Page 199 of 201 FirstFirst ... 99 149 174 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,980 of 4019

Thread: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: The Walking Dead: TV Series (Comic spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by maxi90 View Post
    *Sigh*

Oh, TWD, why can´t you be good?

Edit: Wait, was this the finale?
    Mid-season finale and back in Feb.

It's worth noting that Creepy and Eerie were just as gory in the early 60s and 70s. It only took 45 years to make it to television and be popular and mainstream.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; November 30, 2015 at 09:23 PM.

A Man's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    So your idea of Art probably means making little profits in television which must be PC to survive versus the horror graphic novel niche.

Zombie media was once considered so revolting that it had a tiny fanbase, but today it's become mainstream with kids watching gore. I doubt mom and dad will approve of Jessie's comic book finale. The scene is so horrifying, I doubt AMC is dumb enough to proceed.

TWD could have killed her off several episodes ago versus such controversy that's likely to damage the franchise and turn the creator into a pariah. Not to mention Carl's fate.
    TWD has over 15 million people watching every week. Even if their ratings fall by a double, they are still one of the highest rated shows on their channel. Nobody in their right mind would write off those "iconic" death scenes just because few parents would not let their children watch anymore. Hell, children should not watch this show in the first place.

Well, Kirkman has many irons in the fire. The prequel didn't do well and Outcast is being released soon.

I doubt breaking his leg in that ditch with three odd incidents leading up to a 4th would best serve the franchise, right? It also damages the new series as well.

Put yourself in his shoes. Any sudden controversy harms the main franchise, the spinoff, and the new series, and all in two months. Not a good idea.

The source material is very popular, but it's not Shakespeare and immutable.
    Don't read this if you like surprises!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    People expect Jessie and Sam to die strictly because they're so unprepared. But they don't expect...
    Don't read this if you like surprises!
    Rick to chop off her arm since she won't let go, and thus save Carl. Women will LOATHE Rick if he does that. Carl losing an eye by being shot in the face is a CGI nightmare plus creates backlash
    All of which would seriously DAMAGE the show since the midseason finale was soooo lackluster.
    Then to do this given Glenn's popularity is the coup de grace Don't read this if you like surprises!
    Negan bludgeons to death Glenn leaving a pregnant Maggie to suicide.

No...I doubt that future. It's highly unlikely.

This would be as career damaging as the foolish Titus film that nearly ended Anthony Hopkins career.That adherence to canon, regardless that I liked and appreciated it[Julie Taymor is a genius], was soul crushing for everyone in that production.
    http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/13727...cting%E2%80%99
    After shooting Titus back at the end of the 90s, Anthony Hopkins had had enough. And so in December 1998, he announced that he was quitting acting. He said to the Daily Mail, "Acting is bad for the mental health. I can't take it any more. This has got to stop. I have wasted my life … To hell with this stupid showbusiness, this ridiculous showbiz, this futile wasteful life”. Since then, he’s appeared in 17 films. The reports at the time were that he was simply fed up with making Titus, and letting off steam.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; December 01, 2015 at 08:58 AM.

A Man's Avatar Ordinarius

I completely understand you, but I just cannot accept that. I am not looking at it from a "business" point of view, I just want good storytelling filled with scary and thrilling scenes, which we are unfortunately getting less with every season. That specific scene we are talking about is one of the most horrorish things I've read in the comics and I would love to see it being transitioned on the screen. I don't care if moms and dads will accept it or not, this is not a fan-service TV show. There wasn't any major controversies to Hershel getting his head cut off by The Governor, Beth getting her head blown up by Dawn, or Lori dying while giving birth forcing her son to shoot her in the head... so why would there be if this happens?

And in case you like surprises, here goes the spoiler:
    Sam getting swarmed by the walkers, Jesse getting her hand cut by Rick, Ron shooting Carl in the eye and Michonne immediately killing Ron with her sword is all pretty much confirmed by TSDF to happen in episode 9. And TSDF are never wrong.

TWD is a world-wide franchise in 120 countries.

http://www.wetpaint.com/amc-makes-how-much-610563/
    For those of you who aren’t great at math (like us!) at a rate of $326,000 for each 30-second commercial, AMC makes around $11 million per TWD episode, assuming there are 18 minutes worth of commercials, as is often the case with one-hour dramas.
    And while the $2.75 million that AMC spends on each episode of TWD— according to The Hollywood Reporter—may seem lofty, it’s nothing when you consider that the network is pocketing upwards of $8 million a week!
    That's merely domestic advertising profits in the USA.

Would you kill the golden goose for the sake of that horrific mayhem? I wouldn't, nor risk the paychecks of the crew.

After six seasons making gazillions at a time of financial uncertainty with big name actors looking to lock-in steady salaries, it's insanity to do anything that harms the franchise. Each move is carefully calculated versus contracts and focus groups and marketing studies, or else lose that 8 million in revenue/episode and untold revenue in syndication and merchandising.

Truly, they probably shouldn't have killed off Merle, but his other contract obligations made it a necessity.
    Outcast will be as big as TWD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcast_%28TV_series%29
    http://io9.com/the-creepy-first-trai...t-t-1717284520
    Now that The Walking Dead is a huge hit, there’s another Robert Kirkman comic coming to TV: Outcast, the tale of a man whose loved ones have been plagued by demonic possession since he was a child. The first trailer showed today at San Diego Comic-Con, giving us a taste of the new supernatural horror show.

