Page 1 of 205 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Thread Rule Same rules as the GoT thread: Comics spoilers goes in spoiler tags with warning.

Consider this as a thread rule with appropriate penalties.

Hi I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet. Anyway this is a new TV show by AMC Network (Never heard of them but I am British lol) it will premier on October 31st 2010 with a 90 minute premier episode, when its aired outside of the US is anyone's guess. Ok a bit about what its about, its based on comic book of the same name created by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, the TV series has just got the greenlight for a second season even before the first has been aired. Now I'm normally scared crapless of Zombies but my interest has got the best of me with this and I'm gonna have to watch it, lets just hope that it keeps to the same effect of the trailer.

Discuss...

Thanx
    Raradir
    Last edited by Påsan; February 10, 2014 at 08:45 AM.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The Walking Dead

I started one a week or so ago, but couldn't find a Youtube trailer to post all nice and shiny like yours. It got quickly buried.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    I started one a week or so ago, but couldn't find a Youtube trailer to post all nice and shiny like yours. It got quickly buried.
    Obviously I didn't search hard enough for another thread on the topic

I'm a hardcore zombie fan and this completely reeks of undead quality. I love The Walking Dead comic and eagerly read every new issue.

I'm also a bit old school when it comes to zombies, and don't really like the way Romero's gone down with his latest installments. In my book a zombie should be slow, stupid and have no supernatural qualities what so ever.

And judging from the trailer I'd say that Darabont's managed to keep the angst from the comic.

I have a feeling this is gonna be epic.

...oh, and here's a link to my unsuccesful attempt at creating a zombie thread here at the TWC --> Thread of the Dead

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

This promises to be good, I like my zombies in the games (own the whole resident evil series) but the occasional zombie movie are fun too.

This one is looking good too

Looks like that may be quite the interesting series, I trust AMC to.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

The comic is actually quite good, as it shows the barbarous nature of mankind; however, I think the series does not reflect the comic good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by Raradir View Post
    Hi I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet. Anyway this is a new TV show by AMC Network (Never heard of them but I am British lol) it will premier on October 31st 2010 with a 90 minute premier episode, when its aired outside of the US is anyone's guess. Ok a bit about what its about, its based on comic book of the same name created by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore, the TV series has just got the greenlight for a second season even before the first has been aired. Now I'm normally scared crapless of Zombies but my interest has got the best of me with this and I'm gonna have to watch it, lets just hope that it keeps to the same effect of the trailer.
    I created a thread on it way back when AMC first announced it! Im a HUGE Kirkman fan and a huge TWD fan. Anyone who is going to groan and go "zombies" needs to watch it since its not even really about the zombies but the survivors. The comic is just amazing and hope this is as big as True Blood turned out to be bringing "smart" horror to tv. How awesome is the last scene with the tank

I'm also a bit old school when it comes to zombies, and don't really like the way Romero's gone down with his latest installments. In my book a zombie should be slow, stupid and have no supernatural qualities what so ever.
    Agreed once you start adding other abilities to them they arent zombies anymore....they are vampires with a bigger appetite.
    Last edited by danzig; September 02, 2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    I created a thread on it way back when AMC first announced it! Im a HUGE Kirkman fan and a huge TWD fan. Anyone who is going to groan and go "zombies" needs to watch it since its not even really about the zombies but the survivors. The comic is just amazing and hope this is as big as True Blood turned out to be bringing "smart" horror to tv. How awesome is the last scene with the tank
    I'm glad it'll focus more on the survivors as I like to watch stuff about mankind struggling to survive etc like the UK TV series Survivors, maybe not as big budget as this looks but I liked it, sadly got canceled though

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Bout time a zombie series comes to tv. I will def watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Bout time a zombie series comes to tv. I will def watch this.
    I can recommend the British Dead Set, plot:

Dead Set is a BAFTA-nominated horror drama created by English writer Charlie Brooker. The series is set in the Big Brother house, and was first aired on E4 on 27 October 2008. The five episodes, aired over five consecutive nights, chronicle a zombie outbreak that strands the housemates and production staff inside the house, which quickly becomes a shelter from the undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Raradir View Post
    I'm glad it'll focus more on the survivors as I like to watch stuff about mankind struggling to survive etc like the UK TV series Survivors, maybe not as big budget as this looks but I liked it, sadly got canceled though
    Well you'll see plenty of zombies thats for sure but yeah the survivor thing and how they deal with one another, who to trust, who to not and more importantly what people will do to survive is pretty much the focus of the book.

