deaths that aren't inconsequential or cheap. Anyway, better get back to it. I'm only up to Episode 4.

Since this is the day of ill put my opinion on tonight's episode in tags:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Finally back to a good show! I just wish at the end they would have ended it when Rick said they were going to war. I thought, "Hell yeah, Rick isn't even going to consider that retarded offer and its not even worth mentioning to the group." Instead he just sort of pussed out and considered turning Michonne over. It's like, wtf dude? You were trying to scare them so they'd be down to turn over a member of the group that has saved pretty much everyone's life? Yeah, your group is really gonna trust you after that, not to mention you'd still have the threat of the gov looming over you. The speech he gave before that was making my hair stand up, then they killed that byt not ending on a high note.