Sadly, the creepiest footage from the Outcast Comic-Con panel wasn’t released online, and I won’t spoil it for you here. But this gives us a hint at the show’s tone, and introduces us to Kyle Barnes (Patrick Fugit), the man surrounded by these possession incidents, his adoptive sister Megan Holter (Wrenn Schmidt), and Reverend Anderson (Philip Glenister), an alcoholic West Virginia preacher:
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; December 01, 2015 at 01:28 PM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I'm wondering if a taser would do anything a zombie. Most non-lethal weapons such as pepper spray wouldn't do anything, but would the electric current temporarily disable a zombie? Or does it require living tissue for it to work?

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Sadly the creator made it nonsensical, as "walkers" don't undergo oxidative phosphoralation (Kreb's Cycle) as at least twice they stay alive while underwater, apparently don't need food as they don't digest, lack any sense as far as locomotion as only the brain stem is operating, hence there's no rhyme or reason to walker physiology. Too bad because some unique coping could occur with shocking them.

See the galvanic tests on cadavers i.e. the origins of Shelley's Frankenstein.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1519723.html
    Giovanni Aldini may not be a household name, but his contributions to science cannot be ignored. Neither can his macabre demonstrations of the power of electricity on the human body. Aldini was a real-life "mad scientist," and it's rumored that Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" was based on his life.
    Aldini is most (in)famous for his contributions to electrophysiology, or the study of electrical properties of body cells and tissues. He learned about what he called "animal electricity" or galvanism by jolting the dead bodies of humans and animals in an attempt to excite their remaining "life forces." In his own words, Aldini's goal was to "convey an energetic fluid to the seat of all sensations; distribute its force throughout the different parts of the nervous and muscular systems; produce, reanimate and, so to speak, control the vital forces: this is the object of my research, this is the advantage that I intend to collect from the theory of galvanism."
    Although Aldini's public displays of corpse reanimation earned him a seat at the mad scientists' table, without his contributions, we may not have medical treatments like electroconvulsive therapy or deep brain stimulation today.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; December 14, 2015 at 06:16 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Artifex

Blog Entries

I was like, yes, then noooo, then oh snap, then YEH!!!!

Possibly the best episode yet.

John Doe's Avatar Domesticus

Good episode but I'm not so keen on the cheap "happy" ending, I understand they had to get the walker invasion out of the story line but it deserved more than a fire and a few gunshots. Morgan apologising to a Zombie before crushing its head, wtf was that?

Harry Lime's Avatar Not a ToS violation
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Well, that was certainly action packed if a trifle Ramboesque. So glad they didn't gather on the porch afterwards tub-thumping "U..S...A...U...S...A"

Best part was the, literally, explosive beginning.

This was one of the worst, and the most damaging episodes for The Walking Dead.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

Middle Kingdom: Total War (Poll)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gdom-Total-War

Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

"We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

Well, that fight in Alexandria is pretty much how it goes down in the comic. Except for the RPG launcher.

The fight in Alexander meant that a large enough group of humans can take on a horde of zombies pretty effectively. That makes most of the hordes from previous conflicts and the groups flight pointless. They could clean the prison for example. Before, they were weary of a few dozen zombies. Today, they're capable of eliminating dozens of zombies per a living with a blunt weapon.

The death of the pretty lady's family? All to just create a change in Carl? Pointless.

There was a good article that explained this scene by scene but I can't find it at the moment.
    The Armenian Issue

Artifex

Blog Entries

Your expectations for the show are too high, if you haven't realised it's not what you want by now you might as well give up. I realised awhile back it's never going to be the dark and brutal show it could have been, but for what it is it's at least enjoyable.

It was enjoyable for sure. I loved how people joined the fight one by one. But, the way they did it, completely destroyed the premise. I don't think that's a high bar.
    The Armenian Issue

Check out the Flight 462 minisode. During a zombie outbreak, it should be a capital offense to knowingly conceal a bite victim.

I'm at the point where I really want Carol to die.
    Seems most people are taking the Morgan is an idiot stance, but I take the opposite.

Her track record isn't very good. Two kids she was responsible for a few seasons back? Dead.
    The Wolf that was showing signs of changing? She shot him.
    Sam losing his at the worst time possible? Because he was thinking about what Carol told him.

I think she does more harm than good.

Artifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh
    It was enjoyable for sure. I loved how people joined the fight one by one. But, the way they did it, completely destroyed the premise. I don't think that's a high bar.
    Fair enough, I thought the point was to show this group has learned, yeh it was an obvious way to do it and it was a bit over the top, but that's just part of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post
    I'm at the point where I really want Carol to die.
    Seems most people are taking the Morgan is an idiot stance, but I take the opposite.

Her track record isn't very good. Two kids she was responsible for a few seasons back? Dead.
    The Wolf that was showing signs of changing? She shot him.
    Sam losing his at the worst time possible? Because he was thinking about what Carol told him.

I think she does more harm than good.
    Carol has become the most pure survivor. Most who've got to her level have gone mad and ended up dead but she's committed to living at all costs, that means killing anyone who puts her or the group in danger. It makes sense because she was a victim before the Walkers came and survived that, she knows the value of prevention. In that sense I kind of like her now.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Fair enough, I thought the point was to show this group has learned, yeh it was an obvious way to do it and it was a bit over the top, but that's just part of the show.
    I believe that time was when they were in prison. They were organized and well-equipped.
    The Armenian Issue

Artifex

Blog Entries

That was another time with a small group. Now they have the Alex newbs who had to prove themselves. Rick didn't think they could, but they did.