Indefinitely Banned

It looks great, Darabont is awesome, and it should give me something fun while I wait for more Breaking Bad.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

The comics are friggin awesome
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    The comics are friggin awesome
    I'm gonna have to try and get the comics, hopefully the show will be good, looks like there hoping it is as they've just Greenlighted a second series of it even before the first one has come out

Yeah originally it was just a pilot and before it was filmed it got picked up for season 1 and now we get season 2 so AMC must be REAL happy with the way the show is shaping up. Wonder how graphic AMC will let the show be, not necessarily with zombie stuff but there is some absolute brutal stuff in The Best Defense storyline.

AMC+zombies = pure win. AMC in the last few years is showing that it is the best channel on TV with its ability to not only produce the best drama's out there, but to keep them funded for more then one season. If this was FOX we were talking about then we could probably bet that the series would be canceled half way through its first season in favor of a new reality show like Dancing with Convicts ( I will never forgive that station for canceling Firefly).

At the very least we don't have to watch a bunch of brits running around on an island waiting for their government to save them and hoping they stumble onto something more effective then a cricket bat.

On the flip side a zombie apocalypse romero style in the US would end within days due to the huge proliferation of firearms here in the states. Zombie apocalypses make more sense in nations that have relinquished their right to self protection in favor of allowing the government to have the sole authority in the use of force (in other words: pussy nations).

Dunno you have to factor in initial disbelief factor, the panic of trying to figure out whats going, what is the cause of the outbreak etc. One common occurrence in zombie novels is bunch of people get sick/bit etc they go hospital and before any clue whats going on the entire hospital is overrun which goes and overruns the town etc. Militia groups would do well in defense of themselves probably but I think in major cities (where citizen gunownership is lower) they would be overran in days.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    Dunno you have to factor in initial disbelief factor, the panic of trying to figure out whats going, what is the cause of the outbreak etc. One common occurrence in zombie novels is bunch of people get sick/bit etc they go hospital and before any clue whats going on the entire hospital is overrun which goes and overruns the town etc. Militia groups would do well in defense of themselves probably but I think in major cities (where citizen gunownership is lower) they would be overran in days.
    well american mega cities like chicago and new york would fall just because of the citizen density and the horrible gun control laws in those places. But most american cities even places like LA would prevail. I alone could secure my subdivision which is like 425 houses just with my own arms cache, just to put things in perspective.

So ya apart from a few major cities being lost I imagine the US would be the least affected nation. This is in due part to our large standing military, huge amounts of reservists, lots of ex-military, lots of hunters, etc. You also have the more common practice of people concealed carrying and the simple fact that we have over 400 million firearms floating around here. Slow moving stupid zombies just are not going to do much in this situation.

Brits on the other hand live in a cramped nation with little food supplies, few weapons and a very submissive demeanor apart from the typical football hooliganism. Sorry but the brits are completely screwed as are most nations.

Well one thing for sure when the dead rise people in Shanghai, Karachi and India are screwed But with your defense of 425 houses thing...what do you think happens when NYC and Chicago are overran? Thats 10 million zombies, 30 million if count the metro areas falling to the infection...where you think they going to go next? Almost all zombie outbreaks have the creatures tending to all move in one direction when properly motivated. I dont care how many guns you got if 100,000 zombies show up you are toast. Cities like LA might have lots of guns due to gun crimes but Im pretty sure gang bangers arent exactly marksmen to be able to hit them in the head